Highland 500 (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2014
Salford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic 5.0i
Exp
Since 2015
Hi We are looking to travel ‘up north’ from Manchester in August and navigate the Highland 500. We have a 7.4 m van and love to Wild camp. Any tips for places to visit off your ‘must see’ list?
Are we ok to Wild camp everywhere?
And, finally my most important question........
Will there be any mozzies around in August?????
Look forward to reading you tips n info Thanks

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

This advice and more from this site https://mowgli-adventures.com/guide-to-driving-the-nc500-by-camper-van/

Where to sleep in your camper van on the NC500

Contrary to popular belief, the right to roam in Scotland or the Land Reform Act doesn’t extend to motorized vehicles. Technically, you can’t park anywhere and think it’s ok. Wild camping (or more accurately informal camping) in a camper van is possible all over Scotland though and so long as you apply some common sense, you won’t have a problem.

Remember you don't have a 'right' to park or camp where you please, , all land is owned by someone .. so bearing that in mind, you won't get into trouble if you don't park where you would cause a nuisance, in a passing place, (yes I've seen that) , in a field, or off the road on private land, or anywhere there is a sign saying it's not allowed.. try to park away form others .. big groups of vans attract unwanted attention.. and sometimes complaints from locals, when that happens the council can take action and prohibit camper vans from parking overnight.

The parking regulations in Scotland are the same as the rest of the UK.

Last edited:

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Hi We are looking to travel ‘up north’ from Manchester in August and navigate the Highland 500. We have a 7.4 m van and love to Wild camp. Any tips for places to visit off your ‘must see’ list?
And, finally my most important question........
Will there be any mozzies around in August?????
Look forward to reading you tips n info Thanks
If you meet a French van on your travels just follow it and you will find all you need to know. Keep your widows closed though as the French guy will park that close to you he will be able to pinch your biscuits when your having your tea.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Was that the same French guy who did not know the width of his moho and drove down the side of my mates car in his moho and drove off without stopping !!
Luckily two taxi drivers saw it happening took off after him and stopped until police arrive, tried to say no talk English until policeman was about to sling him in the police van.
BTW he was charged with "Hit and Run" Stay well clear of the French and the Spanish on our roads !

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
If you visit the NC500 website FAQs you’ll see it stated that many of the roads are suitable for maximum vehicle size of standard VW T5 conversion. Needless to say, there are numerous big motorhomes doing the route.
Familiarising yourself with how to drive safely and considerately on single track roads and how to use passing places effectively will help as will wild camping considerately. The road surfaces are often poor quality and edges degraded.
On a plus, there are lots of fantastic places to see and lots of NC500 routes to follow, with itineries on the web.
My personal view is that it is a route to be savoured and explored and used as a suggestion rather than a race to complete the circuit.
Mossies ... yes most definitely in August, though fewer this year than others. Stick to windy coastal areas and buy some smidge and a midge net.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back