Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
Hi I have just joined this forum, We are 55 years old and are hoping to sell our business and buy our first motorhome. We have hired before and we do like the A class motorhomes because of their great use of space. However, they do seem a bit wide for our country roads. I am asking for any ideas or experiences you may have had. We are looking at all makes and have also looked at auto-trail mohawk (we like the layout).
So looking forward to any ideas.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Soaringman, A class motorhomes appear to look wider but the vast majority are exactly the same width as a coachbuilt. Mostly you get much more useable room in an A class, this means that an A class packs into 20ft while a similar spec C class will need 24ft

Have fun looking, see this article Broken Link Removed

Meanwhile, welcome to the Fun :thumb:

Boadicea

Free Member
Mar 1, 2008
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Welcome to the Funsters. Hope you find what your looking for :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello and welcome to Fun, we have traveled the smallest roads in Scotland and Wales in our Hymer, it may have been a tight squeeze sometimes but never a problem, get what you are comfortable driving and enjoy a wonderful way of life.:welcomefunster:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Welcome to MH Fun

Never had an A class but width would not put me off, they often seem far wider but if you look at an ordinary motorhome they are often far wider than the cab, so it is only the cab that is wider.
Test drive one and if happy go for it.

Best of luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, Also with an A class you get much needed external storage that many other m/h's don't have unless with a garage under rear bed. We had Pilote Galaxy 20ft never needed back box or extra storage (i.e. outdoor chairs, table, barbeque, windbreak, wedge's etc) now got Autocruise Starfire 20ft now need backbox for these items and lot less room internally. Terry

otis the staffy

Free Member
Jan 2, 2010
Funster No
Hi Soaringman :welcome: did pretty much the same at 53 and enjoyed life on the road just take you time to get van choice right because when buying you will be told expensive yeah cus everyone wan'ts one of these.Take it back 6mths later and it will be sharp intake of breath lost £10grand as your told difficult to shift these are,:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::thumb:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Hi i am ian :welcomefunster:

as the regulars know on here i have an American RV after having both
A class and coach built euro vans

i would recomend an RV for the better comfort better build quality and power to weight ratio go for petrol LPG for cheaper motoring

you soon get used to the size buy a snooper 7000s sat nav and no worries of narrow roads or low bridges

good luck with you search :thumb:

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
We are of a similar age, and have family, a daughter in mid teens.

Please remember if you have family and intend to take them with you at sometime.
You won't be able to do so with a new van unless it has seatbelts in the rear.
The mohawk at best will have one, only if its the half dinette layout.
Vehicles with side benches dont have seat belts.
Our apache has two full seat belts on the forward facing diner and two lap belts on the
rear facing ones, along with sleeping six it can also legally seat them.

Regards

Steve

OP
OP
Soaringman

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
Thanks for all of your welcomes and info. Yes it is a minefield :Eeek: we have been looking casually for a couple of years now, but now funds are making themselves available, with a budget of between £30,000 - £50,000. I guess we will look at the A class models such as Rapido, Pilote and Hymer, we hired a Burstner Elegance last year and were surprised that so many bits had fallen off of it :whatthe: driver and passsenger armrests, door catches etc. It was only 2 years old but had had a hard time I fear. We wanted to try out the pull down bed as we are both quite large (me a 6'1" ex second row and my wife) we found it very comfortable and not at all claustraphobic. Any other comments on the above would be most welcome.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back