Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
What hidden cost's did you inccur after buying a motor home?

Now I am sure that all on this site thouhgt about buying their motor home and the cost's of owning one before purchasing, no one woke up one morning and thought I fancy a motor home and popped down the local dealer and parted with anything from £10-150k.

I was conviced I had covered evry thing, well almost till a young man called sloberdoberbob told me I would buy more bit's and peices I didn't need and he was right, I thought I would be able to resist:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Because I try to use my motor home in all our spare time, I have now had to employ people to do work I would normaly do myself:

1, A gardener this one I don't mind I hate gardening and find it a chore.

2, A decorator I don't mind decorating.

3, We need all of our patios re doing this is somthing I would have done.

4,I have five trees that need felling, I would have done that too.

5, Now Rosie is talking about a new kitchen, dont quite understand this one, I only fitted the one we have 25years ago, something else I have to pay some one else to do.

There must be more I havn't thought of.

Crikey owning a motor home is a lot more expensive than I thought.......but I am soooooo glad I did.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
Well I paid good money for mine fully loaded, well I thought it was but I the first week I bought it spent another £6k or so on nonsense, I don't know where it all went but here are some bits I spent it on:

Full heavy drive away awning
Lightweight drive away awning
Ground sheets x 3 (diifferent types)
New XC Camping tyres
New cab radio
Full alarm
10" or so DVD tv
15" DVD tv
TV brackets & fitting
Full service & cam belt
Wow motor tune
K&N air filter
Cruise control
External shower point
External gas BBQ point
Gas check
External 240v outlet for awning
Reverse polarity switch
Cadac BBQ
Xtend & Climb ladder
Foldable bucket
Battery booster pack (heavy duty)
Refit of satellite controls
Foldable portable 62w solar panel to supplement existing 80w roof panel
Portable awning ceramic heater
Awning lighting
Full set of Alloy wheels
Full valet & polish
Awning furniture (4 chairs, tables by Lafuma)
Bedding
Clutch claw
Tidying up of reversing camera wires
New plastic end caps for side panels
New grill
Silver screen thermal cover and summer one way see through screen
New external facias for Dometic grills
Summer (beach) set of Turtle mats for interior
Waeco 80ltr freezer 12/240v
Waeco CDF25 freezer
iPad
Wifi
3,500w portable suitcase generator
Wind breaks x 4
Microwave
Awning curved adjustable centre rafter
3rd 110amp leisure battery
3 x cycles & accessories
Full winter cover
Membership of Caravan club
Refurb of tow ball & electrics
Thule tow ball fitting bicycle rack (used flat as a base for m/cycle) for 3rd bike when no m/cycle
Full internal change to LED lighting

And the list goes on, that is just what has sprung to mind and I am sure I
spent more than mentioned, just trying to come to terms with the ready to go
van I bought and how on earth I found all of this 'necessary' extra stuff I needed.

So never think you have everything, even today I had to buy more rock pegs as we are on a gravel pitch.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Cant and wont even begin to add up the thousands I have spent over the years on unesisary must have junk I have purchased that I thought I couldnt live without.
What amazes me is that for many years I lived very comfortably in a truck cab with a coolbox,primus stove and suitcase the size of a briefcase.
Had a box under the trailer that carried food,water and fold up stool.
I have cooked Sunday lunches at the side of the road as good as any resteraunt and have lived very well and very comfortably for months on end.
Why on earth I have fallen into the consumer trap of buying absolute junk that I do not need for my RVs I do not know,I should have known better.
One thing I have noticed in the last couple of years is when I go to a motorhome show,I cannot find anything that I realy need or for that matter want.::bigsmile:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Oh yes just been reminded by Mrs ShiftZZ another dealer that I have used was Conrad Anderson in Bham, great company, lousy locationm stunning garden..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Well I woke up one morning and realised if I didnt sell my house I would loose it as, I had been unemployed for 12 months and despite applying for hundres of jobs, not had any replies. It's an age thing!!! So, sold the house and bought the van which, I lived in full time for 18 months. What extras did I have fitted?

