Hi from Cambridge and Towing a car on an A-frame in Europe post-Brexit. (1 Viewer)

Aug 17, 2021
Cambridge, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner TL680G
Exp
Since 2019 but before in Australia and NZ. Not used it yet in Europe. Previous keen caravanner.
Hi all, good to join you! We used to have a caravan which we kept most of the time in Yorkshire. We loved motorhoming in Australia and New Zealand so, when a wheeel fell off our caravan whicle we were touring, we went for a motorhome here. Thinking we knew what we wanted because of our caravans, rened motorhomes and because we'd been thinking about it for a long time, we bought a lovely Burstner in 2018, but we then learnt that we didn't know what we wanted and changed it in 2019 for a different Burstner which is spot on (better kitchen and a bed without the possibility of falling out from a height onto the front seats!) The bed still comes down from the roof but does it along the length of the 'van right down to seat level without losing wall cupboards. Gorgeous bathroom and lots of storage too.
Medical problems stop us using bikes so we tow a car on an A-frame. We want to go to Europe and the A-frame company says they have checked and it is still legal everywhere except Spain as all the other countries have signed to appropriate part of the Geneva Convention which recognises our laws - in fact they say it is only the Basque areas where people have problems but I have also heard that the Spanish have check points at the border looking for A-frames and I saw a post here saying they weren't allowed to book a ferry to Spain with a car on an A-frame. I would love to hear about youir experiences in Europe post-Brexit with a car on an A-frame, please. Also, if using a trailer, is it easy to park that as well as a car and a motorhome on European sites?
Cheers
Mike

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Much discussed on here. Consensus seems to be - don't. There is some view that it illegal even in UK so not legal in Europe.

You could offer to be a test case :giggle:

Use a trailer if you really want to use a car in Europe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Unfortunately the companies selling A frames will say anything to get a sale, they are not even legal in this country as no law has been passed which says that they are. It is only the DVLA,‘s interpretation that it becomes a trailer that is used as a reasonable reason to use them.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
A frames are legal in Europe of course
they are. And how about a deal on a timeshare apartment on waste ground by the sewage works? No smell of bull $hit there either

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Hi all, good to join you! We used to have a caravan which we kept most of the time in Yorkshire. We loved motorhoming in Australia and New Zealand so, when a wheeel fell off our caravan whicle we were touring, we went for a motorhome here. Thinking we knew what we wanted because of our caravans, rened motorhomes and because we'd been thinking about it for a long time, we bought a lovely Burstner in 2018, but we then learnt that we didn't know what we wanted and changed it in 2019 for a different Burstner which is spot on (better kitchen and a bed without the possibility of falling out from a height onto the front seats!) The bed still comes down from the roof but does it along the length of the 'van right down to seat level without losing wall cupboards. Gorgeous bathroom and lots of storage too.
Medical problems stop us using bikes so we tow a car on an A-frame. We want to go to Europe and the A-frame company says they have checked and it is still legal everywhere except Spain as all the other countries have signed to appropriate part of the Geneva Convention which recognises our laws - in fact they say it is only the Basque areas where people have problems but I have also heard that the Spanish have check points at the border looking for A-frames and I saw a post here saying they weren't allowed to book a ferry to Spain with a car on an A-frame. I would love to hear about youir experiences in Europe post-Brexit with a car on an A-frame, please. Also, if using a trailer, is it easy to park that as well as a car and a motorhome on European sites?
Cheers
Mike
Sorry to be negative but If your A-frame company is so sure of its facts ask them for a written assurance that they will cover any fines incurred or other cost's if your pulled over .

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks for yuor advice everyone. Your answers are as I feared!!! Sounds like a trailer.....
We used to take a Citroen C1 to Spain on a trailer which was fine as we stayed in one place for a few months. My advice would be to get a car as small as you can manage with and a trailer where it more or less just fits on. Also if the funds run to it get a trailer fitted with a mover as it will make life easier and I suggest that you change the wheel on the jockey thingy to a pneumatic one, I had twin jockey wheels on mine which also helped.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Having stayed on many EU campsites and seen many towed trailers and cars, my response to your question about pitches is: many EU pitches, especially in Italy average 7m x 10m. We've seen many trailers parked off pitch as there was no room. However, you can also find 8,9,10 x 10 metre pitches which would accommodate motorhome + awning + trailer + car. Plus of course many EU campsites have irregular pitches which can be any shape/size:LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back