Oct 31, 2010
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
lowprofile
Exp
Since 2008
:Smile:
Hi, we have been members for some time and really enjoy the forums, and have learnt a lot. We are travelling up to Scotland tomorrow for 3weeks and have yet no decided route. We would like to join you if any space left, we may not arrive until Friday or Saturday as heading up west coast first.

As we are new to motor-homing on Scotland's narrow roads could you tell me what travelling along B851 from the west is like please.

Many thanks, looking forward to meeting you all
Janis and Chris

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Directions from the West

:Smile:
Hi, we have been members for some time and really enjoy the forums, and have learnt a lot. We are travelling up to Scotland tomorrow for 3weeks and have yet no decided route. We would like to join you if any space left, we may not arrive until Friday or Saturday as heading up west coast first.

As we are new to motor-homing on Scotland's narrow roads could you tell me what travelling along B851 from the west is like please.

Many thanks, looking forward to meeting you all
Janis and Chris

Have booked you in, Janis & Chris.

The road from Fort Augustus has some single track bits, but if you are used to driving a motorhome there shouldn't be a problem. A couple of tips:

• Go into Fort Augustus before turning right (don't take what we call the bypass which is a very narrow road, which goes off before the village)
  • Don't necessarily follow your satnav. Some take you round the world on narrow roads:Angry: Turn off in Fort Augustus on B862 and branch right onto B851, after Errogie. We are on the left half a mile after the Steadings Hotel. It will take about 45 minutes from Fort Augustus.
I hope you have a good trip and look forward to meeting you. Let me know if you are interested in the trip to Dores Inn on Sunday, as we will need to confirm numbers for the bus and the pub by Thursday/Friday.

All the best and safe travels
Margaret

Jandc

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
lowprofile
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks Margaret., looking forward too it, we would like to join the trip if there is room.:thanks2:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Highland rally

Hi mag,due to nine wells hospital rearranging my wife's appointment (again) we cannot come up on the Friday her appointment for Endescope is at 4:30
Depending inn on how she feels we will try to come up on the Saturday.
Hope to see you then.
Cheers
Tom

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks Margaret., looking forward too it, we would like to join the trip if there is room.:thanks2:
I have put you down, newbee. Look forward to seeing you.

Hi mag,due to nine wells hospital rearranging my wife's appointment (again) we cannot come up on the Friday her appointment for Endescope is at 4:30
Depending inn on how she feels we will try to come up on the Saturday.
Hope to see you then.
Cheers
Tom

We will keep a space warm for you, tjay. Hope you can make it.
Margaret

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Before you come

Some notes for those who have not been before – or even those who have!
The Highland Gathering is an informal event and you can join in as much or as little as you like. Whether you participate or not there will be plenty of times to do your own thing and even organises your own activities with others if you want to.

Thursday – first arrivals. Early evening get together in Schoolroom – byob

Friday: More arrivals. Themed Mediterranean evening – suitable weather has been ordered

Saturday: walks (may or may not include use of the community minibus for a small charge). Last arrivals! Evening Barbeque

Sunday: Working party – We do not charge for the gathering (although we do ask for generous donations for the local mountain rescue team, see below) so if you are willing to help us out with a bit of light work to blow away the cobwebs, your help will be much appreciated.
Trip(s) to Dores(small charge for bus)

The Schoolroom café & shop will be open for short periods on Friday, Saturday and Monday. Fresh rolls, bread, not cross buns and salads may be available to order, as well as our usual stock of Skin so soft, local honey, pates and other provisions, and free wifi.

What to bring:
Enough food and drink for yourself/ves, including your favourite tipple, Mediterranean recipe (made up) for Friday & BBQ food for Saturday. The idea is that you bring enough for yourself, but share with others.

Charcoal, bin bags ,kitchen paper, paper plates, rolls, relishes & salads etc. are also required.

Generous Donations for Cairngorm Mountain Rescue will be forwarded after the event. The team go out in the mountains in all weathers risking their own lives to help others. Last year we sent over £500 to them. Please help us to make it more this year.

