rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I think they give you special stockings which reduce problems of DVT.
The doctor told me he is giving me an epidural and then putting me under so I will not hear or see anything
I will have to check what sort of hip they are giving me. I have bought an exercise bike and a pair of underarm
crutches off ebay as these are more comfortable. I will keep you informed. hopefully daily after the op.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I had my hip in the Nuffield at Exeter and had the spinal block - the epidural is what the ladies get when giving birth. I also had some general so I couldn't hear the swearing and carpentry as I said before. The next day I was walking with crutches up and down the ward. The day after I had to stairs and once they were done I could go home.

Don't worry about surgery nowadays its absolutely fine. I have had 2 back ops, one hip op, gall bladder removed and a hernia repaired plus tonsils and adenoids as a child.

The Nuffield will be first class and you will have a pampered stay with a nurse on call from your bed push button. You get a single room with ensuite shower room and loo, TV. You will get crutches a grab stick to pickup items out of reach and a gizmo so you can get your socks on by yourself which all go home with you and a loo seat raiser. You also get very tight stockings to prevent DVT.

Last Friday I had my second back operation and I came home yesterday as it was done by micro surgery so less invasive.

Most important thing that I can say is get yourself moving by walking afterwards and you will be fine. If you don't then those are the people that seem to have trouble.

OP
OP
rikfos

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp

Well I had my hip op on the 29th. I was given the choice of the general hospital in Hereford or the Nuffield- so the Nuffield it was. I had nothing to worry about I was in hospital at 7.30 in the morning and taken to the operating theatre at 9.00.I then had to sit up while they put 2 spinal block injections at the base of my back- the anaesthetist said it would be just a scratch- I did not feel a thing. The next thing I knew, I was being wheeled out of the operating theatre at 10.15 wide awake and quite happily talking to everyone. I was then taken back to my private ward, where I was given a series of injections. I felt no pain from the op at all after the op. I was up and walking the next day with he aid of crutches nd 2 days later I was home. Since I have been home I have gradually increased my daily walk from 800 yards to 1 mile and also cycle 4 miles each day on my exercise bike. This cost me ÂŁ40 and worth every penny. I would say to anyone if you cannot stand the pain of your bad hip get it replaced

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Used to visit an old lady in her nineties. She would always go out to lunch one day a week. One winter it was really bad weather - snow and ice. She was afraid to go out. So, stayed in the house for five weeks and had a fall in her lounge! Broke her hip. Went to visit her in hospital. Asked how she was. "Wonderful", she said, "I wish I could get ALL my old bits replaced!"

OP
OP
rikfos

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
not sure about the cycling straight away..did you ask consultant:censored:
The physio recommended an exercise bike, which I set up in the kitchen. When I come back from my walk I have a rest for 5 minutes and then go on the bike. This has made a great difference to the movement in my joints

OP
OP
rikfos

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Go for it- you will have no regrets 90000 people a year cannot be wrong

sparky

Free Member
Feb 19, 2008
bingley yorkshire
Funster No
MH
a class burstner aviano i
Exp
30 years
Hi I had a Birmingham hip done over 15 years ago ( not replaced resurfaced because oo age and still working) I am on 18 week waiting list to have the other hip done the same not had a problem with original hip ( metal on metal)

OP
OP
rikfos

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Have just driven for the first time- absolutely no problem. Op 3 weeks ago

Reactions: CWH
OP
OP
rikfos

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Today my wife and I walked 5 miles- exactly 3 weeks after the op. Now I am knackered, but no pain.
I m not doing it tomorrow- a bit ambitious

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Glad to here your on the mend, when I was recovering from an op I went to the pool (make sure it doesn't have deep end ) and walked up and down for 30 lengths really hard work but no impact.

OP
OP
rikfos

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
some funsters have talked about microsurgery- My scar was 12 inches long, but is hardly noticeable

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Its my knees which are a problem for me.

A drinking injury 2o odd years ago is really coming home to roost.:(

OP
OP
rikfos

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt