Himalayan (Euro 5) - anyone got one? (1 Viewer)

Aug 5, 2018
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
You may be interested in watching an adventure biker called "Itchyboots" .. a web search will soon get you to her vLog. She used a Himalyan for one of her big trips

Reactions: Vic
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
A pal has recently got shot of his and posted comments on our bike forum. It's just one person's opinion but it may be useful to be aware of his experience :

Quote:
I got rid of my Himalayan because I lost confidence in it. There are so many issues with the bikes to be comfortable with, including having to replace the front wheel bearings after 3,600 miles and the steering head bearings after 4,200 miles. Both known faults that hadn't been resolved.
I was watching the latest Nathan The Post Bike Man on Youtube and his brand new 2021 Himmy broke down in the video leaving him stranded. Who needs that. Probably duff relays. How could you trust one on a real adventure?

The front brake hydraulic hose work hardens and causes a situation where you put the brake on and it doesn't release! Fix is to replace the hose and remove the silly rubber grommets that hold the hose in place (not fitted on 2021 bikes).

OP
OP
Roger20
Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
Watched quite a few videos including ItchyBoots and Nathanthepostman (his bike is off the road because he broke a sensor fitting the rear wheel).

I was more interested in how the Euro 5 rides compared to Euro 4 because you can't put a Booster Plug on Euro 5. I've ridden a fair few modern bikes with snatchy on/off throttle but not heard whether that's a problem with the Euro 5 Himalayan. But Euro 4 could be quite a bit cheaper, particularly secondhand.

Most of the comments and videos show the Himalayan to be pretty reliable - certainly both of the above have done big mileages with very few issues.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
A pal has recently got shot of his and posted comments on our bike forum. It's just one person's opinion but it may be useful to be aware of his experience :

Quote:
I got rid of my Himalayan because I lost confidence in it. There are so many issues with the bikes to be comfortable with, including having to replace the front wheel bearings after 3,600 miles and the steering head bearings after 4,200 miles. Both known faults that hadn't been resolved.
I was watching the latest Nathan The Post Bike Man on Youtube and his brand new 2021 Himmy broke down in the video leaving him stranded. Who needs that. Probably duff relays. How could you trust one on a real adventure?

The front brake hydraulic hose work hardens and causes a situation where you put the brake on and it doesn't release! Fix is to replace the hose and remove the silly rubber grommets that hold the hose in place (not fitted on 2021 bikes).
Unfortunately not the first of this type of review. It’s a shame as I really wanted it to be a great bike. Perhaps if they ever build a new one using the 650 twin engine from the GT etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Friend of mine Alex who has a adventure touring company in India, Nomadic Knights, uses them. Has about 30 of em and swears by them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back