LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
;) Just had a reminder this morning of how easy it is to lock yourself out and the importance of being able to get back in.

A couple on the site we are on went for a shower at the same time this morning but accidentally locked themselves out and no spare key, the site warden turned up with a ladder and they got on the roof but couldn't get the skylight up far enough, I didn't want to just go over and have a nosey but I decided the lady who had just come back from the shower must be freezing so went over with a coat for her and the offer of a warm van to wait in, anyway cutting a long story short I taped my telescopic magnet to an awning pole and he fished the keys off the worktop(y)

He did say that when they bought it they were going to hide a spare key but that was three years ago;)

So, do it now secrete a key somewhere.

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
;) Just had a reminder this morning of how easy it is to lock yourself out and the importance of being able to get back in.

A couple on the site we are on went for a shower at the same time this morning but accidentally locked themselves out and no spare key, the site warden turned up with a ladder and they got on the roof but couldn't get the skylight up far enough, I didn't want to just go over and have a nosey but I decided the lady who had just come back from the shower must be freezing so went over with a coat for her and the offer of a warm van to wait in, anyway cutting a long story short I taped my telescopic magnet to an awning pole and he fished the keys off the worktop(y)

He did say that when they bought it they were going to hide a spare key but that was three years ago;)

Pretty sure it's not possible to lock myself out of mine. Is there a particular configuration that allows it?

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
yes if you haven't got central locking , I have hidden a key on my van but cant tell you where.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007

Well done Martin. I need to look into this 🤔

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
About four years ago the people beside us locked themselves out.
We eventually managed to get a window open using a few improvised tools.
I decided at that point to get a spare key cut and hide it somewhere.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner

We always take both sets of keys whenever we leave the van, one set each, so that Elaine is not waiting in the cold if I stop and talk to someone; also means that we would be very unlucky if mugged and both of us had the keys stolen [but it could happen...]. We will get round to buying a 2nd remote control bleeper very soon, 'cos sure as eggs is eggs, the sole bleeper will fail and I don't want to start the sentence with a wistful 'If only we had bought ...'

Steve

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Been there done that, 'er indoors left her handbag with her keys in it in the van, I locked up then got something out of the garage & locked my keys in the garage. We were at her brothers at the time so I got our daughter to collect the 3rd hab key from our house & post it to us. 3 rd hab key now hidden on the van.

Last edited:

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
No, I cannot remember where mine is either 🤫
I had that problem a few weeks back, wanted to check that the remote battery still had life in it, had a bit or a think and remember where they were, but then had to figure out how I got them to where they are. :rofl:

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......

Been there, done that......all it needed was a wire coat hanger (loaned from the site Warden) to open a side window and get the keys........ Good job the alarm wasn’t on!!!o_O

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Because there is always the chance of doing damage breaking in.

True, but I'm not sure how impressed your insurer would be if someone found and used your hidden spare ... it's bad enough leaving the keys in your house these days!

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
What happens when you get locked out Martin (funflair ) with your fancy electronic touch panel?
You ask a five year old with a laptop to help you out, the same as you do when modern gadgets gets one over on you. :ROFLMAO:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
True, but I'm not sure how impressed your insurer would be if someone found and used your hidden spare ... it's bad enough leaving the keys in your house these days!
how would the insurer know??

that said would never hide an ignition key or remote..

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
What happens when you get locked out Martin (funflair ) with your fancy electronic touch panel?
We have an emergency release handle in a locker (y) but that locker may well be locked and alarmed so we need a key to that as a minimum.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Pretty sure it's not possible to lock myself out of mine. Is there a particular configuration that allows it?
This was an Autotrail and every van will be different so as long as you are happy it can't happen to you you are OK, but some of us could get caught for sure.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Some insurers now ask you to return the original keys when lodging your claim to confirm they haven't been used.
I am talking about getting into the habitation side, I know there could be problems if you lost the van but can not produce both sets of ignition keys.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
This was an Autotrail and every van will be different so as long as you are happy it can't happen to you you are OK, but some of us could get caught for sure.
Think the only way to do it on our AT is -
cab doors locked
hab door opened
lock lever on the hab door pushed in
hab door closed

It's a bit like in years gone by pushing down the door button on your car door and holding up the handle to save you locking the door with the key when you closed the door.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back