Holiday kennels recommendation please (1 Viewer)

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
We have got tickets to this years Goodwood Festival Of Speed, which is a fair stretch from home in West Yorkshire.

So to make the most of the trek South, we want to be away for a couple of weeks.

For the bulk of the trip we want to have our retired racing greyhound with us (she’s 10): however for obvious reasons she can’t go to the motor racing bit.

Our planned route is to go from Goodwood to the Isle of Wight.

So we are looking for any recommendations for kennels suitable for our dog where we can take her, drop her off, go to Goodwood and then collect her on the trip between Goodwood and Southampton, preferably nearer to Goodwood than Southampton.

I have found some on Internet, but there’s no way of telling how good/bad/indifferent they are.

Hence recommendations please (y)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Maybe you could try joining a site like..borrow my doggy. Kennels in Scotland at least fall way below what I think is acceptable, even the ones that claim doggy hotel.

I would try having a friend or so look after your dog at home. There are no doubt good ones out there but each time my dog came home stinking. Maybe England has higher standards, who knows?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not sure why your dog wouldn't be allowed into Goodwood, it's not obvious to me ... are they banned?

The thing with kennels is you simply do NOT know what they are like, as a retired greyhound your dog may not appreciate going back into that environment either especially if it's been a number of years since she's been there; we have had rescue dogs and wouldn't put them in kennels either.

Another option might be if there is a dog-friendly funster who would be willing to have your little lady for a few days near Goodwood?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MillieMoocher

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Thanks @irnbru , not heard of borrow my dog but will look into it.

There is a very good kennel which our dog goes to when we are up here (albeit 2.5 hour round trip, they only look after greyhounds and are superb). But if we leave the dog there, then we will have to come all the way back to Yorkshire to collect her before heading off - we were looking at being in the Deep South to go to Isle of Wight, New Forrest etc.

@Minxy Girl , yes, dogs are not allowed at the event - it’s basically a motorsport meeting and so dogs aren’t allowed - even in camping area.

If any Funsters want to volunteer their services, that’s great - but I’d never ask!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'd be more than happy but we're a long distance away from you!!!

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
We learn’t a hard lesson using a kennels ,Never again .We went away with our two yorkies left the cat,a kitten then for two weeks ,she looked hours from death when we returned .dehydrated, Plenty of food in her space ,I asked whether she had being eating they didn’t know .We said it would never happen again ,Where we go the pets go ,if they are not welcome neither are we .Cast in stone lol.

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
Catherine’s sister lives down that way on the coast at Pagham. We will ask her if she or her friends knows any good kennels in the West Sussex area and come back to you.(y).

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
We have got tickets to this years Goodwood Festival Of Speed, which is a fair stretch from home in West Yorkshire.

So to make the most of the trek South, we want to be away for a couple of weeks.

For the bulk of the trip we want to have our retired racing greyhound with us (she’s 10): however for obvious reasons she can’t go to the motor racing bit.

Our planned route is to go from Goodwood to the Isle of Wight.

So we are looking for any recommendations for kennels suitable for our dog where we can take her, drop her off, go to Goodwood and then collect her on the trip between Goodwood and Southampton, preferably nearer to Goodwood than Southampton.

I have found some on Internet, but there’s no way of telling how good/bad/indifferent they are.

Hence recommendations please (y)

Hi there

My sister-in-law has used Carleton Canine Centre which is in a place called Ford, Arundel, Sussex - very convenient for Goodwood.
They have a website.
Please note she stresses this was a few years ago now but looking at their website it is all up to date which in our view is a good sign that they are actively managing and caring about their business,
She says a lot of her dog owning friends like Primrose kennels (Bognor regis area) but she didnt get good vibes from there or the people that ran it so didnt put her labrador in there.
Not much help i am afraid but better than nothing.

John

OP
OP
MillieMoocher

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Thanks very much @Stagman for looking into this, it’s exactly the sort of help I was after. It’s so hard remotely looking at websites to decide whether the kennels “feel” right so getting the sort of insight you’ve given is really useful (y)

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
Thanks very much @Stagman for looking into this, it’s exactly the sort of help I was after. It’s so hard remotely looking at websites to decide whether the kennels “feel” right so getting the sort of insight you’ve given is really useful (y)
No problem. Hope there arebsome other funsters who may be able to help who actually live down there :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back