Heres the list

Awning and side screens
Clock, barometer and temp gauge - for hab area
New cab radio
Full alarm
12v DVD
15" LCD tv
12v Vax
Hoses for water
Naturepure filter
TV brackets & fitting
Wow motor tune
Cruise control
External gas BBQ point
GASLOW
Cadac BBQ
Foldable bucket
Battery booster pack (12/24v)
Satellite
Airide
60w and 80w solar panel panels
Portable ceramic heater
2 chairs by Lafuma + tables
Bedding
Reversing camera and sensors
Silver screen thermal
Wifi
Wind breaks
Microwave
2 x 110amp leisure battery
tow bar & electrics
Central Locking
Blutooth for my phone
SmartCar
AFrame
LED lights for hab area
Pots, pans, plates, cutlery etc
1000w inverter

If I had known how much it was going to cost before hand, I would have still done it.

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
Oh yes just been reminded by Mrs ShiftZZ another dealer that I have used was Conrad Anderson in Bham, great company, lousy locationm stunning garden..

Interesting spot, you would never dream that was behind it, as you say nice garden and big kitchen onto it. Not far for them to go to work ::bigsmile:

Top people though, very knowledgeable and great workmanship.

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
Cant and wont even begin to add up the thousands I have spent over the years on unesisary must have junk I have purchased that I thought I couldnt live without.
What amazes me is that for many years I lived very comfortably in a truck cab with a coolbox,primus stove and suitcase the size of a briefcase.
Had a box under the trailer that carried food,water and fold up stool.
I have cooked Sunday lunches at the side of the road as good as any resteraunt and have lived very well and very comfortably for months on end.
Why on earth I have fallen into the consumer trap of buying absolute junk that I do not need for my RVs I do not know,I should have known better.
One thing I have noticed in the last couple of years is when I go to a motorhome show,I cannot find anything that I realy need or for that matter want.::bigsmile:

Well I think I fell in that trap, but not over years, in one week ::bigsmile:

I guess starting from zilch means some up front investment, I think I am about done apart from the fuel cells :ROFLMAO:

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
Your right, Conrad Anderson sell them, but not cheap.

They also import and sell a small generator that fits under the belly of the vehicle and keeps the batteries charged, so use of inverters would be fine, but that was around £3k fitted I think, it is on their site.

I think my accessory shopping is over for the moment, I have enough manuals to read ::bigsmile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Swift, from that list you must be doing a self build ? :thumb: any pics of your van ?:thumb:
note I say your van & not some other that you pull off the net :ROFLMAO:
terry

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
and you thought I was bull sh***ing you

See Rick

You have started. I noticed you have not listed what you purchased at Bath & West? was it somesort of safari room and a large cook house unit?

Now why do you think I had a box of free stuff on the floor... you will get there one day my friend. we all do it.

But I read with interest all that some have purchased. Yes been there done that and so far in the last year and a quarter I have spent the better part of £14k on everythiong from Saterlite to Alarms to solar lights. The list is long and varied. But I have it all recorded and a binder that is busting (3") plus every item marked Winnibago on my MS money programe.

I have not included the fuel, road tax, insurance or the euro tunnel charges, or camp sites or shows.. this is not a cheap hobby.. even £51.99 yesterday for the folding ladder.

Rick it becomes a bug and I know what you were saying about the kitchen.

see my post of the Kenwood Mixer.. 34 years - I want my money back:Blush:

Bob:thumb:

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
Hi Swift, from that list you must be doing a self build ? :thumb: any pics of your van ?:thumb:
note I say your van & not some other that you pull off the net :ROFLMAO:
terry

Hi Terry,

I am happy to take some pics, but better still I see sloberdog is only a few miles from me, maybe We could meet up and get introduced ::bigsmile:

I am still in Battle, lovely site, great walk down through beautiful countryside to a pub, past a great big bull in a field :Eeek: got a late 4pm checkout so making the most of it :thumb:

By the way Robert Dyas has a bargain £14.99 folding table at the moment, I bought one yesterday ::bigsmile:

Oh, and check out the mini 1500w digitally thermostatic controlled ceramic heater made by Dimplex, I bought 2 @ £19.99 each, tried one this weekend, (was on mains hookup so saved gas) fantastic, also oscillates. :thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we are in Tunbridge Wells.

