LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I may drive a considerable distance at the weekend to take a look at 2010 Hobby Siesta 650 Exclusive (Ford based), as a potential replacement for our current van.

Does anyone have any experience/opinions on this model, good or bad, to provide some additional context to my thought process in this regard? Any obvious/typical issues to look out for?

I'm hoping this model may have a reasonably generous shower cubicle / wash room in comparison to our old 2006 AT Tracker EKS.

Thanks in advance for any input! :)

Apr 20, 2012
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
1year 10 times
Had a 13 plate hobby siesta on a transit the base vehicle was produced 2008 by ford and converted by Hobby needless to say the tyres where 5 years old when first registered and it had obviously stood somewhere when we found this out we part exchanged for a different model and told the dealer he was not concerned at all

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
@RowleyBirkinQC Hi, we have that model on a 60 plate. First thing to do is check the payload, had to have ours uprated. I assume yours is the rear wheel drive with twin wheels. Ours had a spare wheel, sat dome and solar panel, went to get it weighed with a full tank of fuel, full gas bottles, passenger, 2 dogs and no water. Weighed in at nearly 3.5 ton.
Any questions you have, just ask.

OP
OP
RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
@RowleyBirkinQC Hi, we have that model on a 60 plate. First thing to do is check the payload, had to have ours uprated. I assume yours is the rear wheel drive with twin wheels. Ours had a spare wheel, sat dome and solar panel, went to get it weighed with a full tank of fuel, full gas bottles, passenger, 2 dogs and no water. Weighed in at nearly 3.5 ton.
Any questions you have, just ask.
Hi @daveandsan, thanks for the feedback, this Siesta 650 is single rear axle at 3500kg with an alleged payload of circa 500kg at just under 7m. I assume it's FWD.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I don't think they are mainly Hymer. I think it covers all converters who use Fords. It seems it is very easy to override the alarm and immobiliser using a bit of kit that can be bought cheaply on ebay.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Hi @peterc10 , I have also read threads about Ford based vehicles being stolen (mainly Hymer?), but I'm not sure when the security exposure was introduced in terms of manufacturing year.
It is the Ford Transit Mk.7 base vehicle that is vulnerable to theft.
  1. The Tibbe lock is easily picked. If the alarm system is linked to the central locking, picking the lock also disarms the alarm. The vehicle can thus be entered quickly and silently without causing damage.
  2. The Ford immobiliser can be quickly overridden by connecting an electronic device to the OBD (On-Board Diagnostics) port. The lock pick can then be used in the steering lock/ignition to start the vehicle and drive it away.
Security recommendations include replacing the Tibbe lock with a Hykee replacement cylinder, moving the OBD port to an unusual position and/or inhibiting access with a locking steel box around it, and ensuring that the alarm is independent of the central locking system. The Hykee replacement cylinder is only suitable for RHD vehicles. For LHD, it is necessary either to physically disable the Tibbe lock (relying on access by using the remote - subject to battery charge - or via the habitation door) or to fit aftermarket deadlocks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back