Hi (1 Viewer)

Jun 22, 2014
Great Totham
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Just joined as the wife and I are considering buying a motorhome.

We have sights set on a Auto-Trail Cheyenne 696G ..the garage looks fit for bikes and it has a permanent bed.

Cheers:thumb:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Welcome !:thumb:

Controversial/brave forum name:thumb:

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi:fatbuddha:
And welcome to the madhouse.
:flyingwelcome:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
why would that be?

Don't worry about it, I'm a cyclist too but this forum has its fair share of typical motorists who see cyclists as law breaking inconveniences. Just take it all in good heart and you can have some fun winding them up!

Welcome!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi, welcome to motorhome fun, sounds like a good van, check payload etc out, we have a lot of cyclists on here some serious and lots who enjoy there cycling in conjunction with their motorhomes, any questions just ask that is what the forum is all about . :welcomefunster:

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Welcome both

Hello both and welcome.

Hey! Another (potential) motorhomer from Essex. We are scarce!!

Good choice of MH. We don't have an Autotrail, but I googled it. There's one for sale at a dealership with no less than 72 photos!

We're not a million miles from you in Romford. Our lad lives at Runwell and the 'outlaws' live in Woodham.

Let the forum know how you're getting on. There will be other Autotrail owners who will give you the lo-down on what to look for.

Hope you get what you're looking for and have many happy outings.

Regards,
James & Sue

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
thanks ...yes, what's the deal with payload ...I'm totally new to this ...now pretty much nothing.

cheers

Your van will have a maximum gross weight limit (MGW). This will be marked on a plate somewhere, such as in the bonnet or by a door. The vehicle will also have a mass in running order (MRO) and in simple terms the difference between these two is the payload, which is what all your luggage including bikes, chairs, food, beer together must not exceed.

Unfortunately, some vans have unrealistically low payloads and manufacturers also quote very optimistic figures which do not agree with what you might find if you take the vehicle to a weighbridge.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
as long as you have sufficient payload to carry the bikes, hee hee.
Welcome to the forum by the way.
Payload is the difference between the actual weight of the vehicle with you both in and the gross Vehicle or maximum permitted weight, (Shown on the vin plate.) actual weight determined by a visit to a weighbridge. The difference is the maximum permitted payload and that includes food, water fuel, bedding etc. The Cheyenne is a decent size so licence permitting you should be ok.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
The guys beat me to it, not just your bikes though will you want to take out side table and chairs, barbecue , maybe a awning, just worth a check that you have a reasonable payload. :Smile:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Just joined as the wife and I are considering buying a motorhome.

We have sights set on a Auto-Trail Cheyenne 696G ..the garage looks fit for bikes and it has a permanent bed.

Cheers:thumb:

It'll be bl**dy cold in winter :roflmto:

Welcome!

Oct 8, 2013
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Ravenna
Exp
newguy

Welcome , as a fellow newbie I have found this board very informative , friendly , helpful and most of all FUN. Hope youfind it likewise.

Steve

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Welcome from another Funster with an apparently brave/controversial user name. Curiously, I enjoy both cycling and driving. Something a lot of people don't seem able to comprehend. But fortunately not many of them post here! As for a garage: I've carted my steeds [assorted race/mountain/shopper and tandem] on a Fiamma rack since I started motorhoming [admittedly only 3 years ago] without feeling disadvantaged. Trade-off with a bike-height garage means going upstairs to bed, which would have been a compromise too far for me!

OP
OP
John and Jo
Jun 22, 2014
Great Totham
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks Eric, I don’t fancy leaving £1000’s of bikes on a rack on the back, even if they are locked up. What do you do at night bring them in?

OP
OP
John and Jo
Jun 22, 2014
Great Totham
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Here’s a question ….what is the ladder for on the back of some motorhomes? Do people put things on the roof? Can the roof take the weight of someone walking up there …what is up there?

Cheers

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Welcome Cyclist, you have a lot going for you bikes and living south of Watford gap are two huge pluses. It doesn't end there......an Essex boy too. :thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Re. Worrying about the cycles on the back, quite a lot of the bikes carried on the back of a Motorhome are worth in excess of £1000 but with a good bike cover and locks never had any trouble travelling in Europe Africa and the UK. :Smile:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Here’s a question ….what is the ladder for on the back of some motorhomes? Do people put things on the roof? Can the roof take the weight of someone walking up there …what is up there?

Cheers

The ladder is for the benefit of thieves who climb up onto the roof and then drop in through a roof light conveniently left open.

This is why you often see ladders with a sheet of aluminium or such like locked to it so the rungs are covered.

A ladder could be useful for getting at a top box but generally it's not a good idea to walk around on the roof as it can create leaks and it's a long way to fall if you slip. If you must get onto the roof a telescopic ladder which you can store away might be best.

Last edited:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks Eric, I don’t fancy leaving £1000’s of bikes on a rack on the back, even if they are locked up. What do you do at night bring them in?

Hi and welcome :thumb: Just lately I've been taking just a £200 Fixie for me,whilst wife has her £1,000 electric bike ::bigsmile:

Mike

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013

Hello from another fellow cyclist. When we were looking for a replacement Motorhome at the beginning of this year we had the 696G on our short list for the same reason as you. I do not fancy taking a chance on getting my bikes pinched and I met a traveller the other day who recently lost his bike from the rack whilst on a camp site, they bolt cropped his cable and he never heard a thing. Having said that, keeping it in proportion, that is the first incident like that I have come across, before everybody bombards me with messages!! :Doh:
We opted for the Hymer in the end as we wanted to carry our mountain bikes and our road bikes and the garage was big enough to hold all 4. Happy hunting, the best advice I can give is don't rush, read everything you can on this forum and be prepared to change your mind several times before you finally make a decision. ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back