Hidden Solar and Sat dish cables !! (1 Viewer)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Found a dedicated cable for both a solar panel and sat dish cables yesterday while installing microwave above the fridge. They are behind the panel at the back of the TV cupboard, Result !!

I also discovered that the cable providing 240v to the TV is on a dedicated supply and only feeds that socket, which means I can now disconnect from the consumer unit and feed the 'circuit' from an inverter so we can use the microwave from an inverter when off grid!!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Doing it that way means that the microwave will always need the inverter on of course, not suggesting that is a problem but my preference is for the inverter to supply all the sockets.

Apr 20, 2012
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
1year 10 times
We have the telescopic aerial in this cupboard

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Doing it that way means that the microwave will always need the inverter on of course, not suggesting that is a problem but my preference is for the inverter to supply all the sockets.
yes, its one of the disadvantages i suppose, but i can just as easily set it up so the socket in the cupboard can be fed either from the mains ehu or inverter by installing a plug socket at the supply end, so it can be plugged into the inverter or into a socket supplied by the EHU - whichever is required. when you say 'the inverter is always on' - if it isnt supplying power, would it drain my battery, if so would you recommend an isolation switch between the battery and inverter?

the inverter is only a 1kw inverter, off a single 100AH battery, with no solar yet (next project along with sat dish and relocating the tv) so feeding all sockets might not be wise at this stage

i was unsure whether it would be wise to keep the inverter permanently 'on' and supplying the microwave (albeit infrequent use) even when on EHU - so any advice or comments are more than welcome.

i also understand that there is some sort of relay that automatically switches from ehu to inverter supply ......?

any suggestions/advice is more than welcome. we intend keeping this motorhome for quite some time as we are sure (...??) its the right layout for us ,

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
A 1kw inverter may not run your microwave.
i am hoping it will as we went for a low powered microwave and we wont be using it for long periods, just heating up 'stuff' for a couple of minutes rather than cooking for long periods, if it isnt then i will just have to get a bigger inverter LOL

its a bit of a faff just for the odd occasion, but it suits our lifestyle and i like to spend time making alterations (i am careful about suggesting improvements LOL) to suit us!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
yes, its one of the disadvantages i suppose, but i can just as easily set it up so the socket in the cupboard can be fed either from the mains ehu or inverter by installing a plug socket at the supply end, so it can be plugged into the inverter or into a socket supplied by the EHU - whichever is required. when you say 'the inverter is always on' - if it isnt supplying power, would it drain my battery, if so would you recommend an isolation switch between the battery and inverter?

the inverter is only a 1kw inverter, off a single 100AH battery, with no solar yet (next project along with sat dish and relocating the tv) so feeding all sockets might not be wise at this stage

i was unsure whether it would be wise to keep the inverter permanently 'on' and supplying the microwave (albeit infrequent use) even when on EHU - so any advice or comments are more than welcome.

i also understand that there is some sort of relay that automatically switches from ehu to inverter supply ......?

any suggestions/advice is more than welcome. we intend keeping this motorhome for quite some time as we are sure (...??) its the right layout for us ,
Pair point made by olley above, our microwave is 900 watts and pulls 1200watts when running so if you have a 600 or 700 you might just get away with it.

If you can get to the sockets easily having the choice of inverter or hook up would be good IMO.

If the inverter is on but no hook up then yes it will be taking battery power, not a huge amount but worth having the means to switch it off, some inverters have a remote switch that you could mount in an accessible place.

Yes you can get changeover relays that would supply all the sockets in the van from the inverter but the trick is to wire this without running the battery charger fridge heating etc so it get a bit involved, our van has a couple of circuits one is just EHU and the other is EHU backed up by the inverter when EHU power is insufficient.

Yes I like tinkering as well.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
You need bigger batteries as well really, l would up that to 200ah if you have the room.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
i am hoping it will as we went for a low powered microwave
Unfortunetly a 750 watt microwave will be over a 1000W load in real terms and pulling over a 100Amps while its one.
I had one once on a 2000W inverter and it only worked occasionally - I'm now happy to heat stuff in a pan on the gas. :drinks:

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
If you can get to the sockets easily having the choice of inverter or hook up would be good IMO.

If the inverter is on but no hook up then yes it will be taking battery power, not a huge amount but worth having the means to switch it off, some inverters have a remote switch that you could mount in an accessible place.

Yes you can get changeover relays that would supply all the sockets in the van from the inverter but the trick is to wire this without running the battery charger fridge heating etc so it get a bit involved, our van has a couple of circuits one is just EHU and the other is EHU backed up by the inverter when EHU power is insufficient.

Yes I like tinkering as well.
i have now wired it so that we have a choice of running from 240v or via inverter by using a couple of plugs and sockets under the seat where the battery, inverter and consumer unit is fitted

next job, try to work out where/how i can put isolating switch in for the inverter as you suggest !!

nothing has been done that i cant easily switch back to original - no wires cut, no holes drilled anywhere on view !

if it all works out then i will fix it all in permanently

keep the suggestions coming people -

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Any microwave takes double the running load on startup. So a low wattage 700w microwave needs 1400w briefly on startup. And YES, on standby inverters do take current. If it is not a decent one with a remote control, you need to fit a switch capable of handling the maximum load. A trip switch would serve 2 purposes, adding over current protection

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
i thought it was a decent one - its a pure sine off grid inverter from Photonic Universe - but doesnt have a remote control and the on off switch is located on the inverter itself,

TheBig1 - can you recommend an isolation switch? i assume you are suggesting to isolate the power to the inverter itself on the positive caable from the battery? would you recommend an 80A (1000w/12v = 83.3 - or would it better to go up to 100A fuse/circuit breaker

<Broken link removed>

i do have the room to add more batteries - but not enough money to buy lithium, though not against getting lithium in the future

re the required power, i suppose all i can do is try and if it works then great, if not then i will get a bigger inverter. the inverter manual suggests i need a 1500w inverter for a 900w microwave - as the microwave is only 650w - i might get away with it .... though after reading the comments, i am starting to feel a lot less confident - but as i said, nothing i have done is irreversible .....

this might be the answer for a bigger inverter?? would it need to be pure sine wave for a microwave (i thought it was really needed for computer equipment etc)?

<Broken link removed>

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
So, it's all wired up for the microwave BUT the inverter is struggling. it's ok in low power but struggles on full power.

Now looking for a min 2000w inverter - thanks for the help and advice so far !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back