Free Member
Jan 26, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Nil
We have decided to buy a motor home and are looking for some recommendations and advice please . It will need to sleep Andy and myself, Kate plus our seven month old puppy Tiggy. We are first timers so very unsure of what is around on the market. We plan to start going away for long weekends in Devon,Cornwall etc then plan a road trip through France, Portugal and possible Greece. We are looking for a second hand one, could anyone offer us some advice?

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hello and welcome.

You have a myriad of layouts, sizes and prices to wade through. You need to think about how you want to use the van.

On big sites with on tap electricity and full facilities on site
Or
Small farmers field type sites, with just somewhere to get fresh water and empty the loo.
Or
No sites at all and go down the self-sufficient route

Do you want a fixed bed or be willing to make up the bed everyday. So much to think about. The best thing you can do is visit a few shows and go in as many vans as you can. Don't be put of by the price tags at the shows, once you have a better idea of what you like you can search around for similar vans in you price range.
Exciting times ahead and lots of help and advise available on here, some of it will actually make sense too:ROFLMAO:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi and welcome, give Andy a call on 01-580-881288 and have a chat to him, he has had many years of experience living in vans and touring in past years

Good luck

Peter

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Hello and welcome from Leicestershire.

Exciting times ahead, look at as many MH`s as you can, imagine yourself in them, have you room to use the loo, shower etc, are the beds comfy for all of you, how would it feel in bad weather when you are stuck inside for a bit, have you room to move about, is it comfortable to drive, I looked for the base vehicle first ,as to me that was more important, if you find the base vehicle ie engine that you want they all do different layouts so one to suit you, take your time as it could be a costly mistakes if you are not happy with it, I am on my second one in 18 months, only because my first was a small one, then decided I wanted to go bigger, but I stuck with my original engine and habitation build, and I am more than happy now.

Enjoy and ask away there are many on here who are very knowledgeable, now is the best time to buy really as prices seem to rise in the spring.

Good luck,
Regards,
Margaret

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Welcome. Exciting times ahead but please don't rush into a hasty purchase.
Research as much as you can. The Motorhome Buyers Guide EBook available from this site would be a good investment.
As others have said try and get to as many dealers and shows as you can.
Good luck :thumb:

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I would recomend you have a good look round to get the layout you think may suit you then i would advise you hire one for a week and give it a try .Hire is a bit expensive but it will give you a good insite as to how things go and it still is much cheaper than buying something that you may regret. I do wish you well in your search and good luck to you and a big welcome and have fun.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Echo what everyone has said here. We hired one that we thought we wanted, ie an Adria 640 Sports (I think) because we THOUGHT we wanted a big garage with fixed bed over the top. Spent three days in it and didn't like it at all; so much so that we were sure motorhoming wasn't for us.

However, we carried on looking and then found the A class motorhomes, decided they were for us, and have luckily bought one that we love. The key thing is, we found the A class was the type for us, others will say they much prefer a coach built, and others will say a garage is a must - everyone's preferences and priorities are different. Suffice to say, we changed our minds countless times in the two years we looked, and the first one we fell in love with and almost bought would have been a huge mistake knowing what we know now.

Most important thing is - have fun looking, take your time, ask any question you want on this forum, and hopefully you will get the right one first time, like we did. :Smile:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Welcome to the madhouse. Which motorhome to buy? - Layout, layout, layout. We love ours and have looked at literally hundreds of others but only like our layout. What sort of dog is Tigger because big dogs need more room.

Rgds
Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back