Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Following on from the 'lost key' thread.

Losing the van keys is something that concerns me. Bill was in charge of the keys and Bill is one of those people who never lose anything ever. I am the exact opposite.

So, is it feasible to 'hide' the second door key somewhere and would it make sense to hide the second vehicle key too?

The thought of having to break in and the ensuing problems of getting it all fixed up again is worse than the thought of hiding a key.

So, is there a way of hiding a key that only I would know about and is it the right thing to do?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
There have been threads on this before. I think one of the issues identified was that if you do and your insurance company find out then you would have a problem.

Deleted User
I think you may need to check with your insurance company as most policies will only pay out if there has been a forcible entry or the keys have been stolen. I have heard stories of owner hiding key in a lock box attached to van and insurance company refusing to pay out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Lanyard? Traveller security belt thing? Most vans are not exactly fortress like, guess you could hide a secondary set of keys internally and force entry via window or similar if you had to due losing primary set (I guess insurance implications still apply). I suspect you will be ok and not lose your keys though!

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Most modern keys are either electronic or a combination of key and electronic. All of the information required to supply new keys would be held on computer by the vehicle manufacturer - certainly for the vehicle part of the motorhome - often when you pick up the vehicle new there is a bar code label attached. If coach build then the lock system would most probably be standard units which would not necessarily recorded but most probably will have a number stamped on it.

If you keep a record of these then copies can be made.

Biggest problem with 'hiding' a key there is only so many place you can hide a key and you bet the thieves know more possibilities than you do !!!

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
You used to be able to to get single a key box from most car factor's such as halfords .that would magnetize or screw to a chassis and only you would know its location having put it there.
Insurance ....
Would you wish to damage your van to gain access ?:)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have always had a key hidden where I can get to it.

I never ever, ever, ever would worry about "insurance aspects" because...

1. A nasty person wouldn't find it...

2. And even if he did, and got into my van the con men at the insurance company would never know about the key.

3. And even if they did know about the key, it would not make any difference because the con men at the insurance company would not pay out anyway.

They would find a carefully constructed loophole of their own making to advoid it.

JJ :cool:

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
image.jpg

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Most of my travelling is in remote rural France so I always have a spare key (wrapped in a €50 note) secreted upon my van. Sure it would take a while, and a few tools to get to it, but in an emergency well worth the effort.
I certainly would have no qualms in lying to an insurance company - they "lie" enough to their customers by burying sneaky small print in their policies.

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
I asked my insurance company safeguard and they said any key safe would have to be attached to the vehicle, I don't think a magnet one would cut it! But maybe one of those padlock ones if it could be attached to the chassis or one that could be bolted. I would think its a very gray area and no doubt the insurance will use that to their benefit! I do think leaving a spare set with a friend is also a good idea, we once forgot our driving license on a 3 week holiday in Florida, car was booked for the 3 weeks to tour, a family member that had keys to get in sent our license 3 day post! Another consideration is a key fob! With your mobile number you can get a motorhomefun one from Jim's shop!

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Biggest problem with 'hiding' a key there is only so many place you can hide a key and you bet the thieves know more possibilities than you do !!!

No thief is going to spend the time searching the outside of a MH just on the off chance that there might be a key there somewhere.

As had been said, they are not the hardest things to get into.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Most of my travelling is in remote rural France so I always have a spare key (wrapped in a €50 note) secreted upon my van. Sure it would take a while, and a few tools to get to it, but in an emergency well worth the effort.

And you keep the tools locked in van ? How do you get at them to get the spare key ?:)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
And you keep the tools locked in van ? How do you get at them to get the spare key ?:)

I may look pretty decrepit and past it but I ain't that stupid! :)

It would take a pozi screwdriver, a pair of pliers and a piece of wire - and I'd rather have to go hunting for them at local farmsteads than to have to organise a replacement key. I suppose I could go one step further and find a hidey hole for the screwdriver, pliers and wire :)

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
....simple hiding place for my spare key...in the pocket of whichever trousers or shorts that l am wearing...

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Our thoughts on this are that we do not worry about a thief finding spare keys and then entering the van, a thief is just going to jemmy a door or window rather than spend time skulking about the outside of the van looking for a spare set. We keep "hidden" spare keys from the point of view that one of us (me) loses the primary set while we are out for the day. Our strategy is to have a spare set of keys very well hidden inside an exterior locker which requires single small key entry and said locker key is always in the possession of SWMBO. As for insurance companies if we worried too much about their self serving rules then we would be too frightened to leave the house in the first place,

The Tinca's

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Thank you so much for all you welcome replies. Every one of them has given me food for thought.

I should tell you at this point that the person I bought the van from used to leave the door unlocked. He worked on the premise that there was little to steal and it was better than having the door or windows broken.

It wouldn't be my first line of defence i have to say but there you go.

Thanks again. You're ace.

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
2 sets of keys one on me and the other with the Mrs .
Good odds that iff one set gets lost the other will get us to the key cutters to be 2 again .

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Having a habitation door key hidden somewhere in/on the vehicle might be a good idea. If I did that then in the event of me losing my keys (much more probable than having my motorhome stolen) this will allow me to get in and retrieve the ignition key hidden inside.

If I did this I'd hide them so well that given a full hour and knowing they are there, I seriously doubt you'd find them.

Someone searching the van in the vain hope that someone is stupid enough to hide ignition keys inside and they've got no chance of finding them. Would I be worried about losing my van and having to tell the insurance company they nicked it with my own keys? No; for two reasons.

1. I use the Strikeback Growler, with the internal siren blaring I'd have a job retrieving my own hidden keys, it is too disorientating. Seriously.

2. Even if someone found my keys (which they wouldn't) you could not steal my motorhome with those keys. Because I use Broken Link Removed

That said, giving an insurance company an excuse not to pay up is folly and I could never recommend you do that. probably better to just employ good key security, and always ensure that if there are two of you you both carry a set. (y)

Last edited:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
No thief is going to spend the time searching the outside of a MH just on the off chance that there might be a key there somewhere.

As had been said, they are not the hardest things to get into.

When you work on other peoples vehicles you would be amazed at the number of 'well concealed' spare keys you see. No one puts it where it can't be seen because they have to get to it. The thieves know this and all they do is pretend drop something then look in the obvious places.

Dec 21, 2010
Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Vline
Exp
Since 1999
I have hidden a key to gain entry, and another inside the MH to start the engine. And boy I'm glad I did as her that has to be obayed had her bag stolen along with the keys for the MH. A long time ago now but you never know what's around the corner.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you are going to do this, make sure you have three keys , because if stolen insurance always want to see two keys, to prove you hadn't left one on the vehicle

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I've always had a spare key secreted around my caravans or cars & use a "keep a key" which is magnetic & I've never managed to shake one loose. If you like that idea but cant find one anywhere I have a spare one in my garage so drop me a line & I'll get it send off to you.

Robert & Hazel.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back