Hit By An Hgv Truck While On The Hard Shoulder Of The M6 (1 Viewer)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
What an amazing escape did you have a hazard triangle out? Insurance should not be a problem.

Desperately trying to think what good a warning triangle would have done :)

The truck had passed over the solid white line any way

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I am guessing it is an excuse as well however. If when driving an HGV another HGV is passing you on the right he cannot see the hard shoulder as you are blocking his view. If he is half way passed you and starts to come in then staying put will cause a massive accident. His sheer weight will push you and there is massive risk of a ricochet that could send you spinning across all the carriageways. If you don't believe me just search youtube for truck crashes you will soon come across one where one HGV clips another and sends it skidding everywhere.

I am sure you have seen the mess when 2 HGV's have had an accident. It usually involves many more vehicles and all lanes closed. In one accident I saw that a nudge from one HGV on another sent the other one over the central reservation into oncoming traffic.

Not what you want to hear but one way to overcome it is to make the maximum & minimum for lgv's 56mph & then ban any overtaking.
Additionally ban any company vehicle from the motorways that has a lower speed limiter fitted ( Tescos tat. No doubt there are other's)
Stops all this " I can go 1 mph faster so I'll take 17 miles to get past/ we'll block up 3 of the 4 lanes as we are allowed in them" .etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
The driver has made a mistake, I bet he/she is mortified . I do not think he did it on purpose. Where ever there is a human element involved things will happen, we are not robots. Like I said before trucks controlled by computers will not be far away.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Not what you want to hear but one way to overcome it is to make the maximum & minimum for lgv's 56mph & then ban any overtaking.
Additionally ban any company vehicle from the motorways that has a lower speed limiter fitted ( Tescos tat. No doubt there are other's)
Stops all this " I can go 1 mph faster so I'll take 17 miles to get past/ we'll block up 3 of the 4 lanes as we are allowed in them" .etc.

I have often wondered about this elephant racing thing they do to be honest. While doing my training I got into this situation a couple of times where an HGV was overtaking mine. I simply let off on the throttle just a little, the overtaking HGV then got past me pretty quick and pulled in and I was back on the throttle. 5-10 seconds of a little less throttle didn't damage my progress at all and helped everyone else.

I am not going to agree with everyone doing the same speed. Some loads do require a slower speed and I can think of many reasons why vehicles do different speeds. Banning overtaking would be bad I think. Something sensible like once a vehicle has committed to an overtake and is almost along side you, the HGV being overtaken must ease off enough to allow the overtaking vehicle to clear you quickly and efficiently. This should come with an enforceable penalty.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Wow that was a close one, pleased you are both OK, hopefully the insurance company with get a replacement van PDQ.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I have often wondered about this elephant racing thing they do to be honest. While doing my training I got into this situation a couple of times where an HGV was overtaking mine. I simply let off on the throttle just a little, the overtaking HGV then got past me pretty quick and pulled in and I was back on the throttle. 5-10 seconds of a little less throttle didn't damage my progress at all and helped everyone else.

I am not going to agree with everyone doing the same speed. Some loads do require a slower speed and I can think of many reasons why vehicles do different speeds. Banning overtaking would be bad I think. Something sensible like once a vehicle has committed to an overtake and is almost along side you, the HGV being overtaken must ease off enough to allow the overtaking vehicle to clear you quickly and efficiently. This should come with an enforceable penalty.

When driving trucks I always backed off to let faster trucks get past without inconveniencing others.
It doesn't take much effort or cost much time. If you are heavier and struggling up the hills, just accept you will be slower.
It winds me up when I see heavy trucks overtaken on upgrades by others and then in turn overtake them on the downgrades due to their weight beating the speed limiter on overrun. The lighter trucks then have to overtake them again on the next uphill stretch!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

When driving trucks I always backed off to let faster trucks get past without inconveniencing others.
It doesn't take much effort or cost much time. If you are heavier and struggling up the hills, just accept you will be slower.
It winds me up when I see heavy trucks overtaken on upgrades by others and then in turn overtake them on the downgrades due to their weight beating the speed limiter on overrun. The lighter trucks then have to overtake them again on the next uphill stretch!
And most of them are on timed drops, usually 15 mins before, or 15 mins after their booked time for delivery. Anything outside that 15 mins each way, usually means that they either go to the back of the queue, or their firm has to book another timed slot.
It is TESCO, ALDI, LIDL, SAINSBURY, WAITROSE, MORRISONS, IKEA, (and the likes) etc, etc, that you need to be voicing your concerns at, as it is they that make the rules, and "dictate" to the suppliers and transport companies.
To even reach those customers who have a 30 min allowance either way of a booking time, can often be a challenge, especially when you are trunking/overnighting, so any minor delay over say hundreds of miles, soon mounts up. The pressure comes down from the customer, and always ends up in the driver's lap, and that's not fair.

