Hit & Run Bas---d (1 Viewer)

Oct 24, 2013
Nantwich. Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
6yrs ish!
I would like to meet up with the arsehole motorhomer who thinks it's fun to come down a mountain Rd at ridiculous speed, whilst the front end is bouncing around like a rubber ball, loses control & uses us as a battering ram to slow him down, thus taking the drivers side wing mirror completely off, putting a large crease in the door, & all the way down the side of the van. Also Not failing to stop.
Now, we are faced with the prospect of not being able to do what we bought the motorhome for, ie touring (10mths old) But endless calls to insurance. Getting repair quotes. Increased premiums. Why don't they realise, it's not a car, there is a lot of length & WEIGHT behind you (Foreign plate). I really hope we can meet. "Your light will be going out " !!!!! :Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
What a shame... Lot to be said for in cab cameras.:Eeek: Hopefully your insurance company will be quick and you'll be sorted soonest:thumb:

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
sorry to hear this,,,,hope you get sorted and yes with luck,,meet up with the driver again on your terms,,,,:Angry:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Perhaps he wasn't deliberately driving like a lunatic but had over heated his brakes to the point of fade and simply couldn't stop? Little consolation I know but worth a thought perhaps.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I hope you reported it to the Police, was it on a getaway from a crime ?

Where was this ?

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Rotten luck, hope you're ok . I have my Roadhawk camera, wouldn't stop it happening but at least they could be found :Angry:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I really feel for you.

Something similar happened to me and the insurance company paid up for the car very quickly. It took 4 years for the personal injury case though... all settled now. The proceeds went a long way towards the MH but I'd rather have full use of my hands
:Sad:.

I have a dash cam, at first I thought it was a bit of a toy but it's brilliant. I leave it on the windscreen when we leave the MH as it looks like a camera and coming back to the MH one time there was a couple of youths looking into all the vehicles - we heard one say to the other, stay away from that one (ours) it's got CCTV. Maybe they were harmless but you never know. We watched them leave the car park and get on a bus..... didn't call the police of challenge them, maybe we should have.

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
at least your ok u could have been standing at side of van

at least your safe..
i was up that way the other day,, hired fcn motorhomes hope it is then the wee bas&*D will have a shit load to pay back ,,, if its not hired theres some damage to his or hers,, please get a dash cam pennies even with mini screen,, records every second,, hit and run would have got them 6 points and a £600 fine and damages to you,, there are cameras on some of the roads there not speed but compliance monitoring cameras ..
can u post damage to the van on here ??
best of luck sorting out ,,

Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
We also now use a camera recording our trip was bought from eBay cannot remember the exact price but it was just a little over £30 plus memory card and takes quite a good picture.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Got mine from Amazon and it was about £40 including the memory card. Technomoan gave it a good write up.

Obviously Chinese and looks like a camera from outside the vehicle. I have it on the passenger side, well out of the driver's line of vision and zoomed in a couple of times. When we stop I take off the power lead but leave the camera in place. The internal battery has a very limited life, that's my only criticism.

I'm thinking of getting a second camera for the car.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
It was the E-PRANCE

E-PRANCE New G1W Novatek 2.7" Car Dashcamera Driving Recorder + 1920*1080P 30FPS + G-sensor + Car License Plate + MOV + 140 Degree Wide Angle Lens + Night Vision

The bigger the memory card the more they cost. It doesn't take the newest generation of memory card but I just got the card with the camera. The instructions were pretty rubbish but there are You-Tube how-to tutorials.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IPDD37Q/?tag=mhf04-21 is the Amazon link. I'm sure they have been reviewed on this site as well.

Last edited:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Perhaps he wasn't deliberately driving like a lunatic but had over heated his brakes to the point of fade and simply couldn't stop? Little consolation I know but worth a thought perhaps.

D.

Very easy to do - my brakes overheated in Yorkshire as we were travelling around the moors and I thought that they had failed completely - I had to stand on my brake pedal to make any difference. Doesn't excuse the driver not stopping at the bottom or reporting the incident to the police.

easygirl

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
3 years
I would contact the local police for 2 reasons
Your insurance may insist yiu report
The other driver of the motorhome may have reported the collision to the police
Yiu never know

OP
OP
New Dawn
Oct 24, 2013
Nantwich. Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
6yrs ish!
The motorhome did have foreign plates, he could have had over heated brakes. Can't rule that out. I agree with the camera in the cab idea, and are now looking into getting one. As my other half pointed out, " it's going to happen at some point". No matter how carefull we are, or try to be, :cry::cry:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Sorry to hear about your damage

This thread has got me wondering what I would do

Presumably this happened on a windy bit of road, so you were both out of sight of each other soon after the glancing blow occurred, certainly by the time you could both stop safely I would guess you were

So would I have turned round to see if they had stopped, not sure, this would probably mean going for a good bit further to find somewhere big and safe enough to turn

The same would apply to the other driver, in this case foreign, equally not knowing what to do for the best (I am presuming in my situation it is not a simple hit and run, but a genuine accident)

So if it had happened to me say in France, I stopped when safe, waited and nobody came back, what would I do next? Being honest, having had a language issue with French police some years ago I might not bother if the damage was light, if there was broken glass I would report it

In the UK I would definitely report it as I know the law better, but the same as above would apply, I would stop and wait for the other driver to come back for a while, then go back to see if they had stopped. But how long would you both wait before turning back?

Another conundrum to consider when driving around next :Doh:

OP
OP
New Dawn
Oct 24, 2013
Nantwich. Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
6yrs ish!
Impact.

Hi everyone. Thanks for all your very kind responses to our "then" situation. We have had 3 quotes for repair work. One from a motorhomer (AA Approved) who lives 3 miles away. The cost has come down considerably, so have decided to stand the cost ourselves, rather than go the insurance route. Motorhome goes in on the 16th of June, repairs & re-spray of the affected bits will take a week. This allows us now to go forward & carry on making our plans to start touring France mid July. Have also taken on board advice about in-cab cameras, so went & bought a high definition camera, 32gig memory card. Runs for 8hrs. Any impact felt it locks recording, plus can't be mistakenly deleted. Cost £130. We would both like to thank you all again for your concerns & advice, & best wishes. This has proven to be the best site yet again.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back