Hi from Sussex! (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
New owner
Exp
new
Hi everyone👋

Have been lurking for a while and found you lot very useful for gathering information (plus a fair amount of entertaining nonsense obvs) while we get ourselves ready to take the plunge. Have had our eye on a Rimor Seal 50 for a while now as the layout is perfect for us. We have ended up buying a 2022 model that was on display at the Dusseldorf Fair the other week. Left hand drive obviously but we plan on being on the continent mainly. Hoping to pick it up in the next week or so. Have read lots on here about payload and how restrictive these motorhomes can be so going into this aware of that. We have 4 little kids, total weight of all 6 of us is about 200Kgs. First stop will be the weigh bridge to see what we have to play with now that we have a few extras onboard. Nearest one is in Goddards Green, West Sussex. Anyone used it? Alternatively will be down to the one in Shoreham I’ve heard about on here. If we need to we will plate it up to 3750 or whatever we can get without modifications as I have a C1 licence.

Actually first stop will be the MOT garage nearby so I can get the NOVA paperwork done, hopefully that won’t be too much of an ordeal. We are all very excited about getting it, especially the kids. I’ve briefed everyone on the importance of waving to all oncoming motorhomes and they will be taking that job very seriously.

Big thanks to you all for the information you share!

OP
OP
Vintner
Aug 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
New owner
Exp
new
Hello and Welcome.

The Shoreham weigh bridge has not been working for several months and believe it may have been removed.
oh that's a shame, that sounded quite handy (and free)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Welcome from a former Worthing resident, now freezing his bits off in the sunny Kingdom of Fife ... Elaine and I don't need 4 kids in addition to 2 adults to make 200kg. We can exceed target unaided ... :rolleyes: :LOL:

Steve [Worthing] & Elaine [the Scot]

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I live less than 2 miles from Richardson's Metal Recycling (aka scrapyard) weighbridge at Goddards Green and have used it several times just before Covid. Easy access as they have gurt great trucks in and out every day. I went past today and they were open so I guess the weighbridge is functioning.

(I went to school and youth club with the Richardson brothers. I also knew their grandfather who was a rag and bone man in Brighton with a barrow. I'm pretty sure that from my conversations with them both sons are millionaires. The last time I pulled into their yard with my m/h Bernie Richardson stuck his head out of the weighbridge kiosk window and shouted: "Sorry mate, we don't take vehicles". How we laughed!).

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Welcome from West Sussex.

The trouble with children is, they have a habit of getting bigger and heavier. Upgrading to 3750kg, without modification, won't increase your rear axle permissable load, which is normally where the extra load capacity is required.

There aren't many seating layouts which will accommodate 4 belted passengers behind the 2 cab seats. Guess your new van allows for this. However, Italian vans do tend to be designed around larger families.

OP
OP
Vintner
Aug 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
New owner
Exp
new
I live less than 2 miles from Richardson's Metal Recycling (aka scrapyard) weighbridge at Goddards Green and have used it several times just before Covid. Easy access as they have gurt great trucks in and out every day. I went past today and they were open so I guess the weighbridge is functioning.

(I went to school and youth club with the Richardson brothers. I also knew their grandfather who was a rag and bone man in Brighton with a barrow. I'm pretty sure that from my conversations with them both sons are millionaires. The last time I pulled into their yard with my m/h Bernie Richardson stuck his head out of the weighbridge kiosk window and shouted: "Sorry mate, we don't take vehicles". How we laughed!).
we are practically neighbours then. So how much do they charge to weigh?

They did take vehicles 20 years ago as I took my first car there after my mother decided it was a death trap - gave me £15 for it but I had to take the tyres away.

OP
OP
Vintner
Aug 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
New owner
Exp
new
Upgrading to 3750kg, without modification, won't increase your rear axle permissable load, which is normally where the extra load capacity is required.
Yes good point, guess I'll need to load up and get both axle weights and decide from there. Plan B (or are we at C now?) is to use the trailer I have as well.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
we are practically neighbours then. So how much do they charge to weigh?

They did take vehicles 20 years ago as I took my first car there after my mother decided it was a death trap - gave me £15 for it but I had to take the tyres away.
I don't remember the cost so it couldn't have been a lot. Best to give them a ring. Both brothers have retired and I think a granddaughter runs the Goddards Green site now.
I've lived just down the road from Richardsons for 37 years but don't remember them taking vehicles - probably because I could never afford tp scrap one and kept my old rusty wrecks going with second hand spares, Isopon filler and pop rivets.. Maybe they did take vehicles but stopped when it became necessary to have a Vehicle Dismantling Licence and comply with environmental regs with regard to collection and disposal of the fluids etc.
Bridges at Pease Pottage was (still is) the 'goto' vehicle scrapyard where I spent many an hour climbing over unstable vehicles stacked three high removing parts for my old bangers but it's not allowed now - H&S regs prohibit it.

Last edited:

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Welcome from Sussex the weighbridge at Shoreham I believe is not in use at moment.
Due to layby being closed.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
Nice to see someone who has done thier research on weights & Payloads.
Although it has quite a good payload for your family you will definitely need to update.
One thing I noticed it has a very small water tank probably not a problem if you plan to use sites.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back