Hi Im new to this please help šŸ˜šŸ™ˆ (1 Viewer)

Kentomo

Free Member
Sep 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Hi everyone im thinking of buying a motorhome with my boyfriend. We'd like to live in it and travel Europe. Can anyone advise on the better ones to go for and important questions to ask when buying? Any advice would be really appreciated, thankyou šŸ˜Š

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Welcomeā€¦. Thatā€™s a good budget and you should get something decentā€¦.
YouTube ā€œvanlifeā€ and that will give you a good idea what itā€™s like to full time around Europe, but please be aware that you can only stay in Europe for 90days max at a time now unles you have euro passports..

OP
OP
K

Kentomo

Free Member
Sep 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Welcomeā€¦. Thatā€™s a good budget and you should get something decentā€¦.
YouTube ā€œvanlifeā€ and that will give you a good idea what itā€™s like to full time around Europe, but please be aware that you can only stay in Europe for 90days max at a time now unles you have euro passports..
Thanks loads i'll have a look now. Yeah we know all about the schengen thing šŸ˜Ÿ my boyfriend lives in Fuerteventura it's a pain, im still in the UK at the mo. Is there a make of motorhome you'd recommend? My boyfriend likes the older style hymers

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
We were looking to spend about Ā£25,000-Ā£30,000
OK, that is a realistic budget, you are looking for an older model circa 2003-2007.
Personally I'd start by looking at older Hymers built on a Mercedes base.
Good solid vehicles, built to last.

Find the best one for you within your budget, then use that as the 'benchmark' vehicle and see if you can find better for less money elsewhere.

British built vans are cheaper than German built ones, you pay for quality.

Rust and damp are the killers of older motorhomes.
With your budget, just walk away from ones that "just need a bit of welding ...."

Decide on layout that you want.
For full timing you will need a lot of garage space, which may then mean a double bed above the garage.

Go and spend many weekends looking at vans, and make a list of 'must haves' and 'must nots'

As you are thinking of long term Euro travel a refillable gas system (GasLow for example) would be essential, as well as as much solar as you can fit on the roof. Both can be fitted after you buy, but come at a cost with a comma in it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
K

Kentomo

Free Member
Sep 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
OK, that is a realistic budget, you are looking for an older model circa 2003-2007.
Personally I'd start by looking at older Hymers built on a Mercedes base.
Good solid vehicles, built to last.

Find the best one for you within your budget, then use that as the 'benchmark' vehicle and see if you can find better for less money elsewhere.

British built vans are cheaper than German built ones, you pay for quality.

Rust and damp are the killers of older motorhomes.
With your budget, just walk away from ones that "just need a bit of welding ...."

Decide on layout that you want.
For full timing you will need a lot of garage space, which may then mean a double bed above the garage.

Go and spend many weekends looking at vans, and make a list of 'must haves' and 'must nots'

As you are thinking of long term Euro travel a refillable gas system (GasLow for example) would be essential, as well as as much solar as you can fit on the roof. Both can be fitted after you buy, but come at a cost with a comma in it.
My boyfriend does like the hymers. Thankyou lots of good advice, he did say we'd have to try and get extra solar panels on top or even those that roll up. Im not sure of the bed space, I like how models have the separate lounge area to relax in but not sure if id feel a bit claustrophobic on the raised bed

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Thanks loads i'll have a look now. Yeah we know all about the schengen thing šŸ˜Ÿ my boyfriend lives in Fuerteventura it's a pain, im still in the UK at the mo. Is there a make of motorhome you'd recommend? My boyfriend likes the older style hymers
Hymer are good, I had a newish b544, lots of research and looking at/sitting in lots of different vans to get the vibesā€¦ try and visit a large dealer to get some ideaā€™s ā€¦ good luck.šŸ˜Š

OP
OP
K

Kentomo

Free Member
Sep 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Hymer are good, I had a newish b544, lots of research and looking at/sitting in lots of different vans to get the vibesā€¦ try and visit a large dealer to get some ideaā€™s ā€¦ good luck.šŸ˜Š
Will do, thanks loads šŸ˜Š

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Do either of you have a C1 license? If not you will be restricted to motorhomes with a max weight of 3.5 tonnes, at that weight you need to pay attention to how much payload you have as it will be very easy to go over the limit. There is loads of info in the resource section if you become a member, it's well worth the Ā£20 and you can post as many questions as you like.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Hi and welcome to FUN. (y) If you pay the annual subscription youā€™ll get the money back in advise alone, as youā€™ve fund already.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
There is an excellent motorhome buyers guide in the resources section of the forum, think you need to subscribe to access it, Oh and :welcome4:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back