Hire Companies That Allow Travel To Slovenia And Croatia (1 Viewer)

GreenHell

Free Member
Feb 11, 2014
Lancashire Riviera
Funster No
MH
Looking for a new one
Exp
2013-2015
Morning all

My Partner and I would like to hire a motorhome for 2 weeks just to make sure she is ok with the lifestyle before we make the plunge and get our own.

Can anyone recommend a hire company that will actually allow travel to Slovenia and Croatia? She really wants to visit Lake Bled and the Pitvace Lakes.

All of the companies we have tried only allow travel to the following countries:
Austria
Belgium
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Italy
Luxembourg
Netherlands
Norway
Portugal
Republic of Ireland
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We hired twice before buying. We hired in Germany as was half the price and think they have as many restrictions as UK companies. We used the Hymer dealer at Klon as we wanted a Hymer as that is what we were looking at buying.
McRent is a big German hire firm will be cheap than Hymer even though they are part of the Hymer group.

OP
OP
GreenHell

GreenHell

Free Member
Feb 11, 2014
Lancashire Riviera
Funster No
MH
Looking for a new one
Exp
2013-2015
Thanks Lenny i'll check them out

Hadn't thought about flying out to Europe to hire instead

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
I personally think that Slovenia from the UK is a bit of stretch for 2 weeks - its around 20 hours driving one way. So you'd end up either driving almost every day with no time off to explore, or you'd have some very long driving days. Neither are particularly good ideas for a first trip - especially if you're hoping to convert someone: you say you want to check if she's ok with the lifestyle.....does that mean she has reservations?

We did our first long trip last year (it was only our 2nd ever trip!) - we spent a week bumbling around northern France and then a week in Alsace. The most enjoyable days were those ones with a couple of hours driving and then visiting/exploring something. We did quite a few overnight stops but also made sure we had some time on campsites where we stayed for a few days to relax. Ended up around 50% driving days, 50% exploring (on bikes, walking etc.) and came back having had a wonderful time.

I suggest either hiring in Germany (as suggested) or save Lake Bled for next year when you have your own van and can maybe take longer to get there. I know how you feel though....the more I look, the more places I want to go. I just don't have enough annual leave to do it all in one year and have to keep reminding myself that all these place will still be there next year (or the year after!)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Meant to say "Don't have as many restrictions"

Do check what you get when you hire as when we hired Hymer's you got a Hymer that was it. We drove out so we had bedding and a lot of stuff with us still had to go and buy a couple mugs, saucepan, frying pan etc. I think McRent do packages you can hire bedding etc.
Big advantage of hiring in Europe is you can use a Motorhome as it was intended and can cross borders without the hire company shafting for the insurance.

McRent Link.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Just had a look at McRent's T&C "Journeys abroad within Europe are permitted", on a smallish van 2 weeks in May about £1300 plus any extras you hire. I put in Dortmund as the hire station.

OP
OP
GreenHell

GreenHell

Free Member
Feb 11, 2014
Lancashire Riviera
Funster No
MH
Looking for a new one
Exp
2013-2015
I personally think that Slovenia from the UK is a bit of stretch for 2 weeks - its around 20 hours driving one way. So you'd end up either driving almost every day with no time off to explore, or you'd have some very long driving days. Neither are particularly good ideas for a first trip - especially if you're hoping to convert someone: you say you want to check if she's ok with the lifestyle.....does that mean she has reservations?

We did our first long trip last year (it was only our 2nd ever trip!) - we spent a week bumbling around northern France and then a week in Alsace. The most enjoyable days were those ones with a couple of hours driving and then visiting/exploring something. We did quite a few overnight stops but also made sure we had some time on campsites where we stayed for a few days to relax. Ended up around 50% driving days, 50% exploring (on bikes, walking etc.) and came back having had a wonderful time.

I suggest either hiring in Germany (as suggested) or save Lake Bled for next year when you have your own van and can maybe take longer to get there. I know how you feel though....the more I look, the more places I want to go. I just don't have enough annual leave to do it all in one year and have to keep reminding myself that all these place will still be there next year (or the year after!)

Thanks for you feedback and I appreciate what you're saying. What's good for you isn't necessarily good for me, and vice versa

I used to have a van, so this isn't new to me. I did a very similar trip in 2 weeks in my last van :) We are both seasoned European drivers, aged 32 and 29 and both active. My partner has absolutely no problems with long days on the road. We generally do long European road trips 3 times a year, with several 600+ mile days. However, whilst we've been together I have never had a van.

It's not the mileage that concerns her, it's living out of a box for a couple of weeks. Sure, we could do it in the UK, but, we'd rather utilise our annual leave visiting places we really want to visit.

OP
OP
GreenHell

GreenHell

Free Member
Feb 11, 2014
Lancashire Riviera
Funster No
MH
Looking for a new one
Exp
2013-2015
Just had a look at McRent's T&C "Journeys abroad within Europe are permitted", on a smallish van 2 weeks in May about £1300 plus any extras you hire. I put in Dortmund as the hire station.

I've been looking at reviews of McRent online. I think i'll be giving them a miss for now

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I've been looking at reviews of McRent online. I think i'll be giving them a miss for now
Just had a look most of the reviews for German rentals were good I searched via Google Germany. Obviously with a set up like this the quality of service you get comes down to the individual dealer.

OP
OP
GreenHell

GreenHell

Free Member
Feb 11, 2014
Lancashire Riviera
Funster No
MH
Looking for a new one
Exp
2013-2015
Just for the record, i've managed to get confirmation off Wildax that their insurers cover travel to any EU member states.

I'm going to check out their vans at the NEC next weekend with a view to sorting out a rental with them :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back