Hi I’m Michaela and my husband John, we’ve been motor homing since 2012 in our Roller Team 500. We are looking for some advice on a porch/awning. (1 Viewer)

Michaela

Free Member
Jun 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
Roller team 500
Exp
Hi I’m Michaela and my husband John, we’ve been motor homing since 2012 in our Roller Team 500. We are looking for some advice on a porch/awning

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Hi and welcome, first question do you have a dog? Yes/No most campsites here and abroad have a no dog or have to be under control. i,e on a lead policy, We have done this numerous times and can say that the cost of an awning leg replacement is over £60 a time. Dog sees something and sprints off after it taking awning leg with it ! Have a look on E bay and get a 4.5 mtr parasol/sunshade and base. Awning and fixing about 40 Kgs Parasol and base 15 Kgs and hell of a lot cheaper lighter and more use as can be moved around van to match the sun and dog proof, £900 cheaper, no holes drilling or fixing

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
an air type driveaway awning would be better suited than a porch

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Hi
we have one of these, a Vango air Hex. it is ideal as it does not attach to the motorhome and can be used as a pitch saver why you are out and about.
1592215066399.png

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
really it depends on what you want it for and how you use your van you can have fixed ,drive away or unattached we use a quest popup nice to eat in store chairs etc and no faff if we take the van out

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Wouldn't bother with an awning. Have one on the van as it came with it but prefer to use the pop up instead. If I had a choice I would use a sun canopy shade that clips to the van or on a rail. Awnings are too expensive and too heavy. (y)

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
As per other replies depends on your usage. We had dogs and used inflatable kampa awning which was great but heavy and bulky although quick to put up and pack away. We used it all winter in spain as a permanent set up no problems which means picking your campsite very carefully for access to shops etc by bike but not ideal for just one nighters here and there. We used roll out awning attached to van for those if at all.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Hi
we have one of these, a Vango air Hex. it is ideal as it does not attach to the motorhome and can be used as a pitch saver why you are out and about.
View attachment 398560

Looks good, could you tell me how long it is to erect and the overall quality, what's it like in the wind etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Looks good, could you tell me how long it is to erect and the overall quality, what's it like in the wind etc.
hi Paul
We have had the Hex for about 3 years now. it is very easy to put up and comes with pump, we use the pump it came with rather than an electric one as it is so easy to inflate. it comes with plenty of guide ropes, to be honest we have never had an issue with the wind, it is very stable.
we find it is quite spacious inside about 3.5 metres (i think). the hex does not have any plastic windows it has mesh window coverings to stop the wind, and comes with zip up covers for the mesh windows. it has three doors which all can be opened in the summer to create a gazebo type affair

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back