Hi, we are a retired couple from Bristol living in Spain (1 Viewer)

Carich

Free Member
Jul 17, 2021
Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Had a Hymer in 2001 for 12 months. Bought our second Hymer in 2019
Hi, I know this is a UK based site and we are in SPain but I am hoping that members will have some expertise that we can benefit from.

We bought a Hymer B644 in Spain in October 2019. The van was already on Spanish plates and registered at 3,500We had planned to do a long European trip in 2020 but we know what happened. We realised quite soon after purchase that the payload was not going to be enough so we have spent the last 18mths trying to re register the van at 4,000 (we have a certificate from Hymer) . Unfortunately after many dead ends we have now been told categorically it cannot be re registered in Spain with the increased weight. Consequently we have decided to sell and buy another Motorhome. So the big question is what Motorhomes give the best payload? We realise we will have to compromise and that's fine but we would like a payload of at least 500kgs.

Thank you in advance

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We live in Spain too...and have done since I was a wee lad...more or less.
We travel in a Hymer 514 Tramp...just two of us...but our kit list is sufficient to allow us to bike, climb, fish and Canoe......never go over 3500kg.....the Spanish like 3500kg or less...
License restrictions could determine what van one chooses....

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
how much payload do you have in current van?Seems a shame to sell if you like it and new one may be a compromise on space? Can you not just use it at the -er- top of the payload if you have not much excess? Always puzzled by the payload issues as never heard of anyone being stopped and weighed ?xx

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Martin has posted above about our Hymer Tramp. We do try to keep within the permitted payload. However, this means we can't travel with a full fresh water tank and a full fuel tank. We're happy to find water as and when we need it and to top up to half with diesel most times we visit the fuel station.

We DON'T have an extensive wardrobe of clothes. Wash and wear are the name of the game, with a good set for trips out with friends (if we come across any) šŸ¤£šŸ¤£.

Everything's doable if you're careful.

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Family Matters Hello GIF

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
Noneā€¦ā€¦..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from Normans Bay! (y)

(As Kirsten askedā€¦ā€¦what is your current payloadā€¦.?:unsure:)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Hi and :welcome3: to FUN!

As you've already discovered from this thread, quite a few members living in Spain.

Shame you can't get the Hymer up-plated - unfortunately, I don't have the knowledge to offer advice on the Spanish administration of such matters. But it sounds as though you've spent plenty of time researching...

We manage at 3,500kg, but have to run fairly close to that to carry everything we want. Like jumartoo we keep the on board water levels low when travelling and usually don't go much over three quarters of a tank with the diesel (usually less).

Anyway, hope you can either get the Hymer sorted or find another van that better meets your needs. (y)

OP
OP
Carich

Carich

Free Member
Jul 17, 2021
Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi, thank you for your replies. We weighed the van the other day with one adult, no dogs or bikes, no food/drink, half tank fuel, 1/4 tank of water and it was 3480. We are not prepared to drive over the registered weight, although I am aware that a lot of people do we choose not to take the risk.
We are also very happy to live in the same clothes with frequent washing and I believe we pack 'lightly'. I'm sure with some tweaking we could perhaps gain an extra 100kg but this isn't enough for our needs

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hi and :welcome3: to FUN!

As you've already discovered from this thread, quite a few members living in Spain.

Shame you can't get the Hymer up-plated - unfortunately, I don't have the knowledge to offer advice on the Spanish administration of such matters. But it sounds as though you've spent plenty of time researching...

We manage at 3,500kg, but have to run fairly close to that to carry everything we want. Like jumartoo we keep the on board water levels low when travelling and usually don't go much over three quarters of a tank with the diesel (usually less).

Anyway, hope you can either get the Hymer sorted or find another van that better meets your needs. (y)
Just checked or unladen weight...2880kg...I was aware a Hymer has a generous Payload...

OP
OP
Carich

Carich

Free Member
Jul 17, 2021
Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
how much payload do you have in current van?Seems a shame to sell if you like it and new one may be a compromise on space? Can you not just use it at the -er- top of the payload if you have not much excess? Always puzzled by the payload issues as never heard of anyone being stopped and weighed ?xx
We have known people in Spain that have been stopped and weighed

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We have known people in Spain that have been stopped and weighed
We make a point of visiting a weigh station before we leave for a summer trip...that's when we are carrying max equipment....if we were stopped I would produce the ticket...it may show that we have an interest in keeping within the law....never been asked, until....šŸ„“

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Just checked or unladen weight...2880kg...I was aware a Hymer has a generous Payload...
Interestingly, our previous van was a Chausson 6m coachbuilt and only weighed about 2,700kg unladen, so lots of capacity for us. (plated @ 3,500kg)

When we changed to a 6.4m pvc, it came as something of a surprise to find it weighed well over 3,000kg empty, so significantly less payload... :unsure: Guess I should have realised, because the bodywork is all steel, rather than mostly fibreglass on a coachbuilt. ;)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I got stopped in December 2019 an hour north of Bordeaux on way back here. They thought I was a commercial though . still weighed it then regaled me with how I was 800kgs under. Fully converted I have a payload of 820kgs & that is with van full of diesel, full water. That is on a 3300kg limit though although I did at one point think of increasing it to the axle limit total of 3850 kgs but decided against it. I might up it to the 3,500kgs though which requires nothing.

In my old 4 berth coach built,which was overloaded if my wife ,myself & the dog actually got in, I fortunately was never stopped.:hot:
.never been asked, until....
the day that you forget to do it.:laughing:

Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
Hi, I know this is a UK based site and we are in SPain but I am hoping that members will have some expertise that we can benefit from.

We bought a Hymer B644 in Spain in October 2019. The van was already on Spanish plates and registered at 3,500We had planned to do a long European trip in 2020 but we know what happened. We realised quite soon after purchase that the payload was not going to be enough so we have spent the last 18mths trying to re register the van at 4,000 (we have a certificate from Hymer) . Unfortunately after many dead ends we have now been told categorically it cannot be re registered in Spain with the increased weight. Consequently we have decided to sell and buy another Motorhome. So the big question is what Motorhomes give the best payload? We realise we will have to compromise and that's fine but we would like a payload of at least 500kgs.

Thank you in advance
Could you not get a small to medium trailer to tow payload sorted

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
One big plus for the lighter weight of our van is that we don't have a big fridge freezer and no oven. They must add a good few kilos šŸ¤” we also removed the heavy (about 27 kilos) fixed table and carry a very light one we can use inside or out.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Hi and another big w2f .
I put a towbar on our Hymer and tow a small trailer if needed,last IMT test in Portugal we were a little tight on payload so considering removing the satellite tv system which we donā€™t use,that must be a heavy bit of kit.
Always travel with 25% water,not often you canā€™t get water,god luck with your search.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back