I am happy to take some pics, but better still I see sloberdog is only a few miles from me, maybe We could meet up and get introduced ::bigsmile:

We are Tunbridge Wells based, were are you?

Bob aka Sloberboberbob, or sour puss Bob (long story) aka m'lud and some not printable on the site.:Eeek:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Don't forget the camera Bob :thumb:
Swift want base van are you converting ?
terry

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
Bob, leaving Battle at 4pm today, happy to meet up on route back to Sevenoaks if you are about. :thumb:

Deleted User
Well I paid good money for mine fully loaded, well I thought it was but I the first week I bought it spent another £6k or so on nonsense, I don't know where it all went but here are some bits I spent it on:

Full heavy drive away awning
Lightweight drive away awning
Ground sheets x 3 (diifferent types)
New XC Camping tyres
New cab radio
Full alarm
10" or so DVD tv
15" DVD tv
TV brackets & fitting
Full service & cam belt
Wow motor tune
K&N air filter
Cruise control
External shower point
External gas BBQ point
Gas check
External 240v outlet for awning
Reverse polarity switch
Cadac BBQ
Xtend & Climb ladder
Foldable bucket
Battery booster pack (heavy duty)
Refit of satellite controls
Foldable portable 62w solar panel to supplement existing 80w roof panel
Portable awning ceramic heater
Awning lighting
Full set of Alloy wheels
Full valet & polish
Awning furniture (4 chairs, tables by Lafuma)
Bedding
Clutch claw
Tidying up of reversing camera wires
New plastic end caps for side panels
New grill
Silver screen thermal cover and summer one way see through screen
New external facias for Dometic grills
Summer (beach) set of Turtle mats for interior
Waeco 80ltr freezer 12/240v
Waeco CDF25 freezer
iPad
Wifi
3,500w portable suitcase generator
Wind breaks x 4
Microwave
3rd 110amp leisure battery
3 x cycles & accessories
Full winter cover
Membership of Caravan club
Refurb of tow ball & electrics
Thule tow ball fitting bicycle rack (used flat as a base for m/cycle) for 3rd bike when no m/cycle
Full internal change to LED lighting

And the list goes on, that is just what has sprung to mind and I am sure I
spent more than mentioned, just trying to come to terms with the ready to go
van I bought and how on earth I found all of this 'necessary' extra stuff I needed.

So never think you have everything, even today I had to buy more rock pegs as we are on a gravel pitch.

Now I would have to question the necessity of a collapsable bucket but everything else looks reasonable
spongy

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I dont know, I dont go on here all day , look what I miss.
A new member starting , and being banned all in one day:ROFLMAO:
I read the welcome post with a big grin across my face , thinking is this for real ???
Laughing , imagining lots of old men drooling at their screens.
" i much prefer the more mature man !".....reeling everyone in::bigsmile:

Practically spitting out my cup of tea at shifts ferret post , looking forward to a video of the hubby :Blush:
Thinking bet that couple would stir up a few rallies.
Then it all turns pair shaped... Oh well.
Shame they started on Johns Cross and went into overkill on every thread.
Bev

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
biggest hidden expence for some people is storage costs.

Yes we've just forked out £380 , it's a gold award site , but it all adds up . Its more expensive than it was for the caravan , at the same place even though the caravan was longer..... must be an insurance thing.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Your right, Conrad Anderson sell them, but not cheap.

They also import and sell a small generator that fits under the belly of the vehicle and keeps the batteries charged, so use of inverters would be fine, but that was around £3k fitted I think, it is on their site.

