Highlands and Hebrides here we come Sept 2018 (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
A few weeks ago we flipped a coin to decide on travelling to Germany or Scotland

Both had their good reasons to be picked and it almost went to Germany, but the slightly weighted coin came down in favour of our marginal preference for this trip, Scotland

More specifically the western isles, formerly Outer Hebrides, although to get there we pass through some spectacular scenes in the Scottish highlands :)(y)

No real plans, nothing booked, we start from southerly point with a family weekend near Stratford, till Monday, pop over to Mo's place on Monday night (y), get new rear rubber on Tuesday from P + B Tyres Oswestry (y)

Work gets in the way as it has a habit of and I need to get to a meeting in Malton on Wednesday morning :( but then we head north properly, hopefully over the border on Wednesday night 29th Aug (y)

Then the only fixed event is picking Mum back up on the 20th September, so home for 19th (y)

We love the western isles and tell everyone as often as is appropriate, sounds like we might even bump into a few funsters over there this trip :) but the drive there is pretty good as well, we prefer the Uig (Skye) to North Uist or Harris partly price, it is the cheapest way to get there, but also time on board, it is cheapest because it is the shortest route, just under 2 hours, better for Bev and Lola (y)

Once over on the islands we haven't yet decided whether to travel north to south or vice versa, but I really like Harris so will probably end there, or might actually start and end there :) for the western isles bit

One night up the Findhorn Valley hoping for our spectacular deer sightings which we missed last time due to masses of midges :( hoping the late August early September will be better, last time was mid August, we really should have known better o_O

Probably will not book the ferries until much closer to the time so we can modify plans if the weather isn't good for sea crossings, will update with stop points, photos, costs etc as we go :)

Last edited:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Looking forward to following your trip along with your photos which are so good at catching those special moments.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
It's a year or two since we went to the Outer Hebrides, and yes we also went via Skye. We also delayed booking for all the reasons mentioned, in fact we only booked when we arrived at the ferry office in Uig.

BUT, we found Caledonian MacBrayne really helpful on the phone beforehand. I rang them periodically to asked about space availability around the dates of our planned crossing. They always seemed quite happy to tell me there was plenty of space, which put my mind at ease about not booking in advance.

After the first crossing to Harris, we just bought all subsequent tickets (singles) on board each ferry as and when needed them for travelling between the islands. It provided the ultimate flexibility to come and go as we pleased, and also meant we could keep a watchful eye on the weather too.

Generally, for the inter-island ferries, we'd phone Cal-Mac when we arrived on the departure ramp and double check the timing of the next ferry (ie was it on time?) and book a place on it there and then - but paid on board. Our vehicle details were in the system from our original outbound crossing from Skye, which made the call quick and easy.

As can probably be gathered from the above, we were impressed by how customer-friendly Cal-Mac were.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Oh I'm envious. I loved The Western Isles and we had planned to go back in early Sept but mums wanting to go to the Country Western festival on at Millport instead.

Will look forward to your travels and photos.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Ha, we also tossed a coin, this week though, Europe or UK (Wales or Scotland) decided on Europe, probably Germany although final decision probably will be made on the day, after consulting the various weather oracles.

It's a great time to go to Scotland, we have always been blessed with good variable weather o_O in September. Enjoy your trip, look forward to the updates and hope nothing breaks, I mean what is left that can possibly go wrong ??

Tezza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
We leave Friday afternoon, for 2 weeks, heading for Durness for a few nights, stopping in Aviemiore Friday night then complete the journey on Saturday, after that not sure where but we love Clachtol so will probs pop in there for a few nights and might try Port A Bhaig as we haven't been over that part yet and it looks very nice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
As you know David we too are setting off up to the Hebredian Isles for what is now becoming a yearly trip !
We set off on our trip 6th September for 17 nights.
We are hoping to visit parts on the islands that we’ve not seen yet . Ralph’s been researching things to see , nice places to eat . When there are places to eat :unsure: We know to take plenty supplies now :D

First we’re stopping off at Widrington Bay up in Northumberland. I used to go with the caravan and kids years ago when Ralph was working up there. It’s only a couple of hours drive from home. Then it’s up to Aviemore , then Fortrose bay campsite for 2 nights hopefully see some dolphins this time. Ullapool on to Stornaway then 10 days wandering down Harris , Lewis, Berneray , North/South Uist, Eriskay over to Barra back to Oban then back down to Moffatt . We’ve booked on the campsite for a couple of nights before the drive home. So only the first and last campsite booked .
The rest of the time we will be FLT ing . Unless we come across a nice little campsite we’ve not seen before.
Our paths may cross :beerchug:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
If anyone needs a toilet dump and fresh water on your travels up the M74 then PM me. 5 mins from Strathclyde park.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi david, bev ,lola , the trip sounds fantastic.. hope the weather is kind...
Im up on bute atm... had 4 days paddling and camping with a few others.. around inchmarnock , the north of arran , kintyre and around the kyle of bute.. its been mixed weather but really enjoyable..
Safe travells (y)
Andy

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
If anyone needs a toilet dump and fresh water on your travels up the M74 then PM me. 5 mins from Strathclyde park.
Just seen your kind offer... would that include doing my washing if i dropped it off... :LOL::LOL:
Andy

