Hob Pressure Cooker (1 Viewer)

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Anyone use a hob pressure cooker at home or in the van? If so what's your views on them and also the brand you are using. Is it one of those multipurpose tools which means we could get rid of some other stuff, e.g. Other saucepans etc.

Would prefer hob one as not always on hook up.

Cheers

Shawn

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
I've used a pressure cooker for years. Currently got an Ikea one cos it goes on induction hob at home. Good for stews and gammon joints. Have to be careful with veg cos they can become mushy.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have a cheapo Zurich branded one in the van €20 from an Auchan in Spain. Cooks at lower pressure than the one at home so takes a bit longer. We love it great for beef Burgoyne, stroganoff etc. Sometimes when travelling in the winter prepare the veg for a stew while having a lunch break and when we have finished the days driving pop it on the hob by the time I've had a beer and the boss a cupper dinner is ready.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Used to have a prestige one years ago which was aluminium and worked very well for years until the bottom bowed out a bit. 5 or 15 PSI.

Now have an expensive Swiss stainless steel one which cooks at about 10/12 PSI but measured in bar and can't remember the exact figure.

Have not used in the van yet but would not be without it at home. Does wonderful Xmas puds or steak and kidney puddings!

Kuhn Ricoh?

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i use loads , tower ,prestige ,butterfly elite, hawkins ,rochedo,swan.have 8 altogether
they vary from 28ltr to 1.5ltr..
the 1.5 is great for that 1 person meal.
i find 3or 4 ltr ones ideal for two persons . but have 5ltr ones as well.
the big one can cook 6chickens in one go. ideal for restaurant work.
i do use pressure cookers quite a bit .
these days in the camper the butterfly 3 litre and the hawkins 1.5 ltr are a permanent items in the cupboard .
mind i do use the gas oven in the trailer as well. cant beat honey roast gammon jt at xmas .
cant beat cooking rice or porridge . bring to pressure cook 2minutes then remove from heat wrap in towel etc , then carry on with the meat /veg and sauce . mind best not mix that with the porridge .
30 mins cooks a nice gammon jt. boiled ham ,ideal for about 6 meals .
plus if need be you have a large pan for cooking fresh crabs etc if you find some in the cracks in the rocks on the seashore .

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I've got a Tefal set - has a sautee pan and a deep pan. There is a glass lid and a pressure cooker lid which fits both. I use the big one at home as both a pressure cooker and a large saucepan depending on which lid I use.

I usually take the smaller one with both lids on longer holidays in the van, particularly in the winter when it's brilliant to use for stews, bourgignon, goulash etc.

Unfortunately I haven't seen these for a very long time. I bought the set nearly 20 years ago.

Denise

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've used one since I was a kid as my Mum had one so I was taught how to use it at an early age! Wouldn't be without one now, I have several but the one in the camper is a 5L one, just a cheap bog standard one, nothing special and works perfectly ... can cook loads of stuff in it but a gammon joint cannot be beaten ... lovely and juicy and keeps all the flavour in .... mmmmmm.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I've used one since I was a kid as my Mum had one so I was taught how to use it at an early age! Wouldn't be without one now, I have several but the one in the camper is a 5L one, just a cheap bog standard one, nothing special and works perfectly ... can cook loads of stuff in it but a gammon joint cannot be beaten ... lovely and juicy and keeps all the flavour in .... mmmmmm.
mind as i said at xmas in spain , cover a gammon joint with honey and roast in the oven , with honey roast carrots etc . beats turkey beef or anything else. have to take gammon or bacon joints from uk as i dont like spanish dried bacon .
at one time i cooked gammons for a living . the abbottoir i worked in had a freezer center . we supplied many of the hotels in cornwall.
i am a qualified butcher slaughterman , but trained as a chef in the army . many would be amazed at how much is cooked in pressure cookers . some cookers are walk in fridge size cookers . meat veg you name it . alot is fried or grilled to look roasted etc . even some well known fried chicken is pressure cooked . i certainly use mine alot .

OP
OP
shawn&emma
Nov 24, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks for all the positive comments. Have seen some second hand ones here in Belgium and thats whats got us interested. Were just putting together a list of other questions so be prepared for more quizzing.

Thanks again

Shawn and Emma.

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
We use an Indian Hawkins Contura... They're great. Extremely popular in India but originally introduced by a Brit. Compact and light.

A

Caron

Free Member
Jan 29, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail navajo
Exp
New
What a coincidence!I have ordered one from Amazon today. 5 litre Tower reduced from £140 to £38 the price reduction initially made me suspicious but it has lots of reviews and nearly all were over 4 stars. We love a boiled gammon so it will be good to try it in that.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We use an Indian Hawkins Contura... They're great. Extremely popular in India but originally introduced by a Brit. Compact and light.

A
I'd never heard of Hawkins until we saw someone selling them at a car boot sale so bought one for my Mum as the small size was perfect for her ... she absolutely loves it.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Get a pressure-cooker recipe book. You'll be surprised what can be done with them.

OP
OP
shawn&emma
Nov 24, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We were lucky enough to have been given one by our house sitting host. It was in the guest annex, and we asked did she use it and if not would she sell it and she said have it, given as a wedding present 25 years ago and only used it a few times. Result it's a 7ltr stainless steel Italian one. Emma's been trying loads of things out with it and with the spiralizer her mum gave her out dinner plates have never looked so posh. Think both will become a main part of our cooking equipment.

Shawn

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
We were lucky enough to have been given one by our house sitting host. It was in the guest annex, and we asked did she use it and if not would she sell it and she said have it, given as a wedding present 25 years ago and only used it a few times. Result it's a 7ltr stainless steel Italian one. Emma's been trying loads of things out with it and with the spiralizer her mum gave her out dinner plates have never looked so posh. Think both will become a main part of our cooking equipment.

Shawn
my mum used one alot .
while still at school i worked evenings in a local restaurant . i was amazed how many things were cooked in one . when leaving school i went butchering . i was already a saterday boy . later joined the catering corps . again pressure cooking was lots . it was then i learnt cooking in seam pressure cookers as big as a small room.
later did work in restaurants and hotels again pressure cooker the ideal tool . have done other jobs lots in fact . but the pressure cooker is a real useful tool.
its definately away of cooking and cheating time .
steam puddings can almost be cakes with a bit of practice .
but cant make cornish pasties in one . or bread.
but should anyone know let me know as well.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
We used to use a pressure cooker (in the house) -- an aluminium Prestige one. We tended to use it to shorten the cooking times for things that took a while like pulses, dried beans, beetroots, etc. Sounds like a good way of saving gas in the van (although we use LPG, so it's dirt cheap anyway). Without the pressure weight attachment we also used it as a large normal pan, so it could double up in the van. When you are watching the van weight (ours is 3,500kg so every little helps), I suppose it could help. I noticed that our saucepans, although space-saving stackable ones, are very heavy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back