Hi new Motorhome owner with problems! (1 Viewer)

Peter Waller

Free Member
Oct 17, 2018
Weston Super Mare
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 fsme
Exp
1 year
Hi just to say I purchased a Hobby 750 March 2001 registered December 2017 and have already done 4000 miles and loved every minute! But alas found a few water ingress problems:( Boiler had gone through the floor, that looked like a heat problem and water ingress as I found a damp patch under the settee. Took boiler out and fixed all that and any rot I could not get to I covered in under-seal bitumen. Put it all back together then found the floor under the shower tray rotted so replaced all that and took off all the bathroom panels and found no further leaks. Sealed plug in the tray properly as this was loose and replaced a panel under the van below the shower outlet pipes and gave several coats of underseal on all joints and where sealant was. Now I find the floor is rotten in a small area underneath the van in the corner where the water filling flap is. I did have a leaking sureflow water pump next to the water tank inside the van which I fixed so this could have been the cause. Any advise would be great! I live in Weston Super Mare and paid top money for the van as it only had 30,000 miles and had been kitted out with many extras for off grid living including 3 x solar panels etc.

Attachments

• 20180822_205252.jpg
    20180822_205252.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 160
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Looks like a nice van and it's handy that you can do your own repairs, that should help keep running costs down. (y)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Welcome...
But advise for what ???
How to fix the floor, you seem pretty handy so far. (y)
How to get a hitman to take out the seller who took you cash ??? ;) (That's a joke BUT with people on here you never know).

If you had visited prior to the purchase I would have been saying, before buying get a habitation / damp check done. Well worth the outlay...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Peter Waller

Peter Waller

Free Member
Oct 17, 2018
Weston Super Mare
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 fsme
Exp
1 year
Looks like a nice van and it's handy that you can do your own repairs, that should help keep running costs down. (y)
Yes all good so far but not actually found a definitive leak. Checked all tap and hose connections and drain from rear of roof and shower connections etc. Still like you say its a learning process!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Your van looks great. The Hobby vans look a little different to the standard white box and are stylish in looks.

Is all your damp / rot in the floor or do you have issues with the walls/roof? If it is floor only (using only in the loosest sense as any damp is bad news) I would suggest that you have identified the issues and fixed as far as you are able. If there is a problem in the roof / walls you need to check all the exterior joints in the van, sides and roof and strip / reseal anything that looks iffy. Use a flexible sealant (others will advise which make and type, puraflex or similar) not the diy stuff as you need the sealer to flex and not set solid.

You also need to check that the windows are properly sealed in and not allowing water ingress at any point around them. Also any external lockers.

I am sure other more knowledgeable people will come along with better suggestions.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Welcome aboard :drinks:
Now you have joined as a member, and are getting your Hobby van fixed up, hopefully the Fun travels/adventures in your life can now commence.
Les

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
Now I find the floor is rotten in a small area underneath the van in the corner where the water filling flap is.
[/QUOTE]

Hi and welcome. ?
I'm assuming the above is what you need solved. I would suggest you have a look at the connection between the filler cap to the hose to the tank, it could be dripping from there each time you fill the tank.
This happened to a Dutch couple we know on their Hymer and it created a puddle in their garage, although the connection had a clip, the hose was one of those coiled ribbed ones and was leaking quite badly from the joint. We disconnected the hose at the tank and removed the filler cover with hose attached. then used some blue silicone stuff, I think Fernox LSX and sealed the join then fiddled it back in. It was a sod of a job with limited access at the tank but after replacing it, the leak stopped.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back