Free Member
Sep 21, 2014
Grimsby-uk
Funster No
MH
Just looking to convert
Exp
Newby! Breaking a Swift caravan for a conversion
Hi!! Just stepping into the conversion minefield!! (n) Already baffled as to how I should insure prior to actually collecting the van etc!
Like many, I'm sure, had a vision of being able to work on this project in my spare time throughout the winter, but while reading through the insurance details, they kind of indicate a time limit to do the conversion!
So searching around for info I came across this forum, which I must say seems very friendly indeed !!
Any pointers on this would be gratefully received :).....Mike

OP
OP
Mike Whittaker

Mike Whittaker

Free Member
Sep 21, 2014
Grimsby-uk
Funster No
MH
Just looking to convert
Exp
Thank you very much Scot !! I think I've, after a bit more searching , managed to answer my own question!! :eek:)

When to Change the Vehicle Classification
You should change the classification of your vehicle from 'Panel Van' to 'Motor Caravan' when your conversion is nearly complete, once the major fittings are in place (bed, kitchen) and it looks neat and tidy. Once you think you satisfy all of the conditions mentioned above, contact the DVLA and start the re-classification process.
You don't want any vehicle inspectors to think it is not finished, so ensure it looks finished before you apply for the change.
Don't worry about finishing touches, you can always complete these once the vehicle is re-registered.
Insurance
Once your vehicle has been officially re-classified by the DVLA, you will need to change your insurance. Your original insurance will be for a 'Panel Van', and your vehicle is no longer one. So you need to cancel your existing policy, and get a new policy for a Camper van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mike Whittaker

Mike Whittaker

Free Member
Sep 21, 2014
Grimsby-uk
Funster No
MH
Just looking to convert
Exp
Thanks very much David!! I'm trying to do it with an Iveco daily, if I can get one to suite! :)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Mike, my daughter was told she had six months to convert by Adrian Flux ... but they didn't really push once the six months were up. I am not recommending Adrian Flux by the way but hope the info helps you.

Are you going to pop over and say hello to us all at Lincoln next weekend?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
You live in the right place for your bits and pieces with Magnums on your doorstep.
I also suggest that you join SBMCC .

Mike

OP
OP
Mike Whittaker

Mike Whittaker

Free Member
Sep 21, 2014
Grimsby-uk
Funster No
MH
Just looking to convert
Exp
Ha !:LOL: It's a habit Mariner ! I post stuff to a lot of international boards on FB & stuff like that! Many thanks for the welcome!

Thanks for that Movan!! Sounds like a bit less pressure !! :) When I first started looking into it I was quite surprised by all that!... I just thought you insured it as a van & then informed DVLA for change of use!! Always something new to learn!

Thanks Mike!! :) I know where you mean, I've had caravan stuff from there in the past!

OP
OP
Mike Whittaker

Mike Whittaker

Free Member
Sep 21, 2014
Grimsby-uk
Funster No
MH
Just looking to convert
Exp
Thank you Momo!! (y)

OP
OP
Mike Whittaker

Mike Whittaker

Free Member
Sep 21, 2014
Grimsby-uk
Funster No
MH
Just looking to convert
Exp
Are you going to pop over and say hello to us all at Lincoln next weekend?

Not be venturing far for a while movan! :( Too much work on at the moment! ... Sorry about all the replies :) Not figured how to edit posts on here yet!!

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, and welcome from sunny Scunny, from another Whittaker.
Cheers, Dave(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back