High altitude kit for diesel heating - Eberspacher (1 Viewer)

mickyboy

Free Member
Jan 21, 2018
Funster No
Hello all
Does anyone have experience of using an Eberspacher system above 1400m? Apparently this kit (a pressure sensor and extra software to regulate diesel supply) needed to avoid heater problems.
Thank you

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I can't help directly i'm afraid, except point to the trump diesel manual excerpt here
https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...-for-winter-models.170161/page-2#post-2724903

which indicates heating "capacity drops by approx 9% for every 1000m altitude
i goes the question is how long are you planning to be >1400m? and will a 9% drop in efficiency be an issue...

- Truma do diesel version of the Combi boilers known as the Combi D - https://www.truma.com/int/en/products/truma-heater/truma-combi-d6.html
it seems to have a requirement for a diffirent fuel pump for prolonged use above 1500m (not sure what constitutes "prolonged") perhaps a bigger issue in areas of the states or S America ? - but it seems dear - at e700!
https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...-for-winter-models.170161/page-2#post-2725107

OP
OP
M

mickyboy

Free Member
Jan 21, 2018
Funster No
Hi and thanks
Well I could certainly live with a 20% drop in efficiency as would only stay a week or so at a time at altitude ... just put more clothes on! It's more the possibility of damage to the heater or failure to operate at all that I was more concerned with, which seems to be the risk (without the upgrade) according to the van converter.
Thanks again

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I guess the best thing to do is to email Erbespacher and ask them what "problems" running the system say at 2000m for a couple of weeks would cause - realistically in Europe, you are unlikely to be staying for any period of time above 2000m in summer and probably no higher than 1600m to 1850m in winter (if you go skiing in the Alps)
so as long as using it without the extra kit isn't going to damage the heater and won't somehow poison you and the only downside is slightly less efficient heating, then i'd be happy enough to use it without the modification.
if you are in S America e.g. (Cusco in Chile Alt 3400m) or some of the US ski resorts (e.g Mammoth alt 2400m) then it might be more of an issue but i guess you are not in the Andes or Sierra Nevada :)

Dec 28, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 627GA
Exp
Used our eberspacher heating (2014 Chausson) last March skiing in Livigno for a week at 1816M - no issues & plenty of heat - didnt notice a loss in performance.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
I was interested so had a google. Seems at high altitude the air is thinner, so with same amount of fuel going in the burn is sootier, ok richer.
Apparently eberspacher can supply a second fuel pump for high altitude that supplies less fuel so burn is correct.
I think there is an electrical switch to choose which pump to use.
All above picked from various threads on other forums, suggest you speak to eberspacher for confirmation.

OP
OP
M

mickyboy

Free Member
Jan 21, 2018
Funster No
Really helpful input - have emailed supplier and will post results.
Cheers

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
probably some thing thats restricts the fuelling similar to the cheap ecu chips in reverse ,we all refer to it as a pump when its realy a metering unit delivering the correct amount of fuel its this that makes the heater modulate along with fan speed

OP
OP
M

mickyboy

Free Member
Jan 21, 2018
Funster No
Official response is unsurprisingly unhelpful. "Prolonged use above 1500m will result in damage to the heater unit". No definition of "prolonged" available.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back