Hiring to tour Austria/Switzerland - complete novice

Discussion in 'Motorhome Help for the Beginner' started by RobC, Sep 27, 2009.

  1. RobC

    RobC Deleted User

    Hi Everyone :Smile:

    I have never even sat in a motorhome before, let alone holidayed in one so I need very basic advice and information.

    My wife and I together with our two young children (10 and 7 years) are considering a week (or maybe two) touring Austria and/or Switzerland next August.

    I would really welcome any basic advice on hiring a motorhome, simple do's and don'ts, likely costs of hire and sites. We would probably fly to either Munich or Geneva and pick up the motor home down there as we won't have time to drive all the way - also I'm guessing a RHD vehicle is probalbly best anyway.

    Any help and advice would be greatfully received. Many thanks in advance.

  2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

    Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

    Jan 5, 2008
    East Sussex 01-580-881288

    You are very unlikely to be able to hire a RHD on the continent or did you mean LHD?

    Part of the fun of a motorhome holday is getting there, crossoing the Channel, funsters on here will be able to advise you as to routes to Austia and Switzerland.

    If you want to hire from UK, best to book well in advance for August, we get booked solid for that period.

  3. pappajohn

    pappajohn Funster Life Member

    Aug 26, 2007
    YO11 2BD
    hi rob and welcome to the FUN...

    type "motorhome hire in austria" into your search engine.
    quite a few listed.
    expect to pay around 100euro per day plus any setup fees, mileage fees and insurance for a 4 berth C class (bed over cab).

    for switzerland you will need a special permit to use motorways but these are available at the border and fuel stations approaching the border and can be bought to cover a few of days to a full year depending what you want.

    hope it works out for you....

  4. RobC

    RobC Deleted User

    Hi Peter

    Doh..... Yes of course I meant LHD. and I realise it would be great to do the drive south from the UK, but I really don't think we'll have the time so I need to find out about hiring in Germany/Austria/Switzerland.


  5. RobC

    RobC Deleted User

    Hi John

    Thanks for the advice. Yes, Google et al is a great tool, but when you have no experience at all it's easy to get a bit lost, so I hope maybe someone who has done something similar might be able to cut a few corners for us.

    Thanks again.


  6. Judge Mental

    Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

    Sep 2, 2009
    Sarth London
    I would hire in Belgium and drive down via Luxembourg (avoiding French tolls and cheap fuel in Luxembourg) Metz, Strasbourg into the Alsace region and then into Switzerland...enough for a fortnight i would think::bigsmile:

    I bought my van in Belgium and the dealer hires as well: Lambrecht motorhomes he has the prices on his site. but call him and ask for a special price for a poor english cousin! lol
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  7. Bulletguy


    Feb 7, 2008
    For two weeks i would strongly advise you stick to one country only. It isn't really enough time if you actually want to see the country! Most definately hire from the country you decide to tour.

    Here is a link for hire in Switzerland;
    Motorhome hire in Switzerland

    It may only be a small country but i have travelled there extensively and you can spend an entire day just viewing one of the many lakes or cities (forget Zurich....thats the industrial heart of Switzerland.....go to Bern which is very beautiful). Also a trip to view the Eiger is an absolute must!
  8. ArenqueRojo


    Nov 10, 2008
    Anywhere in Europe, so fa
    Whichever country you choose, you will need a vignette. Easily obtained at the boarders or any filling station.
    In Switzerland, it is actually cheaper if your vehicle is more than 3.5 tons because you can get a E32 10-day pass. Below 3.5 tons you will need a 14 month one at £40!
    It is entirely possible to avoid the Swiss motorways and not, therefore need a vignette but you will need strong navigational skills to do it.

    In Austria, over 3.5 tons you will need a Go-Box. £5 to hire and a deposit of £75 hich they use to deduct mileage tolls. You get the balance back after 4 weeks.
    For less than 3,5 tons, you can buy a 10-day vignette for £7. Again, you could avoid motorways and thus the vignettes but there are a lot of quite major roads where you are either advised or ordered not to tow caravans. This doesn't stop a motorhome, of course, but can lead to some interesting driving.

    In both cases, I suggest that the worry a non-vignette trip would be is not worth it when all you want is a care-free holiday.

    With all possible bias, having spent the last three weeks there, - if you like lakes, have a look at the area around Salzburg. Absolutely stunning:winky:

    Happy travels
  9. Beachbum


    Sep 13, 2007
    Hamburg / Cornwall
    Hi Rob, here are a few shots of the Alps, in Switzerland and France, to give you a feeling of what you should not miss.


    Hiring is an expensive business. Some of the members have suggested to rent from across the water. That is wise and cheaper. Why not rent one in England for a w/e just to get the feel of things. A lot of the lads here are very experienced MHer's. Ask as many Q's and we will advice you as much as we can. I personnally, never drive the Highways, always the scenic routes. You save a lot on Tolls. Also I wild camp, another large saving on sites. Whatever you decide, make sure it is what you want to do. Have fun and enjoy your first experience.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2009

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice