Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Hi,

Most of the members on this site will know us and I know the majority of members already on Motorhome Fun.

For those who don't we are a British couple in our prime years of life currently touring the USA in a 2005 Fleetwood Discovery 39S with 2008 Jeep Liberty Ltd toad vehicle.

I took early retirement back in 2004 then we spent 7 months in a caravan in Spain which is where we originally intended to settle on my retirement.

One day however we both decided that we hadn't seen enough of this world on which we live so decided to tour starting with the USA & Canada.

At the time the s**t had just hit the fan with regard to the size of American RV's being imported into the UK.

A few months later we were advised to wait whilst talks took place to sort out the mess between the DVLA and RV dealers.

SMMT were commissioned by the DVLA to compile a list of approved and none approved British, European & American motor homes which I closely monitored..

In June 2007 things started to look good so we place our house on the market which sold within 5 weeks, we also had the offer of a villa in Florida at a cheap rate in Sept unfortunately we couldn't get a flight until 14th Oct :Sad:

We also became very interested in a Fleetwood Discovery that a friend was selling and which also appeared on the SMMT/DVLA approved list.:Smile:

Just before we flew out to Florida we were learnt that the SMMT/DVLA list had been scrapped and replaced with statements like," So long as the vehicle is 2.55m or less in width and 12m or less in length you are ok"

BUT WHERE ARE THESE MEASUREMENT TAKEN FROM?:Doh:

As I see it we are back to square one with the DVLA and the RV dealers behaving like 007 & Mi5 claiming they have secret information that they cannot pass on to the pheasants :Blush: sorry I mean general public.

Oh well until then we will continue to tour the US & Canada and enjoy this beautiful country for which RV's were built.:thumb:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Hi Mick & Pat.......glad you found us! :thumb:

Well done on achieving your goal, can't say I am not just a teensy weensy bit envious of you right now :roflmto:

Enjoy your travels and please, keep us posted as to how you go on along the way.

As for the DVLA, stuff 'em (for now at least) and don't let them spoil your adventure! ::bigsmile:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Hi guys you got here at last.

Worry about the DVLA later.

Mick please put your clip of customer service lines on here in the belly locker as the clip brilliant.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Mick and Pat, welcome to the fun, I look forward to hearing about your travels. :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Same old faces in the same old places... :roflmto::roflmto:

Welcome to the fun house.. good luck with your travels .. :winky:

2escapees

Deleted User
USA Here we come!

Hi

Whilst you're there can you confirm the visa situation, we intend to ship our motorhome to the USA at some point for an extended trip and tour. But we are told you can only get visas for 6 months and then you have to leave. Is that so?

2escapees

Deleted User
Merci

MicknPat

Thanks we went to the US Embassy in Paris and got a 10 year visa but we were still told that visits would be restricted to 6 months. Still it should not be a problem cos we can pop into Mexico and Canada for a break and then go back.

Cheers

Mike

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hiya MicknPat,

Looking forward to hearing more of your travels across the USA.

WELCOME TO THE SITE AND KEEP THOSE POSTS COMING.:thumb:

U

ukrv

Deleted User
Hi Mike

We spent a total of 16 months in the US and Canada last year.

We did 5 months US, then 3 months Canada (plus 1 month+ in Alaska) and a further 6 months US.

This meant our Visa limit had expired 1 month before we were booked to leave, so we completed a Visa Extension Application ($200).

Others have taken cruises from Miami and got a fresh stamp on their return.

BUT, and it is a big but - they do appear to be clamping down a lot now.

Whilst we were there, we met two couples who had done the US/Mexico/US thing for 2 or 3 years and they were told they would not be allowed to do it again.

We had grief at the Niagra Falls border and were told we were "pushing our luck".

A friend has just gone back to the US and had to sit thru an interview at the airport where every visit in and out of the US was shown to them and they were told not to abuse the system any longer.

So, you will need to have a back-up plan just in case they don't like you.

Paul

OP
OP
MicknPat

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Hi Mike

BUT, and it is a big but - they do appear to be clamping down a lot now.

Whilst we were there, we met two couples who had done the US/Mexico/US thing for 2 or 3 years and they were told they would not be allowed to do it again.

A friend has just gone back to the US and had to sit through an interview at the airport where every visit in and out of the US was shown to them and they were told not to abuse the system any longer.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I believe the 'friend' you mention are also 'friends' of ours as well so we know first hand what they were subjected to.:Sad:

We also had to endure a 'lecture' upon first arrival and presentation of our visa into the USA :whistle: but after his lecture the customs officer much to our surprise went on to suggest that NOW was a good time to but an American Property.:Eeek:

When we meet and tell our new American friends of these Border Incidents they ALL ask the same question.......WHY?

Paul, What I would give to know the answer to that question, but to be quite honest I genuinely fear that trying to find the answer in this day and age could jeopardise any future visa applications we may make.

We would be only to willing to sign any form stating that we will NOT claim from either the American Social Services or Health Scheme during our time in the USA.

In the short time we have been in the USA I would estimate that we have already spent thousands of $$$$$'s

ANYONE out there who may have the answer?

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Mick they read these forums, and see posts like "Rip off Britain" and how the place is going to the dogs with PC Correctness, H&S, immigrants, etc. and think we all want to be over there. ::bigsmile:

Olley

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back