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Just seen your kind offer... would that include doing my washing if i dropped it off... :LOL::LOL:
Andy
Of course it would Andy. (y)It would give you a chance to do the chores I have lined up for you for when we next meet up.:LOL::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
mini update, this is part of this travel period so I will include it here, but it might disappoint those waiting for white sands and blue seas of Harris

weekend survived spent with family camping, four generations and a near 80 year spread is always going to be hard work, include my FIL it was destined to fail, but I promise I did set off with an open mind and we have the promise of a far less stressful first night with eldest daughter Nat, SIL Gary and little JJ in their MH project Yvonne (y):)

First night was lovely, arrived just after heavy rain to spectacular double rainbow, Nat had our gins waiting for us, they have very recently discovered they also like gin :)(y), although Nat doesn't do tonic, prefers gin and lemonade o_O

Day 2, youngest daughter has an insomniac family, they threatened to arrive before 9, we managed to renegotiate 10 and served them breakfast, all very good so far and the sun was even shining (y)

About 10:30 we get a random phone call from FIL that we couldn't make out, possibly due to poor signal at the site, Vodafone with varying strength from nothing to full for phone and mostly nothing on data with the frustration of 4G showing in about 3 second bursts :(

Anyway we don't know what he said, but they were due for 1 for lunch and this was 10:30, we tried calling back on their house phone and got no answer, so easily due with us for 1 (y)

Wrong, 1 comes and goes, various plates of quiche, pie, scotch eggs, crisps etc look very tempting even more so to the three kids aged 3 downwards, but we manage to keep the table full intact saying they cant be long

half one comes and goes :(

we agree that at 2 we will start without them, when I say we agree, I didn't, but was over ruled by far too considerate children and their mother o_O by now the sun had gone and it was looking very ominous in the sky, but at 13:45 they roll in, I say roll in, FIL doesn't drive slowly even on a camp site :mad: although probably only 15mph not the 5 the signs say though, but worse he stops about 20mm off the awning o_O he has clattered a few things at home (his and ours) car ports our cars etc :( all fairly gently but just clumsy. His car is always battle scarred and he blames them all on parking damage by others while he shopped :LOL:

anyway I am drifting off the subject here

He gets out, no 'sorry we are late' or anything, just make reference to the dark skies and says you are about to get drenched by what we have driven through, I said I doubt it and the first battle commenced

What I quickly added was this weather is coming from the north to us, you have come up from the south

Well sadly for my argument he had just driven through this having entered a transposed post code and gone to the wrong side of Coventry, then back south to us, which is why they took 2.5 hours to cover about 60 miles o_O possibly really covering 100 miles

There followed 48 hours (actually only 44 hours but it seemed like double :() of bickering, only saved by 2 doses of sleep

Even MIL was having a peck at me, doubled her gin measures with extra elderflower cordial to sweeten the alcohol, (works with my mum and does with her too) she was asleep by 8 (y) FIL was harder work as he doesn't drink as much and doesn't like the cordial, managed to get a few of Bevs Wurthers and vodka and Jelly babies and vodka concoctions down him and he retired to bed at 9:30 in the adjacent B + B

Today we are back alone, sad to see the family go, seems very odd and quiet and tidy now though, Bev is even making a card or two (y)(y)

Moved to Mo's place for one night on our way to Brians tyre place in Oswestry tomorrow, 4 new rear tyres, rear wheel drive done 45K since changing and only changing now as 5 years old, then move north for a business meeting in Malton, then holiday will start for real about midday Wednesday as we got off up the A1

I will be back on Wednesday night to report in (y)

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
David, did you stay at Wigrams CL, with the little humped back bridge?

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
David, did you stay at Wigrams CL, with the little humped back bridge?

We did indeed, on the way in I had googled the location it showed 18t weight limit on bridge beside the entrance off the road. This is now 3t o_O I had driven miles round to use that road to avoid the small lanes, we did come over it but left via the long way out (y)

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We are heading up that way in October.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Last year we had a Family Camp at Wigrams, worked well for us mind the weather helped. This year we went Brook Meadow, not so great weather sadly, we are on the look out for a new one to try a little bit further south.

Glad you survived and have manged to strengthen the relationship you have with your in laws, just surprised you are not taking them with you :imoutahere:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We are now officially away on holiday, arrived in Scotland at Carter Bar about an our ago

CE832647-8D0E-47BC-A832-78CF34BE612B.jpeg

Now parked in very sunny and Scottish warm 20C in Jedburgh (y)

2607DE47-3409-4A15-B2D9-4B06FD6F6DCF.jpeg

Only covered 150 miles today partly due to starting in Malton, partly because it never is as far as we think

Planning next few days tonight, definitely will be well north tomorrow, forecast is looking good will be probably be on Harris in a couple of nights :)

Just deciding on our favourite wilding spot for tomorrow, top of Findhorn Valley :) we have an awful lot of others that come a second best and very closely, the good thing is most of them are on the western isles (y)

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Looks lovely David(y) enjoy your trip ,stay safe.
Brian & Jo

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Enjoy your evening Bev n David. Chin chin :cheers:
I bet tonight’s spot is quieter than last nights. Keep the pics coming .
We’re counting down till we’re setting of on our travels up there. 6 sleeps to go.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I bet tonight’s spot is quieter than last night

Not yet, this is a nice spot but right next to A68 and closer to road than last night, it’s quiet at night though

Particularly once the boy racers get the call from Mum to get home :LOL:

Just troughed black pudding and haggis from chippy with mushy peas :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back