'Hidden' parking penalties to watch out for! (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
In the case of the first parking one (1), most LA parking orders ban parking with the engine running.
In the case of the second parking one (5) it reinforces what I always say - always check signs.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Watch out for certain London Boroughs that WILL fine for being stationary at traffic light with you engine running. Exactly which Boroughs and where they are is a bit of a mystery until you find out when you get caught. I would not know where and which borough I was in and if it applied, so I do not got to the rotten dump. They have inspectors ready to pounce at junctions to book you and ignorance is no defence. Make a shed load of money doing it though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Watch out for certain London Boroughs that WILL fine for being stationary at traffic light with you engine running. Exactly which Boroughs and where they are is a bit of a mystery until you find out when you get caught. I would not know where and which borough I was in and if it applied, so I do not got to the rotten dump. They have inspectors ready to pounce at junctions to book you and ignorance is no defence. Make a shed load of money doing it though.
I have a turbo timer on my car, so even if I hit the kill switch, the engine will run for about 30 seconds, to protect the turbo. I'd love to see them argue that one in court! :D

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
No idling zones are used in central London. .. introduced by Boris ..
Stations and especially Tower Bridge were targeted

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
No idling zones are used in central London. .. introduced by Boris ..
Stations and especially Tower Bridge were targeted
Yet another reason for not visiting London :D2

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I just cannot see that idling while waiting st traffic light could possibly be an infringement especially as it states at part one that this non idling rule does not apply when when siting in traffic. It's non enforceable nonsense.

However, I do agree with the non idling rule if sensibly applied, I really dislike vehicles especially coaches and lorries just sitting spewing fumes out for no good reason. I don't want to breath the crap it in and I don't want to hear the noise of engines producing it.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I just cannot see that idling while waiting st traffic light could possibly be an infringement especially as it states at part one that this non idling rule does not apply when when siting in traffic. It's non enforceable nonsense.

However, I do agree with the non idling rule if sensibly applied, I really dislike vehicles especially coaches and lorries just sitting spewing fumes out for no good reason. I don't want to breath the crap it in and I don't want to hear the noise of engines producing it.

Especially the ones next to me on a ferry........................:mad:
Yes I know some need to get their air brakes working, but as soon as most people get back to their vehicle they start up before the ferry has even tied up alongside.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The article in the OP refers to the national situation. As other posters have said, specific rules have been brought in for parts of London which override that.

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
(4) suggests that Petrol Prices don't know the law! If you're obstructing a crossing and the lights go red, you were wrong to be there in the first place!

Reactions: GJH
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
The article in the OP refers to the national situation. As other posters have said, specific rules have been brought in for parts of London which override that.

I was referring to what Gwaygway said:-

"Watch out for certain London Boroughs that WILL fine for being stationary at traffic light with you engine running."

I was saying that if there is legislation which prohibits having an engine running while sitting waiting for traffic lights to change, then that's unenforceable nonsense, and I mean anywhere. I don't think he was joking.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I was referring to what Gwaygway said:-

"Watch out for certain London Boroughs that WILL fine for being stationary at traffic light with you engine running."

I was saying that if there is legislation which prohibits having an engine running while sitting waiting for traffic lights to change, then that's unenforceable nonsense, and I mean anywhere. I don't think he was joking.
See this article. Seems it is being enforced.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
May I point out to the assembled masses that it is an offence to 'Quit a motor vehicle' when leaving the engine running or without applying the handbrake.
For the offence to be complete the motor vehicle will be on a road and there will be no one in (or on) the motor vehicle who is the holder of a driving licence for that class of vehicle.

It's a probationers Policeman's dream come true outside a newsagents on a winters morning.
You have been warned!!!

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
See this article. Seems it is being enforced.

With respect, the piece you quote deals with people simply sitting in a stationary car with the engine running, that is what is being enforced, and is a whole lot different to waiting in traffic which might move any moment or waiting at traffic lights. The piece you quote deals with the former but mentions neither of the later scenarios. It does say that the issue of a penalty charge would be a last resort if the motorist refuses to turn off the engine when requested to do so. I doubt there will be many parking attendants waiting to pounce on those in a traffic que or at traffic lights and if they did issue a penalty notice in those circumstances, which would undoubtedly and rightly contested in Court, the case would surely be dismissed and laughed out of Court. I think its a good idea to stop people just sitting with the engine running, I think its a very bad idea to suggest the legislation is aimed at driver who halts temporarily duet road condition, that is not what it is intended for.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back