Holland, Germany, Switzerland, Italy trip (1 Viewer)

Eyegeedee

Free Member
Apr 15, 2018
Sunderland
Funster No
MH
CoachBuilt
Exp
I’m a one year old
hi all. Heading down through these countries later this year. First time with motorhome in Europe. I’m trying to establish which roads have tolls to enable me to plan the route and importantly to budget for toll fees. We have overnight stops booked in Germany and Switzerland, so alternative routes will be limited. Can anyone recommend a travel planning tool/app that highlights tolls roads and the estimated costs? Cheers

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
A good Michelin map will show the toll roads failing that set your satnav to avoid tolls.

Via Michelin is a good online mapping tool.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Are you crossing at Calais? If so turn left and get out of France ASAP. French tolls can be very expensive.

I have not been for a couple of years but most if not all of the roads in Belgium/Germany are toll free.

Belgium roads were a bit like cart tracks but Germany autobahns were good. But when they have a hold up they are usually monsters though.

Stop or pass through Luxemberg for cheap fuel.

Don't forget some German towns have Umwelt zones now and Switzerland has a Vignette system of tolls.

Else have a great trip. If you can find time meander through the Black forest and take in a bit of the upper Rhein in Germany. Both lovely. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Most sat navs have an "avoid tolls" setting. That will be the easiest way. Otherwise most maps differentiate between toll and non toll roads, but they all do it in different ways. For example Michelin maps have the distance between junctions in different colours.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The Michelin road atlases show toll motorways in a different colour. But I wouldn't get too hung up about avoiding them at all costs. They are expensive in France and can be avoided although sometimes it makes sense to use them for short distances. We use them a lot in France but you don't have to. :)

However, in Italy you may find it very slow and bumpy if you want to avoid all tolls and they aren't too expensive there so worth considering.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Via Michelin will do this - you need to go into the options and tick caravan and then it will show you the toll charges for the various routes for a motorhome upto 3.5t.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back