Hindermann Four-seasons exterior silver screens. Any good? (1 Viewer)

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Hi guys -

I'm debating buying a Hindermann four-seasons exterior silver screen for our year 2000 Fiat Ducato based MH.

We're based in Spain and do most of our travelling around the warmer and sunnier parts of mainland Europe.
So for us it's more important to have sun/heat protection than high levels of winter warmth insulation.
The burb says that these screens from Hindermann are less bulky than the "traditional" quilted style silver screens, thus easier to put on/take off and less bulky to store.

I think it's a German company that makes them, but they are distributed in the UK and all around Europe.
Certainly they're a lot cheaper than the "Silver Screens" or "Taylormade" British produced equivalents.

Has anyone got one of these Hindermann brand screens please, and if so what do you think of it?

Thanks.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Hindermann are one of the best on the market but cost a bob or two, and yes they are German.

Outdoor Bits have some Hinderman products for sale on Black Friday.

http://www.outdoorbits.com/specials.php/ for some reason it won't show o u t d o o r bits

Van comfort also stock Hindermann

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I have the Hindermann four season mat and have used Silver Screens on a previous vehicle.

They're not much less bulky than the pukka Silver Screens but all round are vastly inferior imo.

They have and need many bungee cords to keep it in place, the Silver Screens fits and stays there perfectly without any.

I find folding and unfolding what basically is heavy duty silvered aircap a real pain compared with the cloth material of the Silver Screens, plus the bother of clipping and unclipping about 10 bungees.

Mine leak rain water around the envelope door piece, I'm guessing it's capillary action and needs careful attention around the top of the door when fitting to alleviate this.

I use the mats primarily for thermal insulation in the winter, the Hindermann ones came with the van so I thought I'd give them a fair crack, but Ill be getting Sliver Screens again soon.

I'm sure they'll do the job of sun/heat protection you want, and as you say price has to be considered.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Our B544 has Hindermann Screens, this is (now) my van and I bought the screens to go with it, you will notice they attach to van with spring clips, works very well, also uses bungees on bottom. We haven't noticed any rain getting past the screens. They are quite a tight fit and also quite heavy, being one piece to go around side windows and front screen make them quite wieldy and takes two to put them on.

We had excellent Taylor Made screens on our previous van (Ford based) but these are much heavier material and also very well made, I think they'll last a very long time. See attached

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...xternal-thermal-screens-hymer-b-class.162241/

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I am a Silver Screen owner and find that it is padded sufficiently to isolate the van from heat or cold. Mine does not have so many dangly pieces of elastic (only two) but they can get annoying, catching on everything. I also have magnets under the side windows that hold the screens down in high wind.

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Our B544 has Hindermann Screens, this is (now) my van and I bought the screens to go with it, you will notice they attach to van with spring clips, works very well, also uses bungees on bottom. We haven't noticed any rain getting past the screens. They are quite a tight fit and also quite heavy, being one piece to go around side windows and front screen make them quite wieldy and takes two to put them on.

We had excellent Taylor Made screens on our previous van (Ford based) but these are much heavier material and also very well made, I think they'll last a very long time. See attached

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...xternal-thermal-screens-hymer-b-class.162241/

Those are thermolux screens, much better quality than the four seasons that Hindermans describe as affordable thermal mats.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think the 'four season' name is misleading, they are able to be USED in all four seasons but that doesn't mean that they have any thermal insulation properties as you get with the padded ones. Personally I'd look for a good set of second hand Silver Screens or Taylormade screens as these will provide much better insulation from both the cold and the heat.

I can put on our Taylormade external windscreen cover by myself without any problem at all, the added bonus is that it breaks down into 3 sections - the 2 doors and the front windscreen - so if needs be can be stored in 3 pieces too, or if you need to clean one part of it you don't have to mess about with the whole thing!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@The Nomad there's a set of Para-gon ones on Ebay at the moment, I've had this make before and they are good so worth a punt if the seller will post them?

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We use Hinderman, we also live in Spain, we believe they are better than the bulkier type that are British made...ours has the removable front panel. allows more light in during the day but filters the suns rays.....thats our opinion...THE END.

OP
OP
The Nomad

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
We use Hinderman, we also live in Spain, we believe they are better than the bulkier type that are British made...ours has the removable front panel. allows more light in during the day but filters the suns rays.....thats our opinion...THE END.

Thanks for that.

I'm trying to get less bulky screens than the quilted ones.
Winter warmth insulation is not a requirement for us at all.

What we're after as we live in/tour warm/hot countries is:
Effective sunshading (and a blackout curtain effect at night), along with a good fit and easy of putting on/taking off.

Do the thinner Hindermann screen achieve well those things for you well?

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
I'm sure I've seen some black thin material type screens for Hymers (maybe others too) that act as sun screens ?

As an aside, we were out this weekend in the Highlands, the weather was quite rough, high winds and lumpy rain, the Hindermans didn't budge even though we didn't attach the bungees.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Thanks for that.

I'm trying to get less bulky screens than the quilted ones.
Winter warmth insulation is not a requirement for us at all.

What we're after as we live in/tour warm/hot countries is:
Effective sunshading (and a blackout curtain effect at night), along with a good fit and easy of putting on/taking off.

Do the thinner Hindermann screen achieve well those things for you well?

YEP. Ours has thin padding, our van is Renault Master based, the fit is good as is the storage requirements.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Hindermann were making the screens for Frankia but couldn't get the shape right on the curved screen,so much so that Frankia have dropped them as a supplier.

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Hers are some pics on my four season mat. It shows some of the problems I have with this mat regarding fitting and the fit compared to the much better, imo, Silver Screen/Tayloymade ones. I haven't fitted the bungees but they are shown in pic 1

I hope it helps you decide if they will do what you want them to, ie shade the sun rather than stay put and insulate in a cold and windy environment.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back