Hi I’m looking for a solution to keep my motor home cool in this hot weather we are experiencing! Thanks in advance (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Since 2017
Hi I’m looking for a solution on how to keep my motor home cool in the his hot weather we are experiencing! Thanks in advance

Solution
I'm sat in front of a 16" pedestal fan at the moment after my dog walk.
Sweating buckets when I got home... Quite chilly, but nice, now.

If you have an awning put it out, open the door and any windows on that side, close windows on the other side and open all roof vents.
Hot Air being expelled through the vents will draw in cooler air from the awning.
Not much cooler but every bit helps.
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
If you are on a pitch with a water supply, attach your hose and wet down the van, especially the roof.

If you can get water to pool on the roof, all the better.

Latent heat of evaporation will help a little, and free.

For yourself, wet a towel and lie under it, in front of a fan, the same principle will cool you.

If you are on the move, wear cotton clothes, shower in them, let the worst drain off and then just drive in them, as you drive again as they dry you will be cooled.

Minimalist, a cotton hat, soak it and wear it. Your brains will be cooled.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'm sat in front of a 16" pedestal fan at the moment after my dog walk.
Sweating buckets when I got home... Quite chilly, but nice, now.

If you have an awning put it out, open the door and any windows on that side, close windows on the other side and open all roof vents.
Hot Air being expelled through the vents will draw in cooler air from the awning.
Not much cooler but every bit helps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Please don't abuse it by posting the same question twice.
I assume the heat has got to you too.
I feel Jim will be along soon to revoke your amateur Moderator status.
I hear the weather's good in Coventry too

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Please don't abuse it by posting the same question twice.

Abuse! Lots of newbies post a question in different forum sections as they don't realise how they are connected. They think they might get a better response in another section. I will quietly merge them and drop them a note. Forums can be a mystery for some only used to social media. it doesn't take them long to learn. It's certainly not abuse. Your misinterpretation of this and the rude tone of your message certainly won't encourage newbies to post. :doh:

Upvote 1
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
If you are on a pitch with a water supply, attach your hose and wet down the van, especially the roof.

If you can get water to pool on the roof, all the better.

Latent heat of evaporation will help a little, and free.

For yourself, wet a towel and lie under it, in front of a fan, the same principle will cool you.

If you are on the move, wear cotton clothes, shower in them, let the worst drain off and then just drive in them, as you drive again as they dry you will be cooled.

Minimalist, a cotton hat, soak it and wear it. Your brains will be cooled.
Good idea but I think you may fall foul of the wardens as most camp sites water is metered and using water like this (or cleaning the van as one guy did in front of us 2 weeks ago ) would be frowned upon. 😙

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Solar panels will provide shade and keep the sun off the roof. Close the blinds on the sunny side to keep the sun out. Windscreen blinds, especially exterior reflective ones, will help. When it's very hot, some people cover the top of the skylights with something like aluminium foil.

Light passes easily through glass, as everyone knows. It hits a surface, gets absorbed, and turns into heat. Heat doesn't go through glass so easily, so the heat builds up. Classic greenhouse effect.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Just been out to my van..... And complete contrast to yesterday....

Yesterday I went in and all the surfaces were red hot to touch..... so...

Closed all the blinds, windows/roof/windscreen... nearly dark in there.... but..

Oh so cool.... it was amazing the difference.... and that is with a metal bodied van... (y)

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Just been out to my van..... And complete contrast to yesterday....

Yesterday I went in and all the surfaces were red hot to touch..... so...

Closed all the blinds, windows/roof/windscreen... nearly dark in there.... but..

Oh so cool.... it was amazing the difference.... and that is with a metal bodied van... (y)
Nice one proves the insulation works 👍🏻

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Buy a portable a/c unit.
My experience with air con is that only 240v systems actually work, so be careful if you decide to buy a 12v air con system. There is a small portable 240v system (cool my camper) where one part hangs out of the window, so must be removed when travelling, but the outside unit is quite heavy to lift, but it does work !!!

The best advice is to try to stop the van getting hot in the first place, so the advice to park in the shade, cover windows with external blinds where possible etc are all good tips.

Upvote 0

John H.

Free Member
Apr 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
A long time
Let's hope the newbie you were rude to is not quite as sensitive as you then.
It has nothing to do with being sensitive.

I have better things to do than take the trouble to try to help somebody, only to find that they have asked the same question somewhere else on the same forum.

The only other forum which I use frowns very severly on subjects that are posted twice. I believe they have it right.

Upvote 0

gerrym11

Free Member
Sep 18, 2020
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Just a year
It has nothing to do with being sensitive.

I have better things to do than take the trouble to try to help somebody, only to find that they have asked the same question somewhere else on the same forum.

The only other forum which I use frowns very severly on subjects that are posted twice. I believe they have it right.

Get out of bed the wrong side? :)

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
In that heatwave in July we never had an issue Inside the moho during the day or night . Just proper use of open windows and closed reflective blinds kept the sunlight our and a breeze coming through and we were mid to high 30,s in terms of temperature - though pretty sure if there was no breeze or got any hotter then we would need some assistance

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If you have a roll out awning park with it facing the sun if possible. Open windows on the other side of the van. The awning helps prevent the sun striking the van & the opposite side will be in the shade.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Just back from France yesterday and had some hot times whilst there. The Maxxfan was brilliant for dropping the internal temps, especially at night.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have better things to do than take the trouble to try to help somebody
Clearly you don’t. Because You’re still posting in the thread. Though no hint of help, just rude grumbling. :doh:

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Hi I’m looking for a solution on how to keep my motor home cool in the his hot weather we are experiencing! Thanks in advance
Fit habitation a/c

But, fit one that's

*Powerful enough
*Quiet
*Suits your needs.

I am happy to advise if you could let me have more information on your motorhome.

Ive been in the RAC (refrigeration and air conditioning) as and engineer for 30 years
(i'm catching on (slowly))

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I bought a previous model of one of these a couple of years ago in anticipation of a sunny french trip. Fits perfectly between the front seats for use and only 1100watts so will work on 6amp hookup. It comes with a window fitment which I cut to fit the shape of the top of the passenger window. Sadly not been to France since I bought it but I put it back in the van yesterday just in case 🤞

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back