Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
ffi and I fancy a train journey, just for a laff.:winky:
Not been on a train for years and thought the run from Northwich to Holyhead (change at Chester) might be scenic/interesting.
We'll have about 3 hours there for some mooching about and some lunch before catching the train back.

So, must sees, baring in mind we're on foot with limited time?

Ta

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Holyhead!!

Are you serious?

In a word NOTHING..

The train journey, will go past endless caravans, besides that, I am struggling, oh, you may catch a glimps of Conway Castle and Menai Bridge,,

Holyhead is not a place I would go and visit by choice, I worked there in the 1970's and it was terminal then, now Rigor mortis has set in, just time to bury it...

ShiftZZ

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I agree with Shiftzz, Holyhead is not the best place to get off the train unless you are catching the ferry to Ireland, better options are Conway / Llandudno or Chester all with pleasant ways of passing a few hours. Having said that don't think that Anglsey itself is not worth a visit it is a beautiful Island were you could easily spend a month and still have a lot more to see.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BionicPixie

Free Member
Aug 15, 2009
non
Funster No
MH
Exp
i did similar with Borth to Pwhelli and had to spend 50 minutes in macynthlleth and got 20 mins in Pwhelli before coming back .... wonderful views all the way dolphins, ospreys and sun.
So I can understand your idea.

Holyhead is quite pretty if you get on a bus and go to South Stack and the far end past the terminal. There is a bird reserve and beach; decent cafe and fresh air etc. Easy to spend 3 hours around or near Holyhead and there is more than the ferryport to Holyhead itself!

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Thanks Guys..............you've just saved me £58 !:ROFLMAO:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
South Stack is nice, but if you are on foot, hard to get to..

"Public Transport- The no. 22 bus runs from Holyhead, Summer Hill stop to South Stack Kitchen at 10.45, 14.30 and 17.00. Return times from South Stack are 11.00, 14.45 and 17.15. "

So thats a no no..

I would stop off in Llandudno Junction and take a bus to Conwy...

ShiftZZ

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Bearing in mind you mention going from Northwhich I can reccomend a really nice train ride. I took the kids when they were younger and it's a fantastic.

Get on at Crewe and get the slow train to Cardiff. It literally goes through fantastic Welsh countryside loads of little place stops, and then have dinner in Cardiff and return home on the slightly faster train. Don't get off at some of the small stations the train stops at though, as often it's the only one of the day.:Blush:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
hows about doing a round robin...

Get off at Conwy, catch the Link Removed upto Blaenau ffestiniog, take the Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Railway down to Porthmadog, catch the Link Removed round to Shrewsbury and then up to chester

Or go the other way round...

Although its possibly a long day!!

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
just thought of another one :Smile:

Go down the heart of wales line from Shrewsbury to Swansea, and then back up to Nantwich (about 4 hrs)

or the other way round

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back