Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Hello everyone . As a newbie I have seen that some members advice hiring a van before making that scary first purchase. Seems like a good idea to me , but I wonder if anyone knows of a good...and reasonably priced place to hire from ( some of the charges seem really steep to me).
Also second question, what's the best way to transport a medium sized dog(25lbs) on a bike? Are tow carriages cumbersome?
Thanks a million in advance

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
The trailers for dogs are lightweight and work quite well. You will only know they are there when going up hill!
Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Thanks. .....forgive my ignorance ...but...Do they pack small...space must be a premium in a MH?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We have a dog trailer for our two. The wheels are quick release and the trailer itself folds flat. Think we paid about £150 for it. It’s a steel one and is quite heavy, although it’s not an issue on the flat. An aluminium one would be much better but they’re more than twice the price. You need to introduce your dog to it over a few days, if you rush it you may never get your dog happy in it. We put ours up in the house minus the wheels and put some treats in it so the dogs get used to it before we tried it on the bike.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Would they stretch to a BIG dog..........I mean a LARGE dog?? If so, I was thinking that the wife might like one. :)

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Doggy Hut from Amazon about £60 folds up, and is light and robust.
"Top Tip" You have to remember its there when going through width restrictions on cycle paths, failure to do so can result in your dog being reluctant to go back into the trailer again!

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
I have a trailer from http://www.doggyride.com Our Cairn and Cairn cross fit into the Novel trailer. It's very light weight and they love it :) The wheels pop off and it folds fairly flat. Very easy to assemble and store.

As for hiring, we have tried to hire privately as it keeps the costs down. It's still rather expensive, but we would have made a huge mistake if we had bought the first van that we wanted. As a guide, we are paying about £100 per day.

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
I have a trailer from http://www.doggyride.com Our Cairn and Cairn cross fit into the Novel trailer. It's very light weight and they love it :) The wheels pop off and it folds fairly flat. Very easy to assemble and store.

As for hiring, we have tried to hire privately as it keeps the costs down. It's still rather expensive, but we would have made a huge mistake if we had bought the first van that we wanted. As a guide, we are paying about £100 per day.
How did you find the private hire,?

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
The world has gone quite mad ....i thought chuahawa in a handbag was bad but towing one in a trailer .....I've led a sheltered life lol
No seriously, it's dangerous to have a dog running at the side of a bike, so if we want to ride, then a trailer for the dog means we can all go...ok now?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
( some of the charges seem really steep to me).

That is easily explained. They are expensive vehicles and can easily be damaged costing a lot once returned.

It's no use just hiring a MH, you need to hire one something like the one you would buy otherwise it's a waste of money.

Look at the advert on the front page for John's Cross, a decent honest dealer who won't rip you off on a hire. Some crooks will try and sting you for damage you did not do.

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
That is easily explained. They are expensive vehicles and can easily be damaged costing a lot once returned.

It's no use just hiring a MH, you need to hire one something like the one you would buy otherwise it's a waste of money.

Look at the advert on the front page for John's Cross, a decent honest dealer who won't rip you off on a hire. Some crooks will try and sting you for damage you did not do.
Great thanks

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
We bought a dog basket off ebay ,fits on the handlebars,it's a wicker one with two bits of wire coming out the back,which hook over the handlebars and can be bent around.Tie a bit of string to his lead and then to the handlebars to stop him jumping out and job done!
You also get boxes that go on rear racks .Our dog much prefers to run alongside the rear wheel ,after a few near misses ,it's a position he took up on his first outing.When we come across other cyclists or dogs I simply pick him up and put him in the basket then let him out when clear.
He took to the cycling adventure strait away and when he stops for a wazz ,I carry on,and he loves the chase.
The basket from memory was around £25 and holds more beer than 2 plastic bags on each handlebar.

Vlad

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You'll find you can get good second-hand kiddie trailers much cheaper which do virtually the same job - just make the floor a bit more solid for them to sit on. You can get small ones meant for a single child which are smaller once folded up and easy to store on the bike rack with your bikes.

Jul 25, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 12
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Val has a belt which goes round her waist and the dog’s leads clip onto it with those plastic “rucksack” type buckles, much better than holding the leads and no “pulling” problems. We rode amongst traffic through the centre of York last Thursday night to The Brigantes in Micklegate (great dog friendly and real ale pub/restaurant). Dogs are happy to run against the kerb, don’t know how they’ll manage next month on the “wrong” side of the road in France and Germany.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back