Finally, if you have any freestanding shelter or large awning/safari room type thing that you are prepared to share, in case we do not get the promised Mediterranean weather, please let me know.

We are looking forward very much to seeing you all at the end of next week.

Margaret

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Have fun everyone. Hopefully we will do this again next year its a great place great people and a lovely meal at the Dores :Smile::Smile::Smile:

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
final tally ...................

Numbers are still changing and no doubt will continue to do so, but at the final count, today, we are expecting 17-20 vans, from 3 forums, and up to 40 people for the BBQ on Saturday. This will, I think, be the biggest yet. This is the main event - don't forget to bring BBQ food to share including charcoal, salads, rolls, sauces etc.
Numbers for Thursday are not so big so we are looking forward to a select party, but if there is anyone else who can make it on Thursday, you will be very welcome.
The field is prepared, and the weather ordered - it has been amazing today, so hope it lasts.
Safe travels to you all and see you soon
Margaret

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi Margaret , not been before so excuse the ignorance...., are there any facilities on the field. ie will i be able to fill water tank on arrival or do I have to bring what I need for the stay. thanks andy.

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
hi Margaret , not been before so excuse the ignorance...., are there any facilities on the field. ie will i be able to fill water tank on arrival or do I have to bring what I need for the stay. thanks andy.

Yes, Andy we have facilities - water and grey and black disposal.

First van arrived (unannounced) this afternoon. Welcome jagmanx::bigsmile:
Sun is still around athough there were some showers, during the night.

safe travels
Margaret

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
back home safely, and tidied up the van.
just a quick thank you to margret and angus for a great break up at inverness and to everyone else from fun and the other forums that made it such a good break.....thanks and regards to all andy

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We are back home too. The weekend was fabulous, both mum and I had a great time and we enjoyed meeting other motorhomers, and the very few funsters that attended. Hope the next meet is as good.
THANK YOU Margaret and Angus for being great hosts.::bigsmile:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi Sandra, that's god to hear. the weather improved on the journey home for me, but some heavy showers around Edinburgh.
likewise hope to do it again .
love to your mum as well and next time we meet you will have an awning and safari ::bigsmile:(think that's what its called.)
take care regards andy

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks

Thanks Andy & Irnbru for your kind words. We really enjoyed it, one of the best to date::bigsmile: Still drying out :)Sad: ) and catching out on sleep:Doh:
Hope you will post some photos, Sandra - I didn't manage to take many this time.
We've still to count the gernerous donations to Cairngorm Mountain rescue, but it can't be far short of £500. Will let you know in due course. I will start a new thread for the minimeet in August today or tomorrow.
Margaret

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
More thanks

We had eighteen visiting vans, from three forums and none (who turned up for our CS and ended up joining in the fun!), and I think a good time was had by all.

Thank you all for coming and making the gathering the meet it was, and for the extremely generous donations to the Cairngorm Mountain Rescue team. We have sent a cheque for £470 pounds to them today. This is almost as much as we raised in 2 meets last year. Well done to you all.

Thank you all for your other help and donations - particularly Andrew for driving the bus to Dores, Sandra for donating her pagoda, longterm, and Kernewek for the Arbroath smokies.

Looking forward to seeing you again sometime. The next meet is the minimeet in August - see separate thread.
Thanks and safe travels
Margaret

Last edited:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
how do I see the photos in your album Sandra. is there supposed to be a link on your post that's not showing on my computer.. ta andy

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
how do I see the photos in your album Sandra. is there supposed to be a link on your post that's not showing on my computer.. ta andy

Andy. Click on my name to view my profile then you will see my albums. Let me know uf you get stuck and I will email them to you.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
thanks Sandra. must seem a bit thick to all you computer literate types ::bigsmile:. ill go have a look. ta andy

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Midsummer Dutch meet

I mentioned it to some of you at the weekend - there will be a meet here at Brin, IV2 6XD the weekend of 21st of June. It is being organised by another forum, for some Dutch folks, but they need some more vans to swell their numbers, so if anyone is interested please let me know by pm and I can give you some more information.

And for the minimeet see new thread Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back