Hi from 'Oop North' (1 Viewer)

marydot

Free Member
Mar 8, 2010
NE coast
Funster No
Exp
caravanning for 22 years looking to get a MH
Hi, new to the forum, my OH and I have had caravans for over 20 years, but as retirement looms, we think a MH may suit our needs better. We're not in a great rush yet to buy one, will have plenty of time to compare different types etc. We hope to be spending up to 3 months at a time abroad, avoiding the worst of our winters. One thing I have noticed is an advert for a gadget to refill you own gas bottles. Is this permissible in UK petrol stations? Sounds like a great idea if it is.
Looking forward to some interesting reading on the forum.

Marydot

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Marydot..

Welcome to the fun site.....

Ask away.....There's a lot of people here willing to help with advice..:thumb:

We find the spontaniety of using a Motorhome suits our needs....Hope it works for you.

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Hi Marydot and welcome. I haven't the foggiest about a refillable gas bottle. Love the northeast and had some lovely times in Northumberland last year, around Bamburgh and up to Berwick upon Tweed.

Ivy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Hi and wlcome, take your time and when you find a model you like, find a firm that hires that model out so you can try it, and check you can live with the layout and available space

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Hi and welcome to the forum Marydot ::bigsmile: Where on MY coast do you live ::bigsmile:
flyingwelcome

Refillable gas could be referring to the Gaslow or Alugas systems -

Link Removed

www.gaslow.co.uk/

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hiya Marydot,
welcome to the site. We have one of the gad jets your talking about. We had caravans before getting our MH Dec 09. We used to rally with the caravan , in a club ,and these gas thingys were very popular with all the members. Some petrol stations are OK about using them. Some not. We don't get much use out of ours now as the heating system on the MH is diesel . So the gas is just for cooking. Made filling up a lot cheaper though.
You have a great advantage , being a caravaner. You will know which layout suits you the best already , so will probably get it right first time , and already know your way around all the inside gadgets.
If theres only the 2 of you , it will be a doddle finding one to suit.
Were a family of 5 , and 2 dogs.
We wanted a open lounge fixed bunk and big luton bed, separate shower cubicle, full oven, big fridge freezer, but didn't want a massive MH.:Doh:
We found the ideal one for us eventually . Haven't looked back. We've used it loads , most weekends , since getting it, the back end of December. Cant wait for the better weather , looks like its finally here.
Good luck, ask away for any advice on here , someone will know the answer.
Bev
P.S. motorhomers wave or flash ( headlights!!) to each other when out and about, well most do.
Its very strange when your not used to it. Makes us giggle everytime we do it.

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
Hi and welcome to the forum

Its always woth while spending a little time lookind at various vans before spending money but also look for and take advice on decent after sales service as not all of the large outlets give the same level of service.

Yes as others have said there are a few companies selling refillable systems which you can fill up at a petol station the most common one being that sold by a company called gaslow. Like in a caravan you usually have 2 bottles and switch to the other one when the first one is empty. They obviosly cost more but if you are competent at diy then you can save a fair bit by fitting it your self. There are 2 main advantages one being the cost of gas is much cheaper taking about £5-6 to fill a 6kg bottle and also the fact that you can fill up at any time even when the bottles are half empty. THe proper refillables bottles have an auto cut off so you cant fill more than 80% full to leave an air space.
A lot of folks will say that it takes a lot of time to pay for itself but i persoally think the conveiniece is worth the outlay. You can then get adaptors so that you can fill up in most european countries without having wo worry about having different bottles. And in any case if every accessory we had on our vans had to pay for itself then there wouldnt be satallite dishes, awnings or anything else like that fitted would there.

Good luck

Phill

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Hi and Welcome

Hope you find your perfect M/H in due course.

Dellwood33
I spent many happy times on Redcar beach when I was a child, getting jugs of tea from the cafe and the little train that ran along the beach, but like anywhere times change and not always for the better ::bigsmile:

Dale

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Hi and Welcome

Hope you find your perfect M/H in due course.

