kandoo

Free Member
Jan 14, 2012
north east england
Funster No
MH
talbot talisman
Exp
Just wanted to saY HI to everyone. I have had my m. home for just over a year now and have used it quite a lot considering my wife and I both work full time. We have also travelled into france last year to try it out with the van.
We are trying to decide now whether to take ferry to bilbao (because we can take dog in cabin on this route) and head for the med or stay around aquataine OR to jump over the channel and travel down. WE CANT DECIDE WHAT TO DO:RollEyes: But its great having the choice to see so many places on the way what ever we decide. We even thought about staying around north spain but In june the weather may not be too reliable.
Never had so much choice, now I just have to learn to make decisions:roflmto:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Sea conditions in the Bay of Biscay are very very rarely calm.

So it all depends on how good your sea legs are.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Hi Kandoo and :welcome:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Good innit? Pull up , 'ave a cuppa, sit outside of a night, watch the stars.
Tune in 'ere, meet all sorts:Doh:
Sanity Rules? Not on 'ere me 'ansome:Doh:
Welcome to the Madhouse:thumb:

It's FUN :thumb: Really!:whatthe:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Hi Kandoo. We couldn't do Santander/Bilbao because of sea legs problems but we go over from Dover (with dog), only 2 hours crossing and then take a nice plod through France. If you are new to this, you really want to keep to the D roads and see the countryside. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

OP
OP
K

kandoo

Free Member
Jan 14, 2012
north east england
Funster No
MH
talbot talisman
Exp
Thanks all

Hi thanks for all the warm greetings :Smile::thanks2: and advice.We have had our motor home for about a year so still new to this.
We have often hired gites, caravans and even had a folding camper over in france. We only stayed around normandy with folding camper but have been to vendee, poit charente (vienne), ( deux sevre) la rochelle) when staying in accomodation.
We love having many short breaks now with the motorhome and having everything with us that we could possibly need, all the time and parking at so many places of beauty and yet being able to make food and a cuppa while there.
When taking the motorhome over last year we stayed around nord pas de calais just to try it out. The coast was quite pleasant with many areas having sand dunes but it didnt feel that different from England probably because the weather was the same rain, rain and more rain. That is why we are looking at trying north spain in late june. BUT have done some research and found that this area is very rainy and likely to be cool. We dont mind ...say..20-22 degrees c . I,m sure many of you will know this area while we will be complete novices. We think we have good sea legs for bilao ferry ?????well maybe
Are the views inland good, are the beaches good. Dont like too much raz ma taz.
Are dogs allowed on beaches. Are the sites good (any suggestions welcom)

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
For quite a few its not the sea legs thats a problem, the ferry to santander/bilbao now is quite expensive as the only company doing that crossing is brittany ferries.
If you get a complete costing of the ferry crossing including cabin and dog for when you want to go online, you then can work out if it is cheaper to spend a couple of days traveling through france and using the calais ferry route, for most that is the cheaper option plus you get to see some nice countryside and some very nice towns, chateaus etc.
You dont pay to travel on most roads in france just the main fast link roads and traveling along the 'N or D' roads and free motorways can be just as good and better because they are free and fuel is cheaper and most camping sites/aires are off these roads:thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We went down to Bilbao area on the ferry last Easter and stayed at a site in Noja.

We had fantastic weather but I think last Easter was hot everywhere. It's a lovely area to visit though.

Then in the summer we took the ferry to Santander and then drove through the Rioja region straight across Spain to the Med. I really enjoyed that but it's an expensive way of doing things.

On balance I would say drive unless you can get a really good deal on the ferry.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back