Hi from Lisbon and London (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Apologies for my clumsy attempt to draw attention to ourselves. We're pretty new to motorhomes but have had years of experience with boating and, now living between London and Lisbon, have decided to commit ourselves to a Chausson 515 on a Fiat Ducato 130 base unit.

The choice of this van was influenced by the experience of relatives, who have a 510 and spend much of their year visiting far flung members of family. I guess if it is good enough for them (and they love both the m/h and the lifestyle) then we reckoned it would work for us. The base unit wasn't so much a matter of choice, it was what was in stock. Being so ubiquitous, I felt we couldn't go too far wrong with the Ducato, the Euro 5 engine seems to have become pretty much the standard, and in any case, I have a long and uncomfortable history with Ford.

The kids having grown up, we wanted a fixed bed layout, so took the opportunity of a (not so good in hindsight) discount on the 515 largely on the basis it was similar to that of our last boat. Our first real test is later this week, when we are going over to Santander to get the van over to our other place. The intention is to do the 500 or so miles gently, taking in a bit of northern Spain, the Estrella mountains on the border and sampling what Porto produces so well.

From looking at these forums, people generally seem helpful and welcoming, and hopefully we can learn a lot and perhaps even contribute where we can. Thanks for having us.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
welcome animated smiley.gif

OP
OP
pyro
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Thanks for the friendly greetings folks. I reckon we've come to the right place

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Apologies for my clumsy attempt to draw attention to ourselves. We're pretty new to motorhomes but have had years of experience with boating and, now living between London and Lisbon, have decided to commit ourselves to a Chausson 515 on a Fiat Ducato 130 base unit.

The choice of this van was influenced by the experience of relatives, who have a 510 and spend much of their year visiting far flung members of family. I guess if it is good enough for them (and they love both the m/h and the lifestyle) then we reckoned it would work for us. The base unit wasn't so much a matter of choice, it was what was in stock. Being so ubiquitous, I felt we couldn't go too far wrong with the Ducato, the Euro 5 engine seems to have become pretty much the standard, and in any case, I have a long and uncomfortable history with Ford.

The kids having grown up, we wanted a fixed bed layout, so took the opportunity of a (not so good in hindsight) discount on the 515 largely on the basis it was similar to that of our last boat. Our first real test is later this week, when we are going over to Santander to get the van over to our other place. The intention is to do the 500 or so miles gently, taking in a bit of northern Spain, the Estrella mountains on the border and sampling what Porto produces so well.

From looking at these forums, people generally seem helpful and welcoming, and hopefully we can learn a lot and perhaps even contribute where we can. Thanks for having us.
Welcome! I am sure you will enjoy it. How are you getting to Santander? There are problems with the Pont Aven at the moment if you haven't heard. We were supposed to be sailing from Plymouth today but that was cancelled and we might be leaving from Portsmouth on Tuesday but I'm not holding my breath. :)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Good move going for the fixed bed straight off!

OP
OP
pyro
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Thanks both. @DBK - Plymouth to Santander on the Friday sailing. Just checked their site:

"Pont Aven - Santander - Portsmouth on 9th May 2016 at 15h15
We're sorry to inform you that due to an isolated technical problem with the ship's propeller shaft, this sailing has been cancelled"

Hmm, that could be a worry as we'll be working to a schedule (dentist in Lisbon late Monday :(), so it may mean the awful drive through France instead. Here's hoping

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks both. @DBK - Plymouth to Santander on the Friday sailing. Just checked their site:

"Pont Aven - Santander - Portsmouth on 9th May 2016 at 15h15
We're sorry to inform you that due to an isolated technical problem with the ship's propeller shaft, this sailing has been cancelled"

Hmm, that could be a worry as we'll be working to a schedule (dentist in Lisbon late Monday :(), so it may mean the awful drive through France instead. Here's hoping
It's still supposed to be sailing from Portsmouth on Tuesday, assuming it is fixed tomorrow in Brest. Worth calling BF tomorrow, I will be.

We have been discussing this in the latest posts here: http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/three-go-adventuring-again.130193/page-3

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
:hiya2: Pyro, welcome to the fun (y)

If you're not sure about any aspect of the forums, check out Broken Link Removed

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Hi and another :pink: from a recent purchaser of property in Alentejo where we split our time with France.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back