Dellwood33
I spent many happy times on Redcar beach when I was a child, getting jugs of tea from the cafe and the little train that ran along the beach, but like anywhere times change and not always for the better ::bigsmile:

Dale

Hey Dale - It's probably just looking at places with adult eyes, or maybe that's old Grump :Blush:, although Redcar has gone downhill since we went there as kids. The same is true of Whitley Bay, Cullercoats & Tynemouth where I live, drive through them now & wonder what I ever saw in the places :Sad:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi, new to the forum, my OH and I have had caravans for over 20 years, but as retirement looms, we think a MH may suit our needs better. We're not in a great rush yet to buy one, will have plenty of time to compare different types etc. We hope to be spending up to 3 months at a time abroad, avoiding the worst of our winters. One thing I have noticed is an advert for a gadget to refill you own gas bottles. Is this permissible in UK petrol stations? Sounds like a great idea if it is.
Looking forward to some interesting reading on the forum.

Marydot

sithie old lad weres thar from I came brid old lad, was thar close
Ny wya welcome from me ....Mel:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Sad to see all of the businesses closed though :Sad:

Certainly is. Happening all over though. Middlesbrough & Stockton seem to have proportionally as many empty shops.

We actually went to Redcar on Saturday specially because the only local branch of Motor World is there - three in Middlesbrough closed last year.

Getting back to the question of gas bottles. Our van takes two 6Kg bottles. We looked at Gaslow and at our gas usage and decided that the payback time was to long so stuck with Calor. It's something we will look at again from time to time though and, just like battery usage, it all depends on individual circumstances.

Graham

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
We used to go to Barmston every year for our holidays. I can remember seeing less and less of it each year we went all the bungalows ended up in the sea!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
hi and welcome to the site, the propane gas refill adapter commonly found on fleabay certainly does the job, is safe to use and will save around 50% on gas cost. Three refills and you have paid for it. I have never had a problem using one and never been refused LPG by a garage.
Not currently a uk company selling one on ebay but there is this one.
Link Removed

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
My mum used to work in an ice cream parlour, that Chris Rea's Grandfather owned, long time ago in Redcar. Forgot to say I was born in Middlesbrough and moved away in 1968 when I was 9 and still have relatives that live there.

Dale

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
My mum used to work in an ice cream parlour, that Chris Rea's Grandfather owned, long time ago in Redcar. Forgot to say I was born in Middlesbrough and moved away in 1968 when I was 9 and still have relatives that live there.

Dale

Just missed you then Dale. I moved here in September 1968 for college. Only intended to stay a couple of years but then met Jill (who was born here) and was told my exit visa wasn't valid :roflmto::roflmto:

Graham

OP
OP
marydot

marydot

Free Member
Mar 8, 2010
NE coast
Funster No
Exp
Hi and welcome to the forum Marydot ::bigsmile: Where on MY coast do you live ::bigsmile:
flyingwelcome

Refillable gas could be referring to the Gaslow or Alugas systems -

Link Removed

www.gaslow.co.uk/
Hi Dellwood, we live in Hartlepool, on the Headland where St Hilda originally built her abbey. However the house has just gone on the market, and we will be moving to Bishop Auckland sometime this year, and releasing some capital - I feel a new MH coming on!

OP
OP
marydot

marydot

Free Member
Mar 8, 2010
NE coast
Funster No
Exp
Hiya Marydot,

P.S. motorhomers wave or flash ( headlights!!) to each other when out and about, well most do.
Its very strange when your not used to it. Makes us giggle everytime we do it.
Thanks for the welcome. We used to get 'flashed at' a lot years ago when we had a 2CV - but that's another ball game!

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Hi Dellwood, we live in Hartlepool, on the Headland where St Hilda originally built her abbey. However the house has just gone on the market, and we will be moving to Bishop Auckland sometime this year, and releasing some capital - I feel a new MH coming on!

A good rental opportunity for the Tall Ships race later in the year if you don't sell it :Smile:
Used to fish a lot from the gare and played against West in my rugby days. Unlike Redcar, Hartlepool is a town on the UP ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back