Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Minxy Girl,
I see from your photo in your earlier post that your Bond was a 1966 250G model and it must have been one of the last ones produced as Sharp's stopped producing them early that year.
Also was yours fitted with the single or twin cylinder Villiers engine & did it have reverse as I know it was an option?
It was the last 250 twin Villiers engined one off the production line I believe, we didn't have reverse so yours truly got to push it around occasionally!

It was great but a bit smelly as no matter how much insulation/masking you did some of the exhaust fumes still got into the cab from under the dash so most of the time we drove with the windows open ... I can still smell it now! 🤪

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
It was the last 250 twin Villiers engined one off the production line I believe, we didn't have reverse so yours truly got to push it around occasionally!

It was great but a bit smelly as no matter how much insulation/masking you did some of the exhaust fumes still got into the cab from under the dash so most of the time we drove with the windows open ... I can still smell it now! 🤪
I used to rebuild Villiers 210 engines as a kid in my karting days

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
The Messerschmitt used a Sachs 2 stroke engine, timed at top dead centre

As a result it could run backwards - so what you did was to turn the ignition key backwards and that started the engine backwards - yes really
A pal had a Bultaco (I think) trials bike that he could get to run backwards by letting the motor slow to a near stop and then catch it on the throttle to backfire and run backwards. All while he stood on the pegs stationary.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013

So you're no a 2 stroke fan then? 🙂

IMG_20200517_220653.png

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
To drive any of them at 16 on a motrcycle licence reverse had to be locked off. My mate had the reliant & that was locked off.

A) you got out & pushed it back B) or you didn't go backwards.
The law changed (not certain but think '60s) to allow reverse whether driven on a car or motorcycle licence. There are people who still think it applies now! The ones with the same number of gears forward & reverse actually restarted the engine in the opposite direction for reverse. Not difficult with a two stroke.

Edit: As Nasher said although some used to shift the timing for reverse running.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back