I think my accessory shopping is over for the moment, I have enough manuals to read ::bigsmile:

Got the Gasparini Energy-20 under my Hymer. Wouldn't be without it.
20amp at 12v no matter what the weather is like. Auto cut in at 12v and off at 14.5v. We got it from Conrad Andersons and are back there on 4th September to get it serviced and have an hours meter fitted. Service is after 200hrs and we have had ours 2 years. We reckon we have done more like 300 hours. We got the extra oil tank fitted, as crawling under the MH to top it up was a pain. Runs on LPG but need fully-synthetic 2 stroke oil as well.

Got two 110ah batteries and a 1600w inverter fitted at the same time as the Gasparini.

That was two days after we had a 80 litre LPG tank fitted in the Forest of Dean. Conrad Anderson sorted out the gas leak that MTH had left us with. MTH had assured us that the gas smell was residual from the old regulators that were left in the locker. Later we found MTH had fitted the wrong type of tank as the gauge wouldn't work. We had to go to Peterborough and kick up a fuss to get him to look at it and then had to return Lidney to have the correct one fitted. We made dam sure there were no leaks that time by staying overnight in their yard.

Conrad Anderson also fitted our Oyster 85 satelite dish and sky box. Then repaired the dish after the safari room and awning took off over the van at Tan Hill.

We always stay over the night before the work in their yard and we were rocked by an the earth quake one night. Thought it was a strong gust of wind but when we checked it was a still night. Next morning it was on the news.

Our next job is to get a couple of solar panels added.

John

OP
OP
motor roamin

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
See Rick

You have started. I noticed you have not listed what you purchased at Bath & West? was it somesort of safari room and a large cook house unit?

Now why do you think I had a box of free stuff on the floor... you will get there one day my friend. we all do it.

But I read with interest all that some have purchased. Yes been there done that and so far in the last year and a quarter I have spent the better part of £14k on everythiong from Saterlite to Alarms to solar lights. The list is long and varied. But I have it all recorded and a binder that is busting (3") plus every item marked Winnibago on my MS money programe.

I have not included the fuel, road tax, insurance or the euro tunnel charges, or camp sites or shows.. this is not a cheap hobby.. even £51.99 yesterday for the folding ladder.

Rick it becomes a bug and I know what you were saying about the kitchen.

see my post of the Kenwood Mixer.. 34 years - I want my money back:Blush:

Bob:thumb:

Ah but Bob I said hidden costs ones I hadn't thought about.......you see I thought about:

The Satalite dome £1800.00
In total with that nice safari room the cadac and a few other bits and pieces I spent £1200.00 at Sheptonn can't remember what I spent at Malvern.
Wasn't ready for new batteries £200.00.

Oh and I have got to change that alarm only £165.00 lol.

Still I am sure I can think of somthing else I erm NEED before we go again.

It is so heart warming to know that I am not on my own........I was begining to fink I was a bit fick not finkin about otha cost's:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

All the best Rick:thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Rick,

Complete change of subject, with the number of MH owners only being eligible to drive 3500kg vans increasing, whats involved in getting a C1 qualification?

Cost, time etc

Peter

OP
OP
motor roamin

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Hi Rick,

Complete change of subject, with the number of MH owners only being eligible to drive 3500kg vans increasing, whats involved in getting a C1 qualification?

Cost, time etc

Peter

Hi Peter

As I am not registered as a trade user I will call you tomorrow if you are around and go through all the options and licences regs etc.

I would think with this regulation coming in Jan 97 like our local caravan dealers it's begining to be a factor in sales.

By the way the comment i replied to made by swift yesterday, I was trying to say that I would have been suprised if it had been made by your staff, I guess I was trying to be diplomatic, which is unusual for me I am known for speaking my mind but also admitting when I am wrong.

All the best Rick.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Rick,

I don't think any one is going to object to you telling us what is involved as a general rule as it is a matter of general interest and you won't be spamming.

My appointment with a Kontiki came to fruition so I will be on the road tomorrow delivering it to Johns Cross so not available

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back