Hit By An Hgv Truck While On The Hard Shoulder Of The M6 (1 Viewer)

Oct 24, 2013
Nantwich. Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
6yrs ish!
OMG. Can't even think what you must have gone through. Hope the wife is on the mend & that insurance is not a problem. Our thoughts are with you both.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
@Pollyandarthur , how are things going?
For the MH of course, but more important, for the two of you?
Hope Polly's injuries are mended Broken Link Removed and that you're managing to get over the awful shock.
happy-views-best-wishes-you-tube-tumblr-Facebook-Google-Yahoo-twitter-21.jpg

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Although no where near as serious, we got "clipped" on the back corner of our Motorhome while stationary on the hard shoulder of the M57 on the way to the FUN southport rally recently.

The damage was minor, and the driver stopped, but it was a frightening experience all the same, even being out of the Motorhome near the motorway was horrible and we were sheltering behind the RV.
I travel around 30 000 miles a year as a car driver, mainly motorways, and have never had to do this before and hope never to do it again, it was terrifying. Cannot image what it was like for you guys

Good luck sorting it...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Pollyandarthur

Pollyandarthur

Free Member
Jan 9, 2015
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph Approach
Exp
I'm a newbie
@Pollyandarthur , how are things going?
For the MH of course, but more important, for the two of you?
Hope Polly's injuries are mended Broken Link Removed and that you're managing to get over the awful shock.
happy-views-best-wishes-you-tube-tumblr-Facebook-Google-Yahoo-twitter-21.jpg
Polly is feeling better and the bruises are gone but she still has nightmares. The stress of the insurance claim has been awful, the fact that we had broken down before we were hit by the HGV has complicated things. I am told it could only have been worse if it was a foreign HGV that hit us. It's going to be at least another couple of months before its all sorted.

OP
OP
Pollyandarthur

Pollyandarthur

Free Member
Jan 9, 2015
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
I'm a newbie
Polly is feeling better and the bruises are gone but she still has nightmares. The stress of the insurance claim has been awful, the fact that we had broken down before we were hit by the HGV has complicated things. I am told it could only have been worse if it was a foreign HGV. It's going to be at least another couple of months before its all sorted.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Polly is feeling better and the bruises are gone but she still has nightmares. The stress of the insurance claim has been awful, the fact that we had broken down before we were hit by the HGV has complicated things. I am told it could only have been worse if it was a foreign HGV. It's going to be at least another couple of months before its all sorted.
I'm so glad to hear that Polly's physically getting better. I'm not surprised about the nightmares; has she (and you!) been offered any sort of counselling? - it helps some people when they've had a traumatic experience, and by the sound of it this was MAJOR. The insurance should be able to cover the cost if there is any.
Why oh why aren't insurance claims made simple? - surely you should just be able to give 'em the facts and they work it out. This can't help with emotional recovery.
I hope it helps to some extent to know that Funsters are thinking and caring about you, even if at a distance.

OP
OP
Pollyandarthur

Pollyandarthur

Free Member
Jan 9, 2015
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm so glad to hear that Polly's physically getting better. I'm not surprised about the nightmares; has she (and you!) been offered any sort of counselling? - it helps some people when they've had a traumatic experience, and by the sound of it this was MAJOR. The insurance should be able to cover the cost if there is any.
Why oh why aren't insurance claims made simple? - surely you should just be able to give 'em the facts and they work it out. This can't help with emotional recovery.
I hope it helps to some extent to know that Funsters are thinking and caring about you, even if at a distance.
It is good to know people are thinking of us and your kind thoughts are much appreciated.

triclops

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2013
Bury
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Born again
Typical isn't it - the insurance companies are quick enough to take your money for the premium, but drag their feet when it comes to paying out.
I hope that Polly has informed the insurance company about the psychological side effects that she is now suffering - she is entitled to receive counselling to help her over this awful event.
Best wishes to you both - hoping to see you on a rally soon :cheers:

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
If you don't mind me asking who was the insurance company so I can steer clear of them, disgraceful for you to treated like this

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Glad to hear that you are both recovering. Makes you wonder with the insurance how complicated can it be?
I'd have thought parked on hard shoulder & hit would be straight forward? can't be anything simpler surely . He has hit a vehicle that wasn't moving. There is no defence ,.........whatsoever.

OP
OP
Pollyandarthur

Pollyandarthur

Free Member
Jan 9, 2015
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
I'm a newbie
Glad to hear that you are both recovering. Makes you wonder with the insurance how complicated can it be?
I'd have thought parked on hard shoulder & hit would be straight forward? can't be anything simpler surely . He has hit a vehicle that wasn't moving. There is no defence ,.........whatsoever.
That is what we thought, however we have discovered nothing is simple. Don't think there will be a problem about who is responsible in the end but it's the process that is so stressful.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Pleased to read your both ok. A lesson to us all, they say the hard shoulder is the most dangerous piece of road any driver may use, I guess the lesson is to exit the vehicle asap,pleased to read the hgv stopped and no doubt his insurance will cover all your costs. Keep a note of all expenses the collision causes and claim every penny.