Those not having anything to do with the transport industry in any shape or form, need to be aware, that the greater majority of HGV/LGVdrivers pulled by VOSA/DVSA, and found to be flouting EU Tachograph Rules and Regulations, are drivers of foreign companies visiting the UK whilst making deliveries, and are not usually UK based drivers.
Also, a large number of UK registered trucks on Britains roads these days, are driven by Eastern Europeans, who don't seem to appreciate the need to comply with the same EU Regs, that (should) apply in their country within the EU, so please don't think that because it is a UK Reg No, that it is a Brit driving that truck, in that irresponsible manner.

None of this in any shape or form, detracts from the awful situation that Polly & Arthur found themselves in, however, in the absence of hard fact evidence, unfortunately, many of the posts above are nothing other than speculation, which is all too easy when sat at home in the comfort of an armchair.

@jonandshell, the Constabulary I think you are referring, to with regards to the Traffic Police having their own HGV tractor unit, may have been Essex. Two of their officers are twins, with one of them being an HGV qualified officer within the Traffic Department.

Regards,

Jock.

Last edited:

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
you are both safe thank the lord hug each other every day keep on m/hing its the only way hope to meet one day keep on smiling ray

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
you are both safe thank the lord hug each other every day keep on m/hing its the only way hope to meet one day keep on smiling ray

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
And most of them are on timed drops, usually 15 mins before, or 15 mins after their booked time for delivery. Anything outside that 15 mins each way, usually means that they either go to the back of the queue, or their firm has to book another timed slot.
It is TESCO, ALDI, LIDL, SAINSBURY, WAITROSE, MORRISONS, IKEA, (and the likes) etc, etc, that you need to be voicing your concerns at, as it is they that make the rules, and "dictate" to the suppliers and transport companies.
To even reach those customers who have a 30 min allowance either way of a booking time, can often be a challenge, especially when you are trunking/overnighting, so any minor delay over say hundreds of miles, soon mounts up. The pressure comes down from the customer, and always ends up in the driver's lap, and that's not fair.

Those not having anything to do with the transport industry in any shape or form, need to be aware, that the greater majority of HGV/LGVdrivers pulled by VOSA/DVSA, and found to be flouting EU Tachograph Rules and Regulations, are drivers of foreign companies visiting the UK whilst making deliveries, and are not usually UK based drivers.
Also, a large number of UK registered trucks on Britains roads these days, are driven by Eastern Europeans, who don't seem to appreciate the need to comply with the same EU Regs, that (should) apply in their country within the EU, so please don't think that because it is a UK Reg No, that it is a Brit driving that truck, in that irresponsible manner.

None of this in any shape or form, detracts from the awful situation that Polly & Arthur found themselves in, however, in the absence of hard fact evidence, unfortunately, many of the posts above are nothing other than speculation, which is all too easy when sat at home in the comfort of an armchair.

@jonandshell, the Constabulary I think you are referring, to with regards to the Traffic Police having their own HGV tractor unit, may have been Essex. Two of their officers are twins, with one of them being an HGV qualified officer within the Traffic Department.

Regards,

Jock.

The hard facts are that this unfortunate couple had broken down and had stopped in a " refuge " area in a place where no HGV vehicle had a right to be , the hard fact is that he hit them .
The hard fact is that vehicles have brakes as well as the loud pedal .
His explanation is spurious at best and most likely a total lie.
I hope he is prosecuted and the full weight of the law is felt by him .

