Hiding IP address to access BBC iPlayer abroad (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Need to access the BBC iPlayer while in France to gain data from a BBC program series.

Any recommendations for a good easy to use piece of software? Possibly only use it the once but who knows.

Many thanks

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Depending on who your mobile data is with you might be able to use that. We can use our 3 when we are abroad.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If using data any UK SIM will work now days.
If using WiFi you need a VPN a free one that works quite well on Android is Flash VPN.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Thank you, looks like good solutions.

We have a holiday home in France with a land line, this is the phone and WiFi we use when there. We use a desktop computer using W7 and a laptop with W10, also have a MiFi with a 3 sim installed. The line provider is Orange, France.

For ease of use the desktop would be our preferred way to go as that's where the data in these programs will be used, would Flash VPN work on this desktop? or do I need a different one?

Seeing that 3 works wherever is a good back-up though, that's a very good piece of information, thanks again.

Sep 4, 2013
North Hants
Funster No
MH
Chatsworth CV40
Exp
Motorhome since 1997 Camping since 1990
Try installing the Opera browser on your Windows 10 desktop that has a free VPV built in. Take a look on Youtube using this link

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
For ease of use the desktop would be our preferred way to go as that's where the data in these programs will be used, would Flash VPN work on this desktop? or do I need a different one?
I've not found a Free VPN that works very well on a Windows PC, not tried Opera.
For reliability you may have to pay around a fiver a month for one that works.

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
Ive been lookin at My Expat Network again its aroun £4 a month over 2 years, has good support apparently, I'm waiting until I'm abroad before buying but to me it looks promising and has good reviews

Dec 21, 2016
Pyrenees France
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact Access
Exp
Since 2017
I use "Smart DNS Proxy" for all the U.K. Channels, all year round.
It gives detailed instructions on how to set it up on all devises.
From memory it costs around £16 per year.
smartdnsproxy.com

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I bought a long contract with NordVPN [works out to be about £2+ per month] and I'm pretty happy with it...

Anyway, in relation to using a VPN to GeoSpoof BBC's iPlayer - the Beeb don't like it - and spend a fair amount of time & resources playing whack-a-mole on VPN IP addresses...

So I'm in the UK, I can choose a UK VPN server and the iPlayer sometimes won't play...

So getting a VPN probably will get you iPlayer but it might not.

Sep 4, 2013
North Hants
Funster No
MH
Chatsworth CV40
Exp
Motorhome since 1997 Camping since 1990
I have recently been in Belgium using PureVPN and used their Channels feature. The standard location based didn't work but I had no trouble with the BBC channel feature.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We have a Huawei Mifi with a "3" sim in it.

When we are at home I simply use the charger lead with micro usb end to the mifi and the standard usb end to a usb slot on the desktop running Win 10. Win 10 picks it up as a CD Drive (image) and allows me direct connection to the internet. The Mifi, which is also powered by the cable, also then acts as a wifi for phones and tablet in the house.

We simply take the mifi with us when we go abroad, plug it into a USB power outlet in the motorhome and connect phones & tablet via wifi to it. Currently waiting for a cable from Ebay to connect the phone to the TV in the motorhome. Being a UK sim, there is no need for a VPN

I think if I had a smarter TV then we would be able to "mirror" the phone and TV via bluetooth

Untitled.png

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We have a Huawei Mifi with a "3" sim in it.

When we are at home I simply use the charger lead with micro usb end to the mifi and the standard usb end to a usb slot on the desktop running Win 10. Win 10 picks it up as a CD Drive (image) and allows me direct connection to the internet. The Mifi, which is also powered by the cable, also then acts as a wifi for phones and tablet in the house.

We simply take the mifi with us when we go abroad, plug it into a USB power outlet in the motorhome and connect phones & tablet via wifi to it. Currently waiting for a cable from Ebay to connect the phone to the TV in the motorhome. Being a UK sim, there is no need for a VPN

I think if I had a smarter TV then we would be able to "mirror" the phone and TV via bluetooth

View attachment 293944
OP wants to access BBC IPlayer whilst abroad so need more than just the access to data, you need to fool the iPlayer app into thinking you are physically in the UK.

I recently took a months subscription to expressVPN (at the recommendation of another funster) which worked very well in Spain.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
OP wants to access BBC IPlayer whilst abroad so need more than just the access to data, you need to fool the iPlayer app into thinking you are physically in the UK

If you use a UK sim in either your phone or mifi you can watch BBC I-Player when you are abroad.
I seem to remember the only "control" was we had to tick a box declaring we had a UK TV licence.

Barry

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
OP wants to access BBC IPlayer whilst abroad so need more than just the access to data, you need to fool the iPlayer app into thinking you are physically in the UK.

I recently took a months subscription to expressVPN (at the recommendation of another funster) which worked very well in Spain.
You don't need a VPN if using a UK SIM.

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
OK, while in France have downloaded the first 4 BBC programs, 2 to go when they are broadcast.

Went for the simplest approach first, used a MiFi with a 3 sim installed then download to a laptop. It worked without a hitch, in effect as though we were in the UK. Did see at one point a question of whether the location ticked (London was selected by 3 I assume, I had no input into that) was correct, after that the the process was smooth and effortless.

The data used for each 1 hour program was around 0.75 GB per program using standard definition, but the 3 sim is expiring in 2 weeks and have no other use for it and it carries plenty of data still.

The upside of using a 3 sim is the simplicity, the downside is if you want to download a lot of UK tv it may become too expensive and a monthly contract could be a better option? If we find we are downloading more in future than we need now I'll give a few of the above VPN's a try, but for the moment this has worked superbly and just want to thank everybody very much for all the help.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
You don't need a VPN if using a UK SIM.
I stand corrected then. I have had trouble in past accessing BBC using phone data or 3 sim in midi, I thought they could tell that your sim was accessing a roaming network and block you. Using this VPN was the first time I have sucessfully got iPlayer working.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We have a 3 contract sim in our mifi. £15 per month for 20gb.
3 have just increased their roaming limit per month from 15gb to 19gb.

Barry

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I stand corrected then. I have had trouble in past accessing BBC using phone data or 3 sim in midi, I thought they could tell that your sim was accessing a roaming network and block you. Using this VPN was the first time I have sucessfully got iPlayer working.
It all changed when free roaming came in last year.

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
A bit of a dumb question about the BBC iPlayer, never used it before.

Downloading a series of programs which comes with the message expires in 30 days. Once they are downloaded onto a computer are the programs then indefinite when downloaded, or even when they are downloaded do they expire in 30 days?

It did occur to me that it is probably possible to insert expiry date software into the downloading program, but it would be improbable.

Thanks

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
A bit of a dumb question about the BBC iPlayer, never used it before.

Downloading a series of programs which comes with the message expires in 30 days. Once they are downloaded onto a computer are the programs then indefinite when downloaded, or even when they are downloaded do they expire in 30 days?

It did occur to me that it is probably possible to insert expiry date software into the downloading program, but it would be improbable.

Thanks
They automaticly delete after 30 days.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Is that on the BBC website or the download on our computers, or both?

Thanks
Download on PC
You can download it again if it is still avalible some programs only available for 30days others available for months.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back