Hi, we are about to purchase a new Bailey autograph 79-4l, Im concearned about the water tank freshness (1 Viewer)

allaboard

Free Member
Jul 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Hi,
My wife and I are about to become fulltimers in the UK. We are purchasing a Bailey autograph 794-4l. Never had a motorhome, so having to learn lots quickly!
My main concern is how to maintain the water tanks and how often, to avoid bacteria and other nasties....any advice? Also and other suggestions on anything else....I feel like I'm starting something major blindfolded!
Thanks.
Tim

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
In the UK I wouldn’t worry too much about your water tank, main thing is to ensure the water quality of what you are using to fill it. You will get lots of different suggestions but its horses for courses. In over 40 years of motor home and caravan use we have always used the tank for drinking etc with no problems. In some parts of Europe it may pay to use bottled water for drinking. think long and hard about all those must have items you think you may need. If you are full timing payload is your enemy.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
From no motorhome experience to full time. Brave! Hope you like it. :unsure:

On the water, I agree with the above. What you could do is use bottled water for any cold water drinking and the tank for all other uses. Thats pretty much what we do although I will drink out of the water tank on occasion if needed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
A

allaboard

Free Member
Jul 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Hi there,
Thank-you for your prompt reply and advice....yes I'm coming to realise payload!!!

Aug 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Accordo 120
Exp
Sept 2019
:hi2: w2f :cheers: Try puriclean, other folks will have their favorites too. You want something to clean the tank without possible damage to boiler elements.

OP
OP
A

allaboard

Free Member
Jul 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Thanks Dramfineday for your welcome and advice

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
I think if you are FTing, the tanks will get used so much they should stay clean,especially with the chlorine already present in the water,,good luck on your travels (y)

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I think if you are FTing, the tanks will get used so much they should stay clean,especially with the chlorine already present in the water,,good luck on your travels (y)
Hello and welcome from West Midlands. 👍 I agree.

Wyn

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Welcome! We use a jug to get drinking water straight from the water source (campsite tap etc) & put it in the fridge. We then use tank water for everything else, including tea & coffee. We also went full time for three years, having never had a Motorhome before! Good luck!

OP
OP
A

allaboard

Free Member
Jul 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Rrr...thanks Wabs and Wyn....really appreciate your kind welcome and advice and the same for all you other guys posts back to me!😊😊😊
Any other advice for me becoming a fulltime would also be welcome...thank-you

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Welcome. You’ll be well advised to add something like the product posted below, even if you use fresh water, as legionella and other nasties can build up at ambient temperatures. We used aqua sol on our yacht for years and now in the MH and it’s marvellous stuff.

OP
OP
A

allaboard

Free Member
Jul 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Welcome! We use a jug to get drinking water straight from the water source (campsite tap etc) & put it in the fridge. We then use tank water for everything else, including tea & coffee. We also went full time for three years, having never had a Motorhome before! Good luck!
Thanks for this...and your welcome and words of advice...any other words of wisdom and advice I'd greatly welcome 🌞

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
Also as Bessy has already said,, you’re payload is the one thing to watch (y)

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
I would also recommend joining here, as there will be an answer for every question you have! Best £15 I spent! 😀

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I can't see the Bailey 74-4i being any good at all for full time touring.

The basic weight of the van is 3,233kg so then add full water; full fuel, a variation for the material types being used; the extra dealer options, a passenger, plus the extra weight should the driver be over the standard 75kg allowance and by my reckoning you'll already be at 3,750kg - and this figure excludes food, bikes, extra batteries, extra gas bottles, clothing, cutlery, dogs, ,beer & wine, extra passengers, tools etc etc the list goes on.

The Bailey 74-4i is therefore a totally unsuitable van for full timing.

Note-1: You should also have a back up plan for the those days/weeks it'll need to go back to the 'supplying dealer' to get repaired.

Note-2: Check the Bailey warranty to see if it will support your full time aspirations as lots of UK manufacturers have a clause in the contract which stipulates that these vans are not designed for full time living and therefore the warranty is void for those doing so.

Last edited:
May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
w2f
We use bottled water for drinking , and only use the on board tank for showering and washing up!

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
I can't see the Bailey 74-4i being any good at all for full time touring.

The basic weight of the van is 3,233kg so then add full water; full fuel, a variation for the material types being used; the extra dealer options, a passenger, plus the extra weight should the driver be over the standard 75kg allowance and by my reckoning you'll already be at 3,750kg - and this figure excludes food, bikes, extra batteries, extra gas bottles, clothing, cutlery, dogs, ,beer & wine, extra passengers, tools etc etc the list goes on.

The Bailey 74-4i is therefore a totally unsuitable van for full timing.

Note-1: You should also have a back up plan for the those days/weeks it'll need to go back to the 'supplying dealer' to get repaired.

Note-2: Check the Bailey warranty to see if it will support your full time aspirations as lots of UK manufacturers have a clause in the contract which stipulates that these vans are not designed for full time living and therefore the warranty is void for those doing so.
The poster states Bailey 79-4l which has a payload of 617kgs so that should help. Probably upgradeable further to 4100kgs with suspension/tyre mods which realistically might give another 100 or so kgs extra payload.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
The poster states Bailey 79-4l which has a payload of 617kgs so that should help. Probably upgradeable further to 4100kgs with suspension/tyre mods which realistically might give another 100 or so kgs extra payload.

That was a typo error by me, I did mean 79-4i but my fingers didn't press the keys in the right order :)

If the MTPLM can be increased then that's good news but I'm not entirely sure that the OP will be aware of such a process.

Also, if the MIRO is 3,233kg without all of the many extra weights being added (mentioned in my previous post) then it won't take long before the rear axle has exceeded its standard load capacity so in reality the 3,850kg figure is probably not achievable in any case.

If the OP wants a van for full timing then he really needs to be considerjng something which is capable of big payload figures........

......The Bailey may be a good weekend or holiday van but not ideal for permanent living.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
......The Bailey may be a good weekend or holiday van but not ideal for permanent living.
I have a 75-2 upgraded to 4100kgs and I would not want to live full time in it. Perfectly good for long holidays.

I would want a Yank with slide outs 😃

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We’ve got 1650kgs payload and I’ve just had a junk clear out as I think we were getting close. :whistle2:

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
Also, you’re limited to 5 posts as a free member. It’s worth subscribing as the £15 buys you a lot of advice!
It will be one of the best 15 quid you spend.
By the way ;bigwelcome: from Merseyside

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Welcome. You’ll be well advised to add something like the product posted below, even if you use fresh water, as legionella and other nasties can build up at ambient temperatures. We used aqua sol on our yacht for years and now in the MH and it’s marvellous stuff.

Same here. Both yachts and caravans/motorhomes. Cheap enough and keeps it all clean.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
You could have a towbar fitted and pull a small box trailer

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
I travelled FT Europe for 3 years including two lockdowns ,I wasn't too bad living in it even during winter months garage storage was limited but my main reason for changing to a Continental van was the Bailey was unrealible with Hab faults worst being the Hab door had to secure it shut for Six months as no dealer would touch it and even when I had peaugot issues they were reluctant . On arrival back in the UK it was another three months before Bailey got the parts .

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
We keep a Brita filter jug full next to the sink, use this for all drinks hot or cold, showers and washing up come straight from the 400L tank

this is the easy way and not expensive,

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Ive just been looking to buy a new Bailey Autograpgh 79 4 T at Spinneys, how did you get on OP did you purchase it

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back