Hi from wrinkly newbie (1 Viewer)

Bob King

Free Member
Sep 11, 2017
Funster No
Hi,

we are both wrinklies (78/76) and having sold our ex-homes, have decided it's our time! So we have bought a static caravan in the Costa del Sol to escape from the Welsh winters, and an automatic Duetto to eventually get us, (and our two dogs) there. Never driven on the continent, so will be asking LOTS of questions here about routes etc etc etc. See you all soon.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands.

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
animated WelcomeGroupSmiley.gif

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Welcome, and well done you two.
You go for it and enjoy your time in the sun this winter. Not jealous at all :rolleyes:
Lots of helpful folk on here to answer your queries, remember no such thing as a daft question.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Hello and welcome.what a brave thing to do, something I'd like to do buy a static in Benidorm,I love it there but unsure of the future and of staying in one place too long, we get itchy feet after 1week maybe 2. Well done you. The Engish weather can bad Welsh or otherwise. I should know being Welsh I was born with webbed feet.
PS. Oh and being a wrinkly too and not from being in the bath too Long

David Guthrie

Free Member
Oct 21, 2016
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Hi-Top
Exp
As fellow wrinklies (72 and 70) welcome! You'll find lots of useful advice here for whatever you want to know. Have a browse through the various forums (fora?) and you'll find loads of tips.
All the very best with your trip and the future!
David & Chris

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Lots of Wrinklies on this forum ... but 16 at heart ..;)

Big big big welcome.

OP
OP
B

Bob King

Free Member
Sep 11, 2017
Funster No
Thanks all for your warm welcomes. We are taking our two Bichons with us, just couldn't leave them behind for 3 or 4 months. For that reason I am investigating the Santander route via Seville, to avoid all that wandering through France. The main aim of the Duetto is to get to the warmth of Spain ASAP, but also tour UK during the warmer months. When we are in Spain, (look up SaydoParks.co.uk ) it will enable us to visit all the bits of Spain in the vicinity

OP
OP
B

Bob King

Free Member
Sep 11, 2017
Funster No
Hi, update on the Duetto, and it's all BAD, BAD news. Took it to our local garage for its MOT, 3 weeks ago. It failed abysmally, with extensive corrossion on all suspension supports and a fault on the near side brake that forbad me from moving it!!!
I couldn't understand it, as it had been sold me with a clear MOT, with an observation that it was very thickly undersealed! I, only learned about the MOT History check and loe and behold, something very stinky came to light!!!

3 weeks before I bought the scrap of rust, it had failed its MOT with almost the same list of rust failures and brake fault. Then miraculously, one week later it sailed through its MOT (with the observation)!!! My MOT tester said that the 'gunk' (his words) covered up the worse bodge-up he had seen, including cardboard patches.

I have informed the DVLA and they have passed on all the details to their 'Investigation Dept'. The 'nice young man' who sold me the rust heap, is still selling Autosleepers of the same vintage (including another Duetto), on eBay ,,, be warned!!!

I now have rather gorgeous Classic S580 Hymer, with a GENUINE clear MOT, but the garage can't start the repairs on the Duetto, untill the Investigators have finished their work, and only then, can I consider my next move, do I sell the Duetto, now with a rock solid chassis and genuine MOT, try to get my money back from the seller, sue him, or something else - eBay won't do a thing and the guy carries on!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bob King

Free Member
Sep 11, 2017
Funster No
Hi, snailtrailer and St Ivian, thanks for your commiserations and greets.

snailtrailer, my first big (learning) trip in the Hymer, will be to the Norfolk Broads and St Ivian, my late wife and I lived in a small village called Somersham, with two Horses, two dogs and a Boat, so I know St Ives well, used to moor there often.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi,

we are both wrinklies (78/76) and having sold our ex-homes, have decided it's our time! So we have bought a static caravan in the Costa del Sol to escape from the Welsh winters, and an automatic Duetto to eventually get us, (and our two dogs) there. Never driven on the continent, so will be asking LOTS of questions here about routes etc etc etc. See you all soon.

Good on you ...... welcome. :) xx

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
What a pain..... But enjoy your trip in the Hymer and try to move on.. Lots of interesting places to see and things to learn about your new van. Good to see you haven't been put off by this bad experience.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the Duetto. You never know, despite paying out for repairs you may still make a profit. Now is THE time that people are looking to purchase campervans and motorhomes and so prices always go up at this time of year.

Mar 3, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since 2013
Sorry to hear about that experience.... but the pair of you obviously have great resolve and a positive look to the future... I admire your attitude and at 63 will hope to follow in your footsteps when I sell my house...
Welcome to the club....:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back