Hobby MTPLM/MIRO figures question (1 Viewer)

uphilldowndale

Free Member
May 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
I'm new
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and new to motorhomes in general. We are currently taking a look around to see what may suit us and I seem to be a bit stuck on the technical aspects of motorhome weights. I was hoping one of you kind folks may be able to solve a bit of a riddle for me.

I saw a Hobby T70 HGQ for sale. It seems like it might be quite a heavy van from the pictures. However, on the technical information it states the following:

MTPLM: 3,500kg (so, UK B licence post 1997 compatible?)
Unladen Weight: 3,036kg
MIRO: 3,072kg
Payload: 428kg

They have apparently deducted 428 from 3500 to arrive at the payload figure, but I cannot see how the difference between unladen and MIRO can be only 36kg since I always thought MIRO for vehicles was supposed to include the weight of a driver (75kg) and a full tank of fuel (circa 80kg).

Am I misunderstanding something perhaps or are there different rules in Germany which would allow these numbers to make more sense?

If anyone can help shed some light on the above, I'd be very grateful as it would have a real impact on our choice of van. I think we're likely to need a payload over 1,000kg as I want to take a small motorbike or scooter along occasionally, which rules out this particular van anyway, but its the way its calculated that I'm really interested in, particularly on German made motorhomes.

Thanks and stay safe.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and new to motorhomes in general. We are currently taking a look around to see what may suit us and I seem to be a bit stuck on the technical aspects of motorhome weights. I was hoping one of you kind folks may be able to solve a bit of a riddle for me.

I saw a Hobby T70 HGQ for sale. It seems like it might be quite a heavy van from the pictures. However, on the technical information it states the following:

MTPLM: 3,500kg (so, UK B licence post 1997 compatible?)
Unladen Weight: 3,036kg
MIRO: 3,072kg
Payload: 428kg

They have apparently deducted 428 from 3500 to arrive at the payload figure, but I cannot see how the difference between unladen and MIRO can be only 36kg since I always thought MIRO for vehicles was supposed to include the weight of a driver (75kg) and a full tank of fuel (circa 80kg).

Am I misunderstanding something perhaps or are there different rules in Germany which would allow these numbers to make more sense?

If anyone can help shed some light on the above, I'd be very grateful as it would have a real impact on our choice of van. I think we're likely to need a payload over 1,000kg as I want to take a small motorbike or scooter along occasionally, which rules out this particular van anyway, but its the way its calculated that I'm really interested in, particularly on German made motorhomes.

Thanks and stay safe.
Regarding taking 1000kg of bike on the back. You will need an enormous MH to cope with that cantilevered weight on the back axle. You would need a trailer anyway.

OP
OP
uphilldowndale

uphilldowndale

Free Member
May 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
I'm new
Regarding taking 1000kg of bike on the back. You will need an enormous MH to cope with that cantilevered weight on the back axle. You would need a trailer anyway.

Hi Jev. Sorry, maybe I wasn't very clear, I'm looking at a total payload of 1,000kg or over to cope with the family, hobby kit, groceries, push bikes and a little motorbike/scooter etc. The motorbike wouldn't weigh much more than 150kg all up on its own, if that. It will probably be a Honda msx125 or a scooter of 125cc or 180cc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hi Jev. Sorry, maybe I wasn't very clear, I'm looking at a total payload of 1,000kg or over to cope with the family, hobby kit, groceries, push bikes and a little motorbike/scooter etc. The motorbike wouldn't weigh much more than 150kg all up on its own, if that. It will probably be a Honda msx125 or a scooter of 125cc or 180cc.
Some better advice will be along shortly from scooter owners but from my own readings you are lucky to get 500Kg payload unless you go really big.
Jim wrote an article about payloads in one of the free to view MHFun magazines.

OP
OP
uphilldowndale

uphilldowndale

Free Member
May 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
I'm new
Some better advice will be along shortly from scooter owners but from my own readings you are lucky to get 500Kg payload unless you go really big.
Jim wrote an article about payloads in one of the free to view MHFun magazines.

Thanks Jev, I appreciate your comments. I'll try to find the article by Jim. I've been searching the forum and it seems it's not entirely uncommon to get caught out by payloads, so perhaps I was right to be cautious afterall.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Thanks Jev, I appreciate your comments. I'll try to find the article by Jim. I've been searching the forum and it seems it's not entirely uncommon to get caught out by payloads, so perhaps I was right to be cautious afterall.
PAYLOADS

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back