I echo all the thoughts of a quick and speedy recovery.

@Zains Pops is totally correct about keeping a note of the expenses. I had to fill out several forms and send receipts after my stationary car was hit.

"she is sore and bruised ....... "
Please claim under the insurance for Post Traumatic Stress therapy/support. The psychological damage of such an awful happening cannot be underestimated. I note you already show anxiety as you say "the dream being shattered". Seek out professional support to enable the dream to continue.
my thoughts go out to you.

Again please do this. It will not be part of the main claim but part of the personal injury claim that can take several years to settle. I was left with permanent (but luckily minor) injury after my accident - the personal injury claim took 4 years to settle.

Ask for this and pay for a private and fast appointment. It does help. You should be able to recover the cost but even if you can't it is worth it.

I hope that Polly has informed the insurance company about the psychological side effects that she is now suffering - she is entitled to receive counselling to help her over this awful event.
Best wishes to you both - hoping to see you on a rally soon :cheers:

Seconded.

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
A subject close to my heart as a current HGV driver, I am glad you are both ok & I hope that anyone that has read this thread has taken note of how dangerous a place the hard shoulder can be & in the event of any misfortune of having a break down or accident on any motorway than the 1st thing to do is to exit the vehicle ASAP this includes all children & animals & then proceed up the embankment & away from the vehicle preferably to the rear.
Next up use the phones at the side of the road as these are directly linked to the Highways Agency who will immediately know your exact location & hopefully put a camera in your direction & activate the electronic road signs aswell as get you help.

The hard shoulder is a dangerous place to be & you can be struck by any vehicle at any time most likely caused bu human error.

Please Take Care Out There....

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
The hard shoulder is a dangerous place to be & you can be struck by any vehicle at any time most likely caused bu human error.

I'm sorry to hijack this thread again as I feel so sorry for the MHers involved but to perpetuate this myth by HGV drivers that the hard shoulder is " a dangerous place to be " is just another excuse for their cavalier attitude to motorway driving that we witness everyday .
THE HARD SHOULDER IS A REFUGE AREA AND NO OTHER VEHICLE( EMERGENCY VEHICLES EXCEPTED) OTHER THAN ONE TAKING REFUGE HAS ANY RIGHT TO BE IN IT !!!!!
Jesus it's not that difficult to understand !

Last edited:

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp

I'm sorry to hijack this thread again as I feel so sorry for the MHers involved but to perpetuate this myth by HGV drivers that the hard shoulder is " a dangerous place to be " is just another excuse for their cavalier attitude to motorway driving that we witness everyday .
THE HARD SHOULDER IS A REFUGE AREA AND NO OTHER VEHICLE OTHER THAN ONE TAKING REFUGE HAS ANY RIGHT TO BE IN IT !!!!!
Like he said human error, unless you never make mistakes
Must be a burden to be perfect

Deleted User

THE HARD SHOULDER IS A REFUGE AREA AND NO OTHER VEHICLE( EMERGENCY VEHICLES EXCEPTED) OTHER THAN ONE TAKING REFUGE HAS ANY RIGHT TO BE IN IT !!!!!
A 'myth' by HGV drivers, that's why the police and every one else with even the slightest knowledge and brain power advice is to EXIT THE VEHICLE.

THE HARD SHOULDER IS NOT A SAFE PLACE

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I feel so sorry for the MHers involved
As I do, and probably everyone else following this thread. :(
this myth by HGV drivers that the hard shoulder is " a dangerous place to be " is just another excuse for their cavalier attitude to motorway driving that we witness everyday .
However, I take offence to your blanket statement. You appear to be targeting a particular group of motorway users, whose speed restrictions and lane restrictions are greater than other motorway users, many of whom, (by their inconsiderate actions and lane discipline) are obviously unaware of the rules of the motorway. :mad:

There is good and bad in all aspects of driving, but to target all HGV/PSV drivers who drive professionally for a living, is totally OUT OF ORDER.

Regards,

Jock.

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
Just another car driver ?..wanting to blame the truck driver again. Heaven forbid the thought it might have been a car driver who forced the hgv driver to swerve... You should try driving an HGV for a day, the car/van drivers cutting corners, cutting roundabouts. But it's the motorways where the car/van drivers really try my patience, they just can't wait to get in front of you, they overtake then slam on the brakes and all for what a few yards further down the road.

Ja63

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
Cannock
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero Black Ed
Exp
None except for one weeks hire
Devastating to have your pride and joy smashed up but thank god your wife got out in one (very bruised) piece, and you of course.

I hope the insurance and repair/replacement is sorted quickly so you can get back out there. Terrible experience for you both, you must've been frightened half to death.

Take care and keep us all up to date with getting back on the road (if you are intending to?). Don't let this put you off.....I doubt if you would ever be this unlucky again!

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I have been wondering how you got on, good to know you are on the mend, hope the nightmares get easier and the insurance sorted, and the nightmares go away and the dreams you had can become reality again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back