Hiring a car in France - which documents needed? (1 Viewer)

Millie's Mum and Dad

Free Member
Aug 11, 2014
Funster No
MH
2008 Swift Bolero 630EW
Exp
Caravanning for 30 years, motorhome beginners
We're off to France in a couple of weeks time and plan to hire a car for a few days if we find a site we really like and want to stay put. We'll obviously have our passports with us and take driving licenses and insurance certificates but is there anything else we're likely to need for hiring a car? Also my driving license is still the old pink paper one; is that still ok or should I think about changing it to a horrible plastic photo ID type?

OP
OP
Millie's Mum and Dad

Millie's Mum and Dad

Free Member
Aug 11, 2014
Funster No
MH
2008 Swift Bolero 630EW
Exp
Caravanning for 30 years, motorhome beginners
That's really useful Bill. I'll print out codes for each of us just before we go.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We hired a van in France just before Christmas. All they needed was my driving licence and a few signatures.
I would recommend getting the codes also in case the hire companies want to see it, the French love bits of paper, so be prepared and take everything in with you including your passport
I would also recommend changing your licence to the newer plastic one, some companies may expect to see a photo ID especially abroad where this type of licence will be expected.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Think you'll find you need a new plastic card licence

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Think you'll find you need a new plastic card licence

Got an old pink license and never had a problem, or been asked for a code of any description. Rented in Germany , France, Italy and Czech Republic.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We're off to France in a couple of weeks time and plan to hire a car for a few days if we find a site we really like and want to stay put. We'll obviously have our passports with us and take driving licenses and insurance certificates but is there anything else we're likely to need for hiring a car? Also my driving license is still the old pink paper one; is that still ok or should I think about changing it to a horrible plastic photo ID type?
You will need a credit card, not a debit card. Driving licenses and Passports, I have never needed my code but worth taking it anyway. Enjoy....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back