Hobby Caravans. Any advice please (1 Viewer)

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I am thinking of taking a Hobby caravan back to NZ soon. Has anyone bought a Hobby Caravan? Can anyone tell me what their quality is like? Not to worried about after sales service as it will be in NZ and doubt that I will get much joy over there. I am looking at a twin axle, rear bathroom, U shape lounge. Does anyone know any large dealers that I can contact to see their stock? I was hoping to see some at the NEC show but have a hospital appointment right in the middle. So inconvenient of the NHS to schedule it while the show is on......
Any help will be most appreciated.
Colin

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I had one quite a few years ago.
Can't remember the model but twin axle, rear bed, front u shape lounge....very spacious, bright and airy.
Either 26ft or 28ft...Can't recall.
At the time it was technically too wide for UK roads at 2.4mtrs but that won't effect you anyway.
Build quality was good with no problems but as the travelling fraternity favours them, along with Musterland etc, the built has to be pretty good.
Towing was easy, for a heavy caravan, behind a land rover discovery.
Biggest problem at the time, and again won't bother you, was because of the association with Itinerants many campsites wouldn't let you on assuming there would be another half dozen turn up with transits and roadrollers.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Great quality vans, but as @pappajohn says, not popular in UK because travelling frat use them, but travellers have the best.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Very good build quality, the Hobby motorhomes went through a build quality crisis about 3 to 4 years ago and I was told the Hobby caravan people went in to sort it out, Ambergate will give you info
Hobby Caravans (UK) Ltd Contact Details

Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
vt

vt

vt

vt

Broken Link Removed

Address:
Ripley Road
Derbyshire DE56 2EP England
mapcnt6.png

Caravan and General Enquiries:

TEL: 01773 853900

Address:

Ripley Rd
Ambergate
Derbyshire
DE56 2EP

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Had one as an import from Germany in about 2000 when the kids were young. Great build quality no problems and sold on after 4 years for a good price. At the time the british vans were flimsy and leaked you could walk on our roof to clean it . All the Itinerants can't be wrong!. The UK dealer was Ambergate overpriced and slow to deal with for parts there were a few catches that tended to break easily.

David

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you could walk on our roof to clean it .
Oh yes, I forgot about that aspect and it was a flat roof.
Very few caravans could take the weight.
The roof on our current caravan is around 1" thick and flexes if you push on the ceiling.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for your reply. You have put my mind to rest a bit. Just need to find a decent dealer that I can trust with the deal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back