Hi (2 Viewers)

Sara2sparkle

Free Member
Feb 4, 2018
Wales
Funster No
MH
About to buy
Almost retired, husband and I, and about to buy our first Motorhome. We've talked about it for a few years and we were going to buy next year but have decided to sieze the day! I know the layout I want (or i think i want as having read the buyers guide i gather no-one gets it right first time) a dinette with L shape lounge at the rear to leave made up as a bed. We are buying new and are lucky enough to have a healthy budget, at the moment we are considering an auto-trail, but would however, welcome any advice from those in the know. Have so enjoyed reading all the threads and gleaned a lot already, who knew a watering can was a must!

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Hello and welcome! :)

Before you make any decisions on layout I would go to a dealership and look at as many as you can.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
:HelloThere: and hellowelcome

Definitely go to a motorhome show if you can, you'll get to try out lots if different vans. Good luck with your search.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
smiley-hello-clipart-1.jpg.gif

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi.gif
and a warm welcome from us.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 4, 2016
sidcup
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic c line 5.0
Exp
a few years
hello and welcome

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
Hi welcome to fun happy and safe travels.

Jezlar

Free Member
Jan 20, 2017
Exeter
Funster No
MH
Marquis Majestic 180
Exp
Hi. Welcome to Fun! :D:D:D

Going to the NEC show or similar is a good idea, but get there early or you may find it frustrating. I went to the October event the year before last and found it difficult to get a proper look at some of the vans. Also, if you don't fit the age profile perceived by some reps - I didn't on my own as a relatively youthful 47 year old - you may find yourself being somewhat ignored (their loss, as it turned out).

Far more useful in narrowing down our choice were regular visits to local dealers. We learned a lot about the different layouts and compromises involved in buying a motorhome.

When looking, don't be afraid to try everything out. At times I swear that Mrs Jezlar despaired of me sprawling out on sofas, assembling tables, climbing into overcabs and even sitting on the throne! However, all this play acting helped to narrow down the possibilities. A list of must-haves and nice-to-haves was also useful!

Good luck with your search!

Jezlar

Jezlar

Free Member
Jan 20, 2017
Exeter
Funster No
MH
Marquis Majestic 180
Exp
... oh, and I second the watering can comment! We have two in the locker, and they've been used dozens of times more than the expensive flow-through hose that I bought on impulse soon after acquiring 'Madge'. Another peril of motorhoming - the temptation to buy stuff that you don't really need! :cry:

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
:hiya2:hellowelcome
We spent 3 years looking before buying, must have changed the layout a dozen times, we’ve had it a year now and still very happy with it.

Mickey

OP
OP
S

Sara2sparkle

Free Member
Feb 4, 2018
Wales
Funster No
MH
About to buy
Hi. Welcome to Fun! :D:D:D

Going to the NEC show or similar is a good idea, but get there early or you may find it frustrating. I went to the October event the year before last and found it difficult to get a proper look at some of the vans. Also, if you don't fit the age profile perceived by some reps - I didn't on my own as a relatively youthful 47 year old - you may find yourself being somewhat ignored (their loss, as it turned out).

Far more useful in narrowing down our choice were regular visits to local dealers. We learned a lot about the different layouts and compromises involved in buying a motorhome.

When looking, don't be afraid to try everything out. At times I swear that Mrs Jezlar despaired of me sprawling out on sofas, assembling tables, climbing into overcabs and even sitting on the throne! However, all this play acting helped to narrow down the possibilities. A list of must-haves and nice-to-haves was also useful!

Good luck with your search!

Jezlar

Hi Jezlar, thank you for your reply. We are off to the nec this month but we went a couple of years ago and as you say it does get very frustrating. Going to the dealerships sounds more promising, thanks. In our case it will be me doing the sprawling and loo testing!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back