Aug 4, 2009
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Less Than 1 Year
Hi Folks

About me, child of the 80s, the last generation to enjoy decent music. Live in the Norfolk broads with my wife and two sprogs. Self employed with two micro businesses, keep bees, ducks, chickens and a Dog, just adore sentences with masses of comas in them.

Completely new to this, am just preparing to jet off to somewhere foreign for a couple of weeks, and realised that I'm not really liking all the stress that goes with it. Thinks maybe a motorhome will make me a more mellow fellow. So should I do it? Does it make me even more midlle aged? Is it a huge financial mistake and will the kids hate me forever?

On to more practical stuff, what are these behemoths like to drive?, I scraped my lwb van almost immediately.... Are they as scary as they look? Will my wife ever drive it or is she just saying she will?

Should I buy new or "pre owned", what layout, I need to keep the kids in vaguely separate areas at night as one of them is a ........ teenage girl, aaaahhhh!!!!!

Will I ever get to the north coast of Africa or is it Margate and Skegness for the rest of our lives?

What must I avoid? and should I hire one first or just take the plunge?

Does this garage thing I keep reading about double up as a wine cellar?

P.s I don't have smelly feet and I don't snore either.

Dave

May 22, 2008
Funster No
Hi the worlds your oyster in a Camper van, I guess a good way for you to go is to hire one to start off with, that way you won't loose lots of money if you don't like the way of life. Another good way to go would be to attend one of the Motorhome shows [ one coming up at Malvern ] and go to the camping areas and speak with the Motorhomers there, most will be more than happy to show you their pride and joy and talk you through the pros and cons, [are there any cons ??] I wouldn't recommend talking to a van salesman as he /she want to make a sale and won't [probably ] tell you like it is.You don't need to buy a huge expensive rig to start off with, try an older smaller van ,doesn't matter much what it looks like as long as you ENJOY, best wishes and good luck .Malc.:thumb::thumb:

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
:ROFLMAO:

welcome smellyfeet

leave the bees at home

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 22, 2008
Funster No
Yes you will get to north Africa in a Campervan, we have just comeback from Morocco,we have also toured France, Spain, Germany , Holland ,Belguim and Greece in ours , others have been even further afield , We have a garage in our van and carry just about everything in it subject to weight, and my wifes must have at all times is the spin drier which we use a lot whilst wild camping.
:thumb::thumb:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
WELCOME SmellyFeet:whatthe:

Come and join the Mad hatters tea party.::bigsmile:

I would say hire first that way you will find what you are in for,some likes it, some don't.

Look around dealers but don't always take their word, they after all are after your cash. Visit outdoor shows, ask people in camping area, they are normally friendly and will often show you their pride and joy and give you its good and bad points.
If you decide its for you make sure you get one that will have enough payload, for 4 people.

You can always ask on here, people on this site have a wealth of knowledge, and are only to happy to help.

Best of luck

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

Pete45

Free Member
Jan 29, 2009
Milton Keynes Bucks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Had 2 RV from 2003
Hi Dave or is it Smellyfeet a big welcome to you,why not go to Malvern show and have a look on the 14 to 16 of august you will see what it is all about then. Pete & Shirl
( Arizona Chief ) :thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Dave, buy some mags perhaps MMM, have a look round Becks at Martham, plenty on display new and not so new, there are lots of issues about transport when on site with a mhome, do you consider the orrible thing you hook on the back of your car #*#'~#*.
Big decision time

Larry

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Hi Folks

About me, child of the 80s, the last generation to enjoy decent music. Live in the Norfolk broads with my wife and two sprogs. Self employed with two micro businesses, keep bees, ducks, chickens and a Dog, just adore sentences with masses of comas in them.

Completely new to this, am just preparing to jet off to somewhere foreign for a couple of weeks, and realised that I'm not really liking all the stress that goes with it. Thinks maybe a motorhome will make me a more mellow fellow. So should I do it? Yes Does it make me even more midlle aged? No Is it a huge financial mistake and will the kids hate me forever? Define huge and mistake; the kids'll probably hate you for ever anyway (until they need some more pocket money, that is)

On to more practical stuff, what are these behemoths like to drive?, I scraped my lwb van almost immediately.... Are they as scary as they look? Will my wife ever drive it or is she just saying she will? Ours is 6.3 metres long, sleeps 5 (4 comfortably, though we've not been over three yet) It can get a bit cramped inside with four, so erect a drive away awning (which can double as an extra bedroom) and most Euro vans will go anywhere white-van-man can go. It's the huge US RVs that need the six lane highways ::bigsmile: and my wife does drive it occasionally.

Should I buy new or "pre owned", Pre-owned will always be cheaper to buy with the added advantage that all the niggly faults have already happened what layout,Layout is entirely dependent on your perceived needs. Talk to people who already own (as suggested already the show at Malvern is a good place to start; don't believe everything (anything?:winky: - just kidding) a dealer tells you - whereas some are honest and straight others are shady and only want your cash and you out the door. I need to keep the kids in vaguely separate areas at night as one of them is a ........ teenage girl, aaaahhhh!!!!!Where are you going to find space for the clothes and the make-up? :Doh:

Will I ever get to the north coast of Africa Yes. We've been to Spain, Germany, Sweden and Denmark, Scotland for several weeks at a time.or is it Margate and Skegness for the rest of our lives?If that's what you want; we've also been to the Isle of Wight, and the Isle of Purbeck, Wales, Derbyshire, Northumberland, Yorkshire, etc., etc., etc.

What must I avoid?Anything that looks too good to be true; anything with limited payload - payload is what's left after you've taken the van weight, fuelled it up, taken into account all your bolted-on extras such as wind-out awnings, solar panels, bike racks, extra batteries, etc. and the driver (this your "Unladen Weight"). Every person over and above the driver, all their luggage (and yours), food, kitchen equipment, bathroom products, ground sheet, standalone awning, windbreaks, computers, books and so forth, come out of payload (which is the difference between Unladen and Gross Vehicle Weights - which MUST NOT be exceeded) and should I hire one first or just take the plunge? Hiring one will at least confirm that you enjoy the lifestyle

Does this garage thing I keep reading about double up as a wine cellar? Of course:whatthe: Any space at all can double up as a wine cellar:winky:, subject, of course to payload

P.s I don't have smelly feet and I don't snore either. Glad to hear it (or not as it happens) :roflmto:

Dave

Try it, you know you want to. And we all know you'll love it.

John

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SmellyFeet

Free Member
Aug 4, 2009
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Less Than 1 Year
Thanks All

Thanks all, just to clarify, leave bees at home, but take ducks and chickens?

Cheers

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.

Cheers

Why not? :roflmto:. I believe Jim tows his dog behind him - though not on an A-frame.
And some people take the most unusual of pets, so why not ducks and chickens - no need to buy eggs, and Crispy Duck can be delicious:whatthe:
::bigsmile:

John

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years

Cheers

Bring em all :thumb:

Duck eggs with a dribble of honey Yum!!

Or you could do what I did..................Jump in with both smelly feet and buy the biggest american R.V you can find! that way, no probs with payload and teens accessories ::bigsmile:

Boo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back