Hi we are newbies and havent got a clue (1 Viewer)

Jan 24, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Still learning šŸ˜Š
Hello and welcome to Fun. You have made the right decision joining MF always lots of help and advice on here. Just dont panic and it will get much easier as you go along. Enjoy

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Thank you great to know, are you a Alpaca breeder by the way?

#Nah! that photo was taken first thing in the morning before @movan put her make up on! :hugs:
-
-
-
-
-
She's lovely really:cheers:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
In ten years I've never used a hose; uncontrollable space-filling, dribbling things.
I only use a watering can with a right angled bend slipped on the spout from any DIY store . As said above, good exercise.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Hello and welcome! :)

You'll always need a hose to fill your vehicle. As you've booked onto a serviced pitch I expect the tap is a few metres away from the pitch which is why they've told you you'll need to provide one yourself.

Whenever you go to a site you will need a hose to fill your tank though. Some sites provide a hose but others don't and in that case you'll need your own. It also pays to have a number of hose connectors of differing connection types and sizes as its not a 'one size fits all' scenario.

Gave up hoses years ago..Always use a watering can,,,Never in a hurry. BUSBY:D:D

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Gave up hoses years ago..Always use a watering can,,,Never in a hurry. BUSBY:D:D
When had my sailing boat I did buy one of those flat fabric ones that you wind up back into a cassette (like an extension lead) but after using it twice I gave it away. You had to unroll the whole lot even for a short reach to the tap and then unpick all the kinks and twists. I nearly lost the will to live with the faff of winding it all back in afterwards.
Multiple trips with a watering can are an ideal opportunity to liberate trapped wind and you meet the nicest people at the water taps.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Expandable hoses are the way to go!!!

Failing that, get a couple of kids into a school,, any school then claim a council house,,,

Then you wonā€™t need anything!! Xxx

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
In 12 years weā€™ve never used a hose.
Agree with above comments about using a watering can or similar and enjoying the walks to and fro chatting to others.
We like to keep one separate 5 litre food grade container which is freshly filled every day for drinking water.

Peaktracker

Free Member
Jun 13, 2018
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Auto-trai Tracker RB
Exp
Since 2018
Hi Trevor-Make a list of all things to put in the Motorhome for each trip including pants and phone charger and cross them off when they are in.!!Read instructions on things like charging the battery but you will make daft mistakes like us but it is true there is always someone around to give priceless advice. Gary

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Hello and welcome! :)

You'll always need a hose to fill your vehicle. As you've booked onto a serviced pitch I expect the tap is a few metres away from the pitch which is why they've told you you'll need to provide one yourself.

Have never in all our years of motorhoming, used a hose. But each to their own.
Would say though, do not use the supplied hoses, have seen some disgusting habits.

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
I have three expandable hoses, why three? One site I went to the longest hose was not long enough even expanded, so I purchased and other long one. This reached and done the job brilliantly. The third one is a shorter one that extends nicely, and I use that for taps that are nearer to the van. Over period of time I have purchased Hozelock connections, male - male, male - female, made my own female - female, screw on tap - male (essential), and a few variants. I also have a 10L watering can with a food safe hose I connect to the outspout:eek:, with the water cap removed I insert the hose, and tip the can to fill. Does the job in seconds. What is that!! why use a can when I have hoses. Good question, some sites have the tap that bit too far away, so I use the trusty back up:).

So where do I keep the expandable hoses do I hear you say, well, inside the watering, saving on space.(y)

Outdoor seating, plenty of posts about that around, gas BBQ's, I have a small one and an electric pan. The electric pan is used more often though.

I think as you visit more and more sites, you will pick up ideas as you see other motorhomer's around using all types of gadgets, just pop over and ask, I have, and had some decent conversations. Some have even been funsters, though my anonymity may now be over with showing my face as my avatar:whistle::whistle:.

What make/model motorhome have you bought?

Flook

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Have never in all our years of motorhoming, used a hose. But each to their own.
Would say though, do not use the supplied hoses, have seen some disgusting habits.
I agree with not using the hose if there's one supplied. Always use your own. You know where it's been.

Brucek

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Funster No
I would also recommend you make up an 'Arrival' and 'Departure' check list.

E. g.
Check handbrake
Switch fridge to gas
Turn on 12v
Etc.
Etc.
Open beer - relax

Once you are happy with the lists you can laminate them (you don't need a laminator, you can use an iron (protect the laminate with a teatowel (oooh nested brackets! )) the laminate pockets are just a few pence).

Then make a point of ALWAYS using the lists so you don't forget something. Don't ask me how I know.

Welcome BTW

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
98636c6ee64925a19858f8a491d300d2.gif

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
Also a separate list. Foot wear, evening wear, daytime wear, soap/towel and separate old shoes (for showers). Also, tea bags, coffee, mugs, plates, cutlery, first aid stuff and glasses for wine, pint glasses for beer, and reading glasses for the smaller stuff.

Oh, and if you find it rather quiet, you might have left her indoors behind (not a good idea, there again:whistle::oops:)

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Welcome! Put your mind at ease, this is simply the best motorhome forum. I have needed help for many things from the obscure to downright idiotic whether home or abroad and an answer or solution has never been far away.

The most valuable motorhome asset I've ever spent money on.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Once you are happy with the lists you can laminate them (you don't need a laminator, you can use an iron (protect the laminate with a teatowel (oooh nested brackets! )) the laminate pockets are just a few pence).

Loving the nested brackets (my personal favourite (grammatical punctuation))

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
Cheers, yes had a practice on the drive it went quite well and everything seemed to work. We are hoping to get away in March for the first time and are looking at booking a serviced pitch at Hawes in Yorkshire, it recommends to bring both 25 meter charging cable and also a 25 meter hose, is the hose really necessary?
We donā€™t carry a hose, just a watering can! Good exercise walking back and forth to water tap and it enables you to keep a check on how much water you carry and use so that you donā€™t carry too much weight.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I carry three hoses of different lengths and a watering can. The shortest hose is only about 2m and is the one I use the most when I can get close to the tap.
The watering can is probably the next most used. Must echo about not using hoses supplied, disconnect the disgusting articles and connect your own. Some people use them for everything short of colonic irrigation :sicker:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back