Hi from wrinkly newbie (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
B

Bob King

Free Member
Sep 11, 2017
Funster No
Just learned an astonishing fact about the way the MOT is abused. My Duetto was failed with lots of rust (see above) , and then passed with an observation of lots of under sealing and a PASS!! I thought that was crooked, but no, it seems that an MOT inspector is FORBIDDEN to remove under seal or wax to inspect what is underneath, and has to issue an "observation" and give the benefit of the doubt, and PASS. I am told that this abuse is rampant, and to my mind encourages a very dangerous practice.

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
Welcome from South Wiltshire

Thanks for the lesson, it shows how we should keep our wits about us, but who asks to see the MOT paperwork before handling over the lolly ? I know I would not have before reading your story. I’m not sure whether you should or should not name the ebay seller but perhaps say where they are based so others can be careful.

Hope it doesn’t tarnish your experience too badly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

Bob King

Free Member
Sep 11, 2017
Funster No
It gets worse and worse!!!!! I checked with my MOT garage tester, (the guy who did his job and failed me). He said, "Yes a tester is NOT allowed to remove the under seal, BUT he has to do the 'thumb press test', ie press with the thumb on any suspect part and if it gives, he MUST use a hammer to test the metal work THROUGH the under seal". This means that the 'tester who passed the Duetto with an advisory, did not do his job. However, there is a 3 month limit to objecting to rust not being found after a possibly fraudulent MOT pass. As the 'Pass' MOT was in late JUly 2017, they would argue that, the new rust, (which just happens to coincide with that detected on the old early July failed MOT) had occurred in the interim. I am on a lose-lose situation. I even tried the option of asking for a declaration of 'right-off', but it seems that Insurance companies only consider this in the case of road traffic accidents. Be warned peeps the world is full of s+++s and crooks trying to catch you out.

Apr 23, 2018
Cambs
Funster No
MH
In between.
Exp
Since 2017
Hi again Bob. We know Somersham well as it's only 10 minutes from us. Are you still in Cambs or have you moved away now? We are probably off to N Norfolk (Wells) soon. We haven't had our MH for long so are gradually moving in bigger circles. Enjoy your motor homing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back