Highlands and Hebrides here we come Sept 2018 (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We topped up our gas there David, I think 1030 -1600 on Sundays. LPG a bit dear at 85.9p but better than empty.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Its been a while since I updated this thread, feeling a bit sorry for ourselves without a fridge and we both have colds :( so we are sort of heading home

We made it up to Ullapool for an evening of catching up with Ralph and Bev (y) the roads made the 100+ miles hard going though and it wasn't the best of weather, waved them off on their morning Ferry to Stornoway and headed off ourselves in search of salmon leaping which we have been lucky with at Falls of Shin just south of Lairg

A grey day, but no rain while we were at the falls which have modified since our last visit a new viewing area and a new coffee shop, still makes an excellent stop over place, no facilities but really quiet

Well we got lucky again with the salmon, saw some large fish jumping, they never seem to get anywhere near the top and actually wonder if they jump out to have a look then swim up through the water when they have worked out the best place :)

DSCN0338.JPG

DSCN0339.JPG

you stand about 50' away from the falls and really get a great sight, we had not seen them till a few years back, something we had always wanted to see

From here we had to pick between Fortrose and Findhorn Valley, they are too close together to fit both into our return journey, following Ralph and Bev's success with the deer at FV which we have missed the last 2 attempts, so we opted for FV, arrived about 6:30 already getting a little dark mainly due to weather, but it gets dark earlier up here now, 8:15 it is pitch black, could see loads of deer coming down the hills so opted to park quietly and turn engine off, not bothering with the E & P jacks to speed up the going quiet bit

All good till 15 minutes later 2 cars turn up with tents, one couple walk off over the bridge straight towards the deer, the other put a tent up next to us, the net result was the deer did one :(

then the wind really got up and was very gusty, really now wished I had put the jacks down and remembered why I bought them in the first place following a trip to Durness in severe storms 4 years ago

So we were rocked to sleep, then violently shaken back awake at regular intervals through the night, woke up tired but with sunshine to depart by, saying this might be the last trip to this valley for us, opening up what I will run as a new thread, can you go to the same place too many times (y) ?

Now on the A1 just south of Edinburgh, will overnight somewhere near here then 200 miles left to get home to the log burner tomorrow (y) and work out best option for fridge repair / replacement :)(y)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Safe journey home tomorrow. Glad you saw the salmon but a great pity about the deer, it didn’t look a suitable place for camping with a tent!
We arrived home yesterday after 2 longish drives Oban to Lancaster, stayed on a lovely CL £13 including electric, then Lancaster to Bristol.
Got to go back sometime!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back