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
A stupid woman wearing a head scarf so probably couldnt see let alone drive,was on the hard shoulder on our way back from St Annes last week. She indicated to pull back on the carriageway just after a bend, she got up to 20 and turned straight out, no messing. I had to slam all on and swerve out into the middle lane as I was doing around 60, luckily the other drivers behind me reacted well. She wasnt fit to drive and if I hadn't reacted correctly she wouldn't have been here to tell the story.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi Adbt. I am truly pleased this couple could walk away,they are the very best of accidents to be involved in

"Refuge area ?" In name only,if you read other posts,police advice,interview recovery people,those still alive,it is anything but.Not only lorries,but vans,cars have all ended up smashing into vehicles stationary on the hard shoulder..."Refuge"sorry. "Lineing Up" Not a new thing,watch next time you are on a m/way and are coming up to a vehicle stood on the Hard shoulder,the drift towards he near side,before straightening up,or not in this case.
The drivers fate will be given when all sorts of information has been sifted through,perhaps there may be a motorway area cctv camera in the area that will have captured the accident.
There is a survey being carried out now,about the "speed limiter and its part in lorry accidents",it is studying the effect of control being taken away from the driver in this area, when the limiter cuts in. This is being conducted by health and safety concerned people,cause and effect.
------------- --------------- ----------------
On another forum a couple of years ago,a M/homer clipped a stationary vehicle on an actual road,and went on to explain in words to the effect of. "I thought it was moving,when i got closer it wasn't,i swerved,but clipped it,damaging the nearside of my M/home ,should i claim ?"

Other posters suggested they call in at a police station/insurance,as it should not have stopped there .....Broken down........? Be carefull out there folks,they drive among you,in a multitude of various vehicles. Cars hitting lorries,if only the once LOL. had one run into the back of a stationary trailer 14ft+ high at a roadworks,had a walk back and asked,"Whats happened here then?". No damage to the trailer,the cow catcher had seen to that, he replied he had not seen me.... i turned to the driver of the car alongside him and said,"did you hear that?". no he replied,i did not see or hear anything"
Tea Bag

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I can't really add anything other than to say I'm so pleased that you are both ok albeit shaken up.

Best of luck getting your insurance sorted quickly and that you can get back on the road as soon as possible x

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Hi Adbt. I am truly pleased this couple could walk away,they are the very best of accidents to be involved in

"Refuge area ?" In name only,if you read other posts,police advice,interview recovery people,those still alive,it is anything but.Not only lorries,but vans,cars have all ended up smashing into vehicles stationary on the hard shoulder..."Refuge"sorry. "Lineing Up" Not a new thing,watch next time you are on a m/way and are coming up to a vehicle stood on the Hard shoulder,the drift towards he near side,before straightening up,or not in this case.
The drivers fate will be given when all sorts of information has been sifted through,perhaps there may be a motorway area cctv camera in the area that will have captured the accident.
There is a survey being carried out now,about the "speed limiter and its part in lorry accidents",it is studying the effect of control being taken away from the driver in this area, when the limiter cuts in. This is being conducted by health and safety concerned people,cause and effect.
------------- --------------- ----------------
On another forum a couple of years ago,a M/homer clipped a stationary vehicle on an actual road,and went on to explain in words to the effect of. "I thought it was moving,when i got closer it wasn't,i swerved,but clipped it,damaging the nearside of my M/home ,should i claim ?"

Other posters suggested they call in at a police station/insurance,as it should not have stopped there .....Broken down........? Be carefull out there folks,they drive among you,in a multitude of various vehicles. Cars hitting lorries,if only the once LOL. had one run into the back of a stationary trailer 14ft+ high at a roadworks,had a walk back and asked,"Whats happened here then?". No damage to the trailer,the cow catcher had seen to that, he replied he had not seen me.... i turned to the driver of the car alongside him and said,"did you hear that?". no he replied,i did not see or hear anything"
Tea Bag
Tbh I don't at all see the relevance of your post

Also making excuses for bad driving ( MH ers or HGV drivers ) is not on . There is NO excuse for hitting a stationary vehicle with its hazards on whilst on the hard shoulder , NONE .

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The hard facts are that this unfortunate couple had broken down and had stopped in a " refuge " area in a place where no HGV vehicle had a right to be , the hard fact is that he hit them .
The hard fact is that vehicles have brakes as well as the loud pedal .
His explanation is spurious at best and most likely a total lie.
I hope he is prosecuted and the full weight of the law is felt by him .

I am just curious but can I ask how long have you held your CE (Class 1) license and during that time how many times have you been in a situation where you had to make a hard choice in this kind of situation? Sorry for asking such hard questions but I am genuinely curious having just got into this area of work. How you can state in such absolute terms without knowing the details what should and shouldn't have happened. If you have a Class 1 and have been actively utilising it for the last 20 years more or less and know the ins and outs of this incident I will happily and publicly bow to your superior knowledge and experience.

I in no way want to take away from the OP's experience. It must have been terrifying and beyond imagination. However instantly jumping on the proximate cause without knowing the events leading up to it appears to me a bit hasty even though I am a bit sceptical of his his explanation it may in fact be accurate from my very limited experience.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Tbh I don't at all see the relevance of your post

Also making excuses for bad driving ( MH ers or HGV drivers ) is not on . There is NO excuse for hitting a stationary vehicle with its hazards on whilst on the hard shoulder , NONE .
I can think of at least 5 even while drunk (but not driving).....

Here's one just for going on with. Person in carriage way, little swerve to avoid them and clip that vehicle which you just hope against all hope has had the common sense to bail out.

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
I can think of at least 5 even while drunk (but not driving).....

Here's one just for going on with. Person in carriage way, little swerve to avoid them and clip that vehicle which you just hope against all hope has had the common sense to bail out.

What ?

Am I missing something here or are you actually drunk posting ?

And sorry to the OP for the thread drift but the fact that people can try and invent excuses for a HGV hitting a stranded MH on the hard shoulder is shameful

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
What ?

Am I missing something here or are you actually drunk posting ?

And sorry to the OP for the thread drift but the fact that people can try and invent excuses for a HGV hitting a stranded MH on the hard shoulder is shameful

I ask again, how long have you been an HGV driver? Are you C or CE (class 1 or 2) what experience do you have of driving 44 tonnes of Artic down the road. I am not trying to make excuses for the HGV driver. I am saying until you have walked a few paces in his boots and unless you have all the facts you cannot possibly make the absolute black and white statement you have made in your last few posts.

As a generalisation I would say in my opinion there are very very few reason that would excuse an HGV driver hitting a stationary vehicle in the hard shoulder. An HGV driver should always be looking ahead for hazards and anticipating them, he should also be preparing for the worst at all times. However I could not say even with my limited experience that there is NO excuse, as I can imagine situations where this could happen to me.

Please tell me how long you have been driving HGV's for and how you would have handled the situation of an overtaking HGV drifting into your right hand side?

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi Adbt
Please read my post again,this is not the first time someone has been hit in your?,"safe refuge area" by a lorry..whatever.. i was just trying to enforce all that has been said about the dangers of the "hard shoulder" of a M/way. I don't have to try to INVENT any excuses,what i have written is all out there as to....REASONS...being assesed in high places,as to why one vehicle or another,will run into a stationary vehicle in this area. So NO thread drift there

For mine and Grometts peace of mind, is there an, Alcohol Limit to be observed,over which you cannot post ? JOKING,this is the FUN Forum.
Tea Bag
PS. REASONS,not EXCUSES,it is a major problem and is being addressed as such by MIRA/DVLA/Police etc,etc. "Just the facts man,just the FACTS"
PPS From 17 yrs old i have been employed in the transport industry,was made to hang my spurs up aged 70 by my "First wife"LOL and am now 76,as you can guess,i have seen some accidents and will repeat,the best accidents are those you walk away from unscathed.
Good Night

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
We were travelling on the M6 yesterday near the Shap exit and the MH had a loss of power, we made it to the hard shoulder just as it stopped completely. We put on the hazard lights and tried to restart a couple of times but no go. We called the Peugeot line as they give free assistance for the first year, they said some one would be out to help asap. I went to get coats and Mrs went to the bathroom prior to going to wait on grass verge. There was a huge bang, an HGV truck hit the side of the MH taking out the bathroom and shower, in fact the whole corner and most of the side of the MH. How Mrs survived is a miracle. She is sore and very bruised but alive.
At least the driver stopped. The highways authority and the police were involved and we are hoping there won't be too much hassle re insurance. The MH is less than three months old and has not even done 1000 miles. I am so grateful we are both still alive but it feels like we have lost our dream.
I am very pleased you're both ok, must have been a massive shock.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Glad you are both ok. Gosh , the outcome could gave been so different.
I'm sure this will give you both a new outlook to life. It would us !

celandine

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Funster No
So sorry to hear about your accident hope your motorhome will soon be repaired and you will soon be back on the road a guardian angel was around at the time you are both so lucky.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi all
Thank you for you kind thoughts and comments, we will let you know how things are going and when we get our MH back.
Most of us will be hoping that you get a brand spanking new MH, considering but the amount of damage.

Stay positive. (